• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

extending JT?

Boondocks

• Premium Member

How could you say I was being stupid for suggesting a contract that averages 6.25 million per yr and you come along and say:

In reply to:

8 million is not a option....6 million sounds

right to me

Mr. Contradiction. Do you agree or disagree. As far as the yrs go, JT would be better off signing for shorter yrs. It gives him a chance to come back and renegotiate. Ask Scottie Pippen about the value of a LONNG Contract.

I think 4 years isn't a long enough contract

to be honest.Jt seems to want a 7 year

contract.Now if he decides not to sign a

smaller contract this year he is putting

himself at risk.What if he can't run the

PG?Is he worth 6 million a year?

JT would be taking a risk by not signing

a contract this offseason if possible due

because if he can't run PG is he much

better than Bobby Jackson?If JT can't

run PG he is about a 4 million per year

player at best.

I believe a 6 year 6.5 million contract

might be a good option.

IF Indeed JT would leave a 5 year 6 million

a year contract on the table then he is putting

alot of money at risk.He either don't know what

he is doing or else we can expect his best

year yet.

I think he can average 15-17PPG 7.5APG 2SPG and

provide us with offense in the 4th period.That

is about what I want from him.

That is not happening. As for JT earning his contract, based on his numbers over the last 2 years, he is already worth a contract worth an average of $8 million/season over 7 years. He might only start around $6.5 million or so but he's worth a total of at least $56 million over 7 years in my opinion right now. If he has a big year at PG this year (I think he will do great), that number is likely to increase substantially.

before? JT is a very good basketball player, period. He can play both PG and SG and be successful at either position. He may not be a superstar at SG, but he would still be one of the top 10 or so SGs in the league if he played there full time. At PG though, he has a chance to be special and that is where he needs to spend the majority of his time. If he puts up anywhere near the kind of numbers he did last year while playing PG full time, he is worth more than $8 million a season. We will be lucky to get him for that next year.

Your point is well taken though. IF (a big if) he can't play PG, his value would be diminished substantially. I just think his play during the 2nd half of last season made it clear that he can not only play PG, he can play it well.

• Premium Member

So you're saying that a 6 yr 36 million dollar deal is better than a 4 yr 25 million dollar deal?

There are points both ways. I would just think a good player is not too concerned about less yrs. Especially a good young player. Imagine if Shaq had a 4 yr contract instead of a 7 yr contract. NO way KG makes more than shaq!

Duncan went with the short Contract and is about to get PAID!

Diesel,

Did you even read the rest of my post. There is no such thing in the NBA as "A true Point guard" anymore. Never again will you see the 4 points/12 assist a game player in the NBA. They don't exist.

Here's why. The NBA athlete is bigger than he was 15 years ago, faster, stronger. Limited Zones are allowed. Offensive and Defensive encampment in the lane isn't. Scoring isn't what it was 15 years ago. The league is not run and gun. Tons of half court sets. Point guard no longer push and pass in transition, but instead walk it up and create in the half court. This requires a different kind of athlete. One that is a threat off the dribble. John Stockton might have been the first of this kind. He could dribble and create space and then pull up to shoot. This caused the defenders to draw in to his body and allowed Stockton to use one move to create space and a passing lane to the basket. Defenses would have to draw to him to keep him from popping the short J and this created space.

During the last 15 games or so JT started to do this. Instead of taking everything to the front of the rim and getting in too deep amongst the trees he would create space with that great quick first step and then get in position to pull up to shoot. This would draw a defender and he would pass to the open man. This is why the assist numbers went up over the last 15 games and no other reason. He learned the spacing of the game. The best at this today is Andre Miller. Miller works the area around 15 feet better than any other point in the game and JT was feeling that at the end of the season.

Now even though JT hasn't proven this to you yet, what you must understand is that it takes a very special athlete to be able to do this. To even try to learn it. Because JT is one of a few that not only have the handles to drive and dish but the quicks to create space and the shooting eye and talent to draw other defenders you give him the money. I'd go the full 7 at about 7.5 million/year. Say first Year at 6 mil and the last year at 9 million with the salary going up a half mil a year.

The only scenario where a prolific athlete is not necessary at the point with the scenario the Bulls were in in the 90's. The had 2 men at the 2 and 3 that could handle anyone off the dribble in MJ and Scotty. In that scenario the point didn't have to create the space as much as MJ and Pippin could do it on their own...Few NBA teams are so lucky. Kobe and Shaq make their own points look real good...These kind of Offensive weapons we don't have. We don't have Reggie Miller which is why Jamal Tinsley would have struggle here last year. We don't have Robinson and Duncan which is why Tony Parker would have struggled. One on One I take JT over either of those guys every time....EVERY TIME. Try to tell me that will Reggie Miller at the SG and Jalen Rose at the Small Forward, and JT couldn't have averaged 9 assists a game.

Get off JT...wait till we're 10 games into the season before hatin the guy. At least watch the preseason.