• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Falcons Top 3 Offseason Needs

AHF

• Moderators

I'm interested in what the top 3 priorities should be for the Falcons in the offseason in terms of personnel (not "fire Greg Knapp" or something dealing with the staff but if people want to take the thread in that direction feel free to do so).

Anyway, here is what I posted before our embarassment last weekend to end the year:

Quote:

PRIORITY #1 - Run stuffing defensive tackle. This is so critical to this team that it cannot be underrated.

PRIORITY #2 - Improve the pass blocking. Vick will look a lot better if given even 1 more second in the pocket before the pressure comes.

PRIORITY #3 - Defensive backfield.

We also need a big time playmaker at reciever. Jenkins and White are second and third options and with the number of passes they dropped this year receiver should be up there . Since we lost so many games this year by not being able to stop the run I have to agree a Big run stopper is #1 need.

For me priority #1 = BIG and athletic offensive linemen best available as a first round pick, the first offensive lineman picked by the Falcons in the first round since Bob Whitfield.

priority #2 = hard hitting safety and veteran secondary help that is legit from FAcy if possible (Sharper maybe?) to bring the rook along behind him..

priority #3 = try to stay healthy! because the Falcons have some nice prospects on the defensive line, but injuries exposed lack of depth and made green players play out of position e.g. Chauncey Davis at DE instead of DT, etc...Still need to add depth there.

• Admin

I disagree, White looked fine in the later games and he and vick were developing some chemistry. That is more important than any big name guy you put on the field. If vick isn't comfortable with him, he won't throw to him. White showed enough that he deserves a chance to be the #1 wr.

Hall, a very good CB, is the only legit NFL player in the unit. The Falcons must address this unit in both the draft and free agency. I would not be surprised to see either their 1st round pick or 2nd round pick used on a safety. I agree with you that a run stuffing tackle would help greatly and free up Rod Coleman to cause more havoc. Sadly, the Falcons will need to be Alex Gibbs free before they ever upgrade their Oline. Gibb's philosophy of using only marginally talented, smallish Olinemen is strange indeed.

• Moderators

Quality safeties are much easier to get than standout defensive linemen which would make it a surprise to me if we go with a defensive back other than a standout corner in the first round. Remember, we lost three of our DBs for the year this season. We'll have more depth with them back and could easily sign a safety in free agency to upgrade the defensive backfield. We will never be able to afford a quality DT in free agency with our cap room, though.