• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How do some think Salim could be a PG

coachx

I am just curious.

I'm a huge college basketball fan. (Mainly b/c they play team - (real) ball). That is why our NBA studs get whipped by international inferior talent. All our NBA guys know is one on one off the dribble "street ball" where NBA refs let you take 3 steps. International league goes by the book and calls a travel on this crap. ( Plus the wider lane hurts us since we can't shoot anymore).

Anyway, back to the point - Salim never played PG in college. (Unless you consider dribbling the ball up the court to hack up 3 point shot with 26 seconds left on the 30 second shot clock - a true PG.

Anyway, what gives you the inclination Salim can play PG at the NBA level now, in his rookie year ? Shouldn't he stick to what comes natural in his rookie year. Making him play PG would confuse him and take away his best attribute -scoring mentality.

The only way he should start is at sg on offense where JJ plays PG which allows Salim to match up on defense with the opposing PG, Right ?

I think we have all seen that JJ is not a PG so we should nip this bud now.

Salim is a 6th man spark - plug. PERIOD.

You don't set tempo to start a game by a guy dribbling up the court to hack up a 3 point shot. Right ?

I've heard the inferior comparison to Vinny Johnson starting in Detroit. Vinny never started. You guyss don't remember the starting back court of I. Thomas and J. Dumars. 2 hall of famers. Jordan called Dumars the best defender he ever faced (and he averaged 20 per game.) _How could 6'2'' Vinnie start over one of these 2 hall of famers. Some one mentiomed Chuck started Vinnie (6'2'')over M. Aguire at SF. Come on a 6'2'' sf. Quit smokin'.

What am I am missing guys ? You seem to see something I don't.

Am I crazy ? Or are 1/2 of you ?

I don't think Salim is anything near a backup pg now. I seem to be in the minority though.

However I am hopeful that eventually he could develop the skills to play backup pg, which would be a huge plus for the Hawks and make it easier for them to give him minutes.

Coach, many people are drunk on the BK koolaid..BK said Salim could play the 1 or 2, so they believe it..BK said JJ could handle the point, and they believe it..BK says Chilz is a 2, and they believe it..If BK says it, it must be true..After all, BK built that powerful Memphis team, thats what they will tell you..Never mind BK's 80-250 record as GM, he obviously is a basketball savant..His long tweener teams will someday rule the NBA..You will see.

• Admin

we simply dont know. He's a basketball player and is shaping up to be a pretty good one. He has all the requisite skills to be a PG. If he's a good enough basketball player, he can become whatever he needs to become. Very few players are all they can be in their first one, two or three seasons...VERY FEW.

Your college and international ball speech was good for a laugh btw. (real)ball..haha, give me a break.

We did te same thing with JT when he was here. He is still learning the PG position but he can hold his own now in the league, but like Salim they have a scoring mentality first. Everyone is so big on who starts for the team, I for one cares more who finish the game and who provides the lift we need during the game. Salim will be more effective for us coming off the bench....

Why not ask Salim?

In his own words, he said he was a PG playing the SG in college. So he thinks he can play the point.

Is there anyone on the team that drives, and dishes to the right man, better than Salim?

JJ has absolutely no vision on the court. We have guys running the baseline all day long, and no one is finding them.

JT thought he could play the point as well.

From the limited times that I've seen Salim, my take on him has been this.

He can create his own shot to a degree but would excell more with some screens (perhaps great on the pick and role).

His ball handling is somewhat susepct, as his decisions with the ball. I've seen him make several 'JT drives'...where he would dribble into a semi-congested lane, with little chance to actually put up a shotfinish...but not have looked to whom he might be passing out to prior tothe drive...thus leading to a TO...

He needs a lot of work if he's going to be a pg...and honestly, at this point, that just doesn't seem to be his game...