• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Future of TV?

Diesel

• Premium Member

I think the DVR is probably the best invention since the computer itself. I can see how it will change TV.

For instance, I think what will happen.. is a pay per view. However, instead of having network TV, it will be possible to just pay for shows... Either by the season or by the show.

So one day, you will not be bogged down by TV schedules or by worhtless TV shows.. But the technology is already here where you can buy the shows you want to see... SO instead of a cable company where you spend $60.00 and get a whole helluva lot of television shows that you don't watch. You can purchase by the show..

Imagine a whole season of CSI for $9.95. Or one episode for $.99.

The question remains.. If TV is done this way in the future, will there still be need for Commercials? Maybe you can pay a higher price to have commercial free television!!! NOW that is what I call good sense!!

you can already pay more for commercial free TV. it's called HBO

Anyhow, you're right in terms of paying for individual content

I think the way it will come is that you no longer have cable "packages". You pick exactly what channels you want, and each channel has a particular price. I think that's the next step.

They could go to show by show but I doubt it.

• Admin

and in the works in others. With comcast on demand you can watch a boatload of movies and shows at any time. If you don't happen to subscribe to the channel that has it, you can pay once and get the one you want to watch.

It's just a matter of time before networks start allowing the same thing with their shows. Only they won't be able to charge you for it. Since it was free in the first place. They will just leave the commercials in there.

it was reported a few weeks ago when the government said that it was legal for cable companies to offer programming ala cart. Instead of being limited to whatever packages are presented to you. You can roll your own package iwth the channels you watch. Instead of paying $40 per month for 200 channels, of which you only watch 10. You can just get the 10 you watch and add others as you see fit. That will be a huge change and improvement IMO.

The next big step will be network based DVR service OR media extenders in your home that will allow you to distribute recorded programs to any home in your TV.

WIth the network based DVR service, your shows are recorded to your cable provider and don't actually reside in your house. That way you can watch them from any TV in your house or through the net via their website. This way the cable company can offer various levels of storage capacity and make more money off those who want to be able to record a ton of shows.

The media extenders basically allow you to have only one DVR in your house and be able to stream the content to other TV's without having to get a DVR at every location. As I understand it, Comcast is already working on this and it will probably be availble sometime this year.

• Premium Member

I was listening to a guy on the radio.. Not Leo Leporte but a guy in that same arena. He was talking about the capabilities of the new Ipod. He was saying that you will be able to access your DVR from your ipod. If that happens, the next step is being in a hotel, accessing my DVR from the Hotel's TV. Or being over my mother in Law's house, watching my taped shows from here DVR...

DVR to DVR communication?

Then again, if you think Stealing Cable is bad...

• Moderators

I will be interested to see ideas on the two key issues that come to my mind with the purchase of discrete programs:

(1) advertising - you know this is where most of TV's money comes from;

and

(2) introduction of new programs.