• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Can BK bring Morris to the Hawks???

flava

yeahhh, i saw something tonight scroll across the screen that morris is officially a FA, no more NCAA eligibility or something like that...

hell yeah let's bring em' in!!!

i really dont remember -- what's holding him back from the Hawks, if anything?

HOWEVER, the NBA stipulates a player can enter the draft only once. if he is not drafted he becomes a Free Agent. even if he sat out one year, and came out after playing two more seasons under the current setup he would be a free agent.

that keeps players from doing like baseball draftees do and hold leverage against teams using college. the new age rule eliminates a little of that.

that being said however it seems to me that being a free agent after returning to Kentucky would put Morris at an advantage over other players when he does enter the nba again. hmmm??!?!!?

Quote:

basically, ANY team can sign rmorris at ANY time since he went undrafted

he can sit out this year and then play next year in college and at any point he can sign with a team

i think we should sign him and put him on our development team with donta

If you were a player in Morris' situation what would you do?

A. Sit out a year, practice with the team and try to improve your game and then play one year of college ball to improve your NBA stock before re-entering the draft.

or...

B. Sign on with an NBA club at a relatively modest salary while trying to develop your game in the Developmental league and hope to earn a decent paycheck with a gauranteed contract.

Either way Morris could be looking at spending at least two years working his way to a contract with the NBA. I'd have to think long and hatrd about what would be best. I suppose it would depend on how much I enjoyed college and whether or not my game could improve faster in College or the D leagues.

well, he has to figure that if he sits out a year, that's a year he doesn't get to play games to improve...even if he does practice and work out...that's hard work to commit to AND not get paid for it

OR, he can get a few hundred thousand a year to play in the D-League where he will get game time and develop and, since he's a big man, he'll always be able to find a 1mil+/year deal at some point in the next few years in the nba...and if he works hard to meet a good chunk of his potential, he could end up making several mil/year

btw, he CANNOT, i repeat, CANNOT re-enter the draft

as i said i my quote, he can be signed at ANY time by ANY team as he is an UFA now

he CANNOT enter the draft again

if i were him i'd enter the DLeague for the Hawks, but i don't know all the specifics of his personal situation

Quote:

btw, he CANNOT, i repeat, CANNOT re-enter the draft

as i said i my quote, he can be signed at ANY time by ANY team as he is an UFA now

he CANNOT enter the draft again

if i were him i'd enter the DLeague for the Hawks, but i don't know all the specifics of his personal situation

You're absolutely right, he can not enter the draft - different situation from declaring and then removing your name before the deadline.

I'd have to agree, I would think that I'd go pro - but after reading an article on ESPN he seemed excited that even though the ruling went against him he would still be able to play college ball in a year.

Quote:

i'm a pretty dumb guy, you'd really have to sit down with me and explain why he would sit out a year vs sign with an NBA team right now at great length to get me to understand it.

Believe it or not, some people enjoy the game & college experience/atmosphere. Take football as an example, Matt Leinart (QB USC) could of entered the draft last year and would have been the first pick taken. He decided to go back because he loved playing college football. He's no longer the # 1 pick and might not even be the top QB drafted.

In Morris situation (purely speculation) maybe he decided to enter the drft just to see what would happen. He didn't hire an agent and must have been thinking really hard about returning to school. Hell maybe he was pressured by family or friends to enter the draft. Either way I could see why a guy might return to college.

• Moderators

First, if any NBA team had wanted to sign him he would probably be on an NBA roster right now. To think otherwise assumes he was OK being a second round draft pick but not OK from choosing his team among the FA offers he received.

Second, Morris is suspended for at most this entire season. UK is appealing that and it may be reduced (for example, a Kansas booster paid a player $5000 and he only got a 9 game suspension).

Third, Morris can sign onto a true NBA roster right now. To sign on and goto the developmental league he would need to wait until early January since he has not been signed and waived (if he had been waived he could be assigned immediately to the NBDL).

Hawks options:

(1) Let him sit at UK and play next season and hope no one else signs him.

(2) Sign him onto their regular NBA roster.

(3) Wait until January 5, 2006 and sign him for the NBDL.

Quote:

Quote:

i'm a pretty dumb guy, you'd really have to sit down with me and explain why he would sit out a year vs sign with an NBA team right now at great length to get me to understand it.

Believe it or not, some people enjoy the game & college experience/atmosphere. Take football as an example, Matt Leinart (QB USC) could of entered the draft last year and would have been the first pick taken. He decided to go back because he loved playing college football. He's no longer the # 1 pick and might not even be the top QB drafted.

In Morris situation (purely speculation) maybe he decided to enter the drft just to see what would happen. He didn't hire an agent and must have been thinking really hard about returning to school. Hell maybe he was pressured by family or friends to enter the draft. Either way I could see why a guy might return to college.

Translation: he loves getting laid by hot chicks nightly and partying while being a popular guy on a great campus.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Translation: he loves getting laid by hot chicks nightly and partying while being a popular guy on a great campus.

Exactly.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Exactly.

you ever been to Lexington, KY?

you ever been to Atlanta, GA?

if the answer is yes to both of the above then your argument holds no water in the case of Morris.