• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Would you have traded JT??

Diesel

• Premium Member

What the difference between Halmilton and JT? NOt much. Both are undersized 2s. IN fact, JT has better ball handling skills and would have been a good match with Billups (who is a tweener himself).

The question is would you have traded JT for Stackhouse?

If I do the math, I believe it would have been something like JT/Nazr for Stack/one of their Cs (for argument sake we'll say Rebracca).

Would you have done it?

I'm sure it was placed in front of Babcock. He obviously said no. What would you have said?

I like Stack but he has a horrible rep for not being able to get along with his teammates. This team currently has EXCELLENT chemistry and the last thing we need is to bring in someone who will disrupt that.

If that's not enough, Stack is a guy who needs the ball a lot to be effective. He shoots a low percentage but he scores a lot because of his sheer volume of shots and by his ability to get to the line. Its going to be tough enough for Lon to find enough shots for SAR, Dog and JT, could you imagine trying to find enough shots for Reef, Dog and Stack? Good grief!

Finally, I like DD but I still question whether or not he's ready to step up and be a starting caliber NBA PG on either end of the floor. I think he will get there but I think it will be a season or two before he's ready to take over as a starter on a good team.

From a talent standpoint, there's not that much difference between the 2. Both have skills that the other doesn't. I just think that I'd rather have JT when all is said and done. All that being said, IF that deal had been offered and Babs had pulled the trigger, I certainly would have understood why. Adding Stack would have given us 4 legitimate All Stars and all we would have had to do was pick up a good veteran PG. If Rod Strickland wasn't such a knucklehead, he would have been a pretty good solution. I just could'nt imagine Strick making it here though because the ATl nightlife would probably be just too much for him.

• Premium Member

I would have taken it:

1. Stack is not as bad as they say. He gets a nice number of assists too.

2. Shareef is a player that don't need many shots and with Stack and Dog putting them up, Reef would have nothing but Green acres to work with doing damage in the lane.

3. Stack would give us the dimension of a player who can drive and score.

4. We would be sealed at the SG position.

Now... With all those things in mind, what would be the move for a PG?

Well somebody said a vet?

I was thinking about maybe a non Vet?

Damon Jones and Raefer Alston are still out there.

However, if we really need a vet, I would go to the trade bar and say...

Glover/Email/CC to Denver for Mark Jackson.

I realize that Denver is on a money saving venture and wants big cash for next season. Well, here's their shot.

Can you imagine:

Jackson/Stack/Dog/SAR/Theo?

Jackson would also be the perfect guy to train DD with.

• Admin

not a point guard??

I disagree. I think he is. It just took him three years to learn how to play the position comfortably. He was placed in the SG position so that the playmaking was not thrust upon him right away and when JJ went down we had no one else to play there. Who knew he would have flourished like he did. That did not mean he could not play pg, it just meant that he was doing so well at sg why switch him over. As DG, DJ and Ira developed and with the trading of Brevin KNight, there came a need for him to play PG again. Now with some experience and some confidence JT showd that he can more than man this position too where he is meant to play.

No I would not trade JT for Stack or Hamilton. We do not need another swingman to go with the pletera we have now. We need JT more as a PG than we need a talented sg. If we did do that trade we would have Dickeau as our point guard and if that happened you can count any chance at the playoffs goodbye. An untested rookie who had a decent, yes only a decent summer league season. That does not make a starter on a playoff potential team. JT is our man at the point and to trade him for another shooting guard without a starting pg coming in return would be a MONUMENTAL mistake.

• Premium Member

I think JT is more of a SG than a PG but that's not the same as saying he's not a PG.

PGing is hard. For JT, it doesn't come naturally. It's taken JT to come this far as a PG, but where is he? Is he allstar calibre PG? NO... But he's almost an allstar caliber 2. The problem is that he is undersized and causes matchup problems as a 2.

So is the conversion complete? NOT yet. It would have been really good for Atl to bring in Kevin Johnson to work with JT a long time ago. KJ knows what it is to be a undersized Sg that can score. He could have helped JT progress faster than he has. Instead, we have JT watching and learning from guys like Cassell. A shoot first PG.

He didn't get along with AI in Philly. He didn't get along with Hill when Hill was a Piston. He reportedly didn't get along with Ben Wallace last year. He punched Laettner out when Laettner was a Piston. Sounds like there are issues there to me.

Why did Detroit make this deal if Stack is so great? It's NOT about caproom for next year because they would have had that anyway. The Pistons decided they did not want Stack for some reason. I just don't think the move was completely a basketball decision because I think Stack is a better player than Hamilton.

As far as the number of assists go, when you dominate the ball almost every time down the floor, you had better get a decent number of assists. Besides, when Chucky Atkins and Damon Jones are your PGs, SOMEBODY has to pass the ball.

Shareef doesn't need many shots? How do you know? He has been the number one option on every team he has EVER played for! How do you know what would happen if that changed? Besides, surely you aren't suggesting that we would take shots away from Reef (who shot better than 46% last year), to give more shots to Stack (who shot less than 40% last year)?

Stack WOULD give us the dimension of a player who can drive and score and that would be good.

We WOULD be in good shape at the SG position as long as Stack got along with his teammates and didn't cause a problem by demanding too many shots.

As far as PGs go, Rafer Alston and Damon Jones aren't exactly what I would be looking for from a PG perspective. Alston is a show boat who lacks fundamnetals at this point and Jones is a very good shooter who lacks true PG skills. I would want someone who could come in and effectively run the show WHEN (not if) DD struggled. I would have even taken Travis Best over Alston or Jones. Jackson would be a fine mentor but he's too old to be effective anymore. He never was a great defender and now he's too slow to guard anyone.

As I said before, I'd rather have JT for THIS team than Stack. I don't necessarily think JT is the better player, I just think he's a better fit for this team.

Diesel has a thing non clutch players.lol

We already have 2 and now Diesel wants

a 3rd non clutch guy that can't produce in

the playoffs.But Diesel would have this

tream destroyed.Looks like he wants to

be a underachieving team to be sure.I guess

1985-1998 got to his head.No clutch players

and not finals.

Stack only made 6 mil, said he was going to opt out and look for MAX money in part for all the years he was the central part of the team but wasn't paid like it. He didn't demand it yet from the wiz, he just felt the pistons owed him that much or so I've read.

No I wouldn't have done that trade, Stack might be a slight upgrade in talent but the cap would have been pretty bad limiting breathing room for management.

JT, well I just want him to wear small socks if you know what I mean.

OH and Rafer Alston has been signed by the GSWarriors.