Man I love JJ, but he HAS to work on FT shooting

Admin

to be our best player and our go to guy in the 4th he is going to have to learn how to shoot FTs better. If the Sixers had a timeout left tonight he could have cost us the game with that big miss.

Great win though guys. We looked clueless to start the 3rd but really turned it on towards the end of the quarter and then in the 4th. The refs were allowing AI to drive right through players and giving him foul calls all night which made me sick to watch, but we didnt let it get us down and pulled it out. Great game for ZaZa as well, probably the best game of his career all things considered. For less than 1/2 of what Dalembert is getting paid he is sure proving to be a great signing.

I dont have any stats to back this up, but he seems to consistently miss big FTs in the 4th quarter. He does hit some big ones, but I get very nervous with him at the line in a close game. I dont remember which games specifically and how many times that its happened, but I know there have been numerous occassions this year when he has missed 1/2 from the line in a close game and thats not acceptable from a guy who has big time star potential. You think Iverson would have missed that FT with 2 seconds left like JJ did?

• Premium Member

Quote:

I dont have any stats to back this up, but he seems to consistently miss big FTs in the 4th quarter.

JJ's "Clutch Stats"

Quote:

CLUTCH STATISTICS

(4th quarter or overtime, less than 5 minutes left,

neither team ahead by more than 5 points)

Until tonight, he was 6/10 from the free throw line in "clutch" situations.

JJ played a heck of a game tonight so that should be our biggest concern. I will say in his defense that when he was getting ready to shoot the free throw, the scoreboard had Philly up 109-108, so the crowd was booing their heads off. As JJ gets ready to shoot, our PA announcer starts saying what the score is as Joe is shooting. I don't know about you guys, but I would find the combination of the fans booing, and our PA announcer correcting the score incredibly distracting.

its called talking about something that he needs to improve on in order for him to reach the next level. Obviously some of you guys have rose colored glasses on so you cant objectively look at the players games and see that there are weaknesses in each of their games that needs to be worked on before we become a good team.

AGAIN, I am NOT DOWN on JJ. I LOVE his game. I think he is a tremendous player and was a HUGE supporter of us getting him (not that some of you would know that since you have only been trolling here for a month though). The point is that he has missed some big FTs this year and while he may not have cost us any games because of it yet, he has been an average FT shooter his whole career and must improve on that to truly elevate his game. If he ever gets his FT% up into the mid 80s he will be a player that cannot be fouled with the game in the balance. Right now the opposing team can almost expect him to miss 1/2 in close games.

I disagree Dolfan, I can see him getting up to 80%, but 85 is not easy. Did you know there are only 10 guys in the league shooting over 85% that has at least 100 attempts right now? Not an easy feat, but don't think Joe is taking it lightly, his game is rounding into shape. When his 3-point shooting was off, he worked on it. So I'm sure he'll keep working at the charity stripe as well.

so I dont expect him to become a top notch FT shooter. This is a minor thing right now, but for someone who is such a good shooter its mind boggling that he cant get to even 80% from the line.

Regarding the 10 guys in the league (and I wont bother to look this up) but lets say that those 10 guys are on seperate teams. That means that 10 teams have a guy that they can pass the ball to with under 2 minutes left knowing he will be fouled and can count on him to close the game out. With JJ being our best player and best shooter he would typically be that guy, but he cant be depended on to routinely knock them both down.

Anyways, I think I have stated my opinion on this. Some will agree, some will disagree.