• Raised $390 of $700 target

Gibson vs Rondo

exodus

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Rondo comes out this yr I have my doubrts he would be a top 5 selection only because he can't score.He can certainly do everything else but your point guard needs to put up some points and be a threat. The mentioned Brevin Knight comparsion.When your drafting the top 3 you need a guy who can do alot of things.Daniel Gibson had 20 points but only 2 asst tonight.I hope Brewer or someone else steps.

I disagree to some extent. I think we are the kind of team that currently has a ton of good weapons going unused. We need a PG who can set our other players. JJ, Childress, and particularly Smoove could really use a good distributor. Also, scoring is the easiest thing to learn in my opinion, especially for a guy who is that quick. It is much harder to teach a score first PG to distribute. I think a Rondo-JJ backcourt is a good balance of scoring, distribution, rebounding ... you name it. It's the first game that I've really focused on him and evaluated him as a potential draftee, but I like what I've seen so far.

I do agree that I don't think that he'll be a concensus top 3 (5?) pick, but I think he fits our particular needs quite well. If we go for a PG, I am much, MUCH more concerned with his ability to run an offense and set other players up than I am with his scoring.

Maybe we should look at Rondo like a Maurcie Cheeks type.Cheeks didn't score much but put alot of pressure on other teams by doing the other things.The way this season is going the hawks look to be a top3 pick. If no other player steps up in the top 3 then I would say draft rondo he cerainly fills the hawks biggest need.

Quote:

If we go for a PG, I am much, MUCH more concerned with his ability to run an offense and set other players up than I am with his scoring.

True. However right now Kentucky is really struggling to score. You need to be a threat to score yourself to consistently create for others. The Hawks have nobody that can take it to the basket and finish at the rim and I don't think Rondo can do it. He can't seem to get by his man.

"The Hawks have nobody that can take it to the basket and finish at the rim and I don't think Rondo can do it. "

um...perhaps. but that's not what I'm looking for in a pg...not in the least.

Smoove can finish at the rim, Chill to...but they simply can't get there...

Quote:

um...perhaps. but that's not what I'm looking for in a pg...not in the least.

Smoove can finish at the rim, Chill to...but they simply can't get there...

The problem is that if Rondo can't drive and finish (ala Tony Parker...etc) and his shot is suspect then defenses won't have to play him honest. Do you think Nash would have gotten 12 assists per game if he wasn't a major scoring threat?

Chill is actually very good at finishing around the rim when he can get there. Smith can only finish when he can dunk.

Both suck in the half court offense right now. I hope they wise up and start pushing the ball up the court to get them some easier looks.

Are you kidding?

Rondo drove by and around his man all night. He got into the lane and when the bigs stepped in his way he dished to someone for a wide open shot. Unfortunately, Kentucky wasn't hitting those shots much. But Rondo was very impressive at the point. He can score, just didn't tonight. His jumper needs work, but he can get to the rim and get his points.