• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Can this be a new Hendu?

Diesel

• Premium Member

I believe I brought this up before but with G Rob here to remind Hendu of how good he used to be, could this be a Brand New Hungry Hendu? I mean, Jason Terry has been singing the praises of Hendu's offseason. Is Grob what we needed to get Hendu in gear?

Hendu looked good in his first competition last night.

OR

Is it just Hendu taking advantage of the rookies and once the season is underway, he will be back to same old Al?

I hope it is a new Hendu. I truely believe that Hendu is better than Nazr. If he is inspired, like he can be and has ben in the past, he could come in and average double figures from the bench for the 4/5.

He has been hurt and sulking for 3 years and maybe now is the time for him to raise his head and get back to his good play. Maybe loosing messes with his mind more than others.

Some of it is Big Al abusing rookies like he

did Tyson Chandler last year but I think even

he was probably alittle fired up.

I think most of the reason Hendu sulks is because

not only is he on the bench,but he's been on the

bench for a bad team.

he was ready to go and that was even before Big Dog got here. He's healthier than he's been in years. No reason why he can't be a productive guy off the bench at PF and even at Center in certain matchups. I know I liked what I saw last night, even if it was against probably the weakest front court I've seen in years.

• Premium Member

We have to manhandle teams like Orlando (weak frontcourts) if we plan on being a championship team. Reason being is that even with greatness on the wings, Shooters get discouraged when they see us manhandling them in the middle for easy buckets and realizing that they can't get any easy buckets in our middle. It's a secret to success in basketball.

that was a great statement. Basketball is so much about momentum and confidence and nothing will kill a shooter more than knowing he has to shoot. When a shooter believes that dumping a pass in low will result in a turnover or a missed shot he will try to do too much to make something happen and rush or take bad shots.

The truth is substantial here.

Robinson/Ham/Newble/SAR/Hendu/Ratliff/Nazr is a hell of a lot more intimidating than

Kukoc/Newble/Bowdler/Strickland/Hanno/Nazr/SAR. a hell of a lot.

Everyone keeps talking about Robinson not being a good defender but the trade off here is Robinson for Kukoc...Ham for Strickland....Hendu for Bowdler...Ratliff for Hanno....That is a heckuva defensive front line improvement when you take all 4 players into account....Funny part is that all 4 are an offensive improvement. We are much stronger down low now...much stronger. Not only is the front line of Ratliff/SAR/Robinson top 3 in the league but the Subs of Nazr/Hendu/CC might be the best backup frontline out there too. These groups are gonna make JT and DD look aweful good.

beat them that soundly during the regular season, I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment. McGrady was definitely not going all out and Hill is going to take it easy until the games matter. We are definitely light years better than they are up front but I still think they will be a good team before its all said and done.

On another note, if you realize that us manhandling them in the middle and getting easy buckets while they can't do the same to us is a secret to success in basketball, why have you been trying to trade Theo for a ham sandwich since he got here? Theo only played 14 minutes but there is a HUGE difference in our interior D when he is in the game versus when Nazr is in the game. He also finishes strong around the basket while Nazr simply cannot. The bottom line is that if you believe the secret to our success is our ability to score inside while preventing others from scoring inside, you need to become Theo's number 1 fan because he will have more impact than Nazr will on both ends of the floor. Nazr has the potential to be a great backup, Theo has the potential to be a great starter.

While Trace and I were discussing Nazr with the other Hawks faithful at the game, we agreed on these things.

1. We are glad we didn't trade Nazr.

Heck, I was the guy whom initially didn't even want to resign him, but relented when Theo wasn't near healthy. But, even getting Mike Miller in return wouldn't be enough to trade Nazr, especially after seeing Theo double over last night.

Glad to have him.

2. The man can't finish.

He is OK on the break when there is nobody trying to pry the ball from his hands, but man, his problem is getting the ball from his midsection over his head.

He has weak, weak hands and allows anyone to strip it from him.

3. He loves the fadeaway way too much.

There is no way a man of his size should play so soft.

He is a charter member in the BHD "Sissyballers" Club...

Nazr cost Dickau at least 2 assists because he just can't get the ball up in traffic. I think JT is stronger going to the hoop in traffic! As for that fadeaway, I wish he would abandon it but if he's going to shoot it, he's needs to get better at it. That being said, man I'm glad we have him! Even when he gets healthy, I don't see Theo playing more than 30 mpg. That leaves about 18 min for Nazr and Hendu to split at the 5 spot. They both should also get a few mpg at the 4 spot behind Reef but I look for Reef to play AT LEAST 36 mpg and probably more. The bottom line is that we need Nazr and I think he will be great in his 18 mpg or so. He is also excellent insurance for Theo who we all know is not the most durable guy in the world (understatement of the year).

• Premium Member

Actually, I've haven't suggested a trade for Theo since we got Big Dog. Or have you noticed. Remember most of the trades that I suggested for Theo were to fix the hole that we had at SF. No way we do anything with just JT and SAR and a hole at SF. That was my theme. Also, Theo has questionable heart. If he doesn't have it in him to be on the court giving 100%, I would rather get somebody else that can help our cause.

Now, in your mind, go back over some of my more prominent Theo trades:

Theo for Big Dog/Pryz. Again... A trade that would have completed us.

Theo for Battier/Lo. I felt that having Battier would have completed us at the Sf.

Theo for Griff/Cato. Once again a theo trade that would have brought us a C and a SF type.

Theo for Erob, Chandler. Again. Theo for Potential that could turn us into a monster.

But after getting Big Dog for Toni... What did I say.

I said, NOW we are complete. I still don't trust Theo, but We have a third scorer to take the pressure off of SAR.

Theo will likely miss some time with injuries over the course of the season but I do think he will give 100% of what he has. I hope he is cautious and doesn't hurt himself further by trying to prove his toughness. I'd rather see him play fewer minutes as long as gives 100% when he's in the game. I don't expect him to play 36+ mpg like Reef, JT and Big Dog will. 30 strong minutes from Theo will be more than enough.

As for your trade proposals, I STILL think a healthy Theo will have just as much impact on whether this team wins or loses as adding Big Dog will. If DJ had not been hurt, I would have still wanted to go get another scorer but not as much as I would have wanted Theo to be healthy. The great thing is, we got both! I like our chances now but if DJ were healthy, I'd REALLY like our chances to win the EC.

that much. He played 36 mpg in 50 games for Philly the year he was traded to us and look what happpened. He'd never played that many minutes before in his career. I'd rather get him for 30 mpg and keep him healthy than risk playing him 36 mpg risk him not being healthy. I think Nazr will be fine for 18 mpg. At Nazr's salary, he definitely needs to get some PT too!

What if ---- Theo only played the 4th quarter?

Games are usually won or lost in the 4th quarter.

If he can't play a lot of minutes, save him for the final minutes. I'd rather do that than wear him down early

in the game and then do without in the end.

Imagine, game is close at the end of the 3rd. A fresh,

ready to play Theo hits the floor for the rest of the game.

Even if you go to overtime, he is still ready.

Just a wild thought from the old man.

Gray Mule

What if ---- Theo only played the 4th quarter?

Games are usually won or lost in the 4th quarter."

Correct.We need all the gamers in there in the

4th were the average game is won or lost.

How about the second and the fourth or soemthing along those lines. I mean, would you want him trying to "find his rhythm and timing" in the earlier parts of the fourth quarter? He'd need to be in there earlier, just to get a feel for things.