• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Thursday Insider

Spree back, but for how long?

by Chad Ford

Send an Email to Chad Ford

Also Below: Nailon, Alston get the shaft | Wizards set to deal Whitney | Yao-uch! Ming's debut painful | Peep Show

NBA Insider Chad Ford will be chatting live on ESPN.com today at 12 p.m. ET. Click here to submit your questions.

Latrell Sprewell, the Knicks' prodigal son, finally returned home Wednesday. There wasn't, however, the requisite feast and celebration. Just a bunch of badly bruised egos.

Spree is back, but for how long?

Two NBA general managers told Insider on Wednesday that the Knicks and Blazers have discussed a trade that would send Derek Anderson and Ruben Patterson to the Knicks in return for Sprewell. Another source told Insider that, with Lee Nailon available, the Knicks are now trying to get Dale Davis and Anderson.

Spree to the Jail Blazers? Wouldn't that be a match made in heaven (or is that [censored]?).

While one Knicks source denied that any "serious" talks were taking place, he did indicate that things could be heating up.

Spree returned to Knicks camp Wednesday after an hour meeting with GM Scott Layden.

"We're not going to say too much about the meeting," Layden told the New York Daily News. "They're private. I think the important thing is we're at a point where the chapter is over."

Coach Don Chaney and Knicks players seemed genuinely enthused to have Spree back.

While Spree said he would not hold a grudge, he's still trying to figure out what he did to warrant the massive fines and suspension he received over the past month.

"I don't think it really accomplished anything," Sprewell said of his punishment. "Nothing. It was just chaos."

He then compared himself to Dennis Rodman of all people.

"Honestly, that's something I mentioned," he said. "I used the scenario of Dennis Rodman. This guy did some of everything. The bottom line is Phil Jackson and those guys wanted him to come out and get those 15-20 rebounds. I'm not half as bad as this guy was. ... He did his job and management understood what kind of person he was and they let him have that certain amount of freedom. That's what we discussed."

Spree said he expects trade talks to continue.

"As far as the trade thing, there will always be other general managers wondering about if I'm available," he told the Times. "I would suspect that trade talk will still linger around. That's something that never bothered me, because my job is to play and help whatever team I'm with win. I happen to be a Knick, so my job is to help the Knicks win."

Spree back, all's not well

Frank Isola / New York Daily News

Knicks Extend Olive Branch, and Sprewell Rejoins Team

Steve Popper / New York Times

Spree's A Goner

Jay Greenberg / New York Post

Nailon, Alston get the shaft

Cut down day officially got underway Wednesday and there were a few major surprises among the NBA wounded.

Most shocking, the Hornets decided to cut forward Lee Nailon. Nailon started 42 games for the Hornets last season, averaging 10.8 ppg on 48 percent shooting. Nailon signed a one-year, partially guaranteed contract for slightly better than the team's qualifying offer of just more than $789,000.

However, a logjam at small forward left Nailon fighting Jamal Mashburn, George Lynch and Stacey Augmon for minutes. He was losing the battle, which ultimately led to a confrontation between coach Paul Silas and Nailon during a timeout in Tuesday night's game against the Hawks.

"Some players are able to sit the whole game and get no minutes, and, once you call on them the next game or two down the road, they are still ready to play," Bob Bass, the Hornets' executive vice president of basketball operations, told the Times Picayune. "Others players have to play every night or they will lose their sharpness and lose their enthusiasm for whatever the case might be. It all played a part in our decision to make this decision right now."

Other cuts included the Cavs' Anthony Johnson, Kings second-round pick Corsley Edwards, Magic center Obinna Ekezie, 76ers forward Damone Brown, Suns guard Anthony Goldwire and Sonics forward Kei Madison.

Nailon's agent, Larry Fox, said the decision to let Nailon go now was mutual.

"Everybody had been growing intense on how the minutes were being distributed at the position," Fox said. "There was tremendous pressure on George Lynch and Lee and Kirk [Haston], and it was a burden on Coach [Paul] Silas to try and distribute the minutes evenly. So we mutually agreed this was in the best interest for Lee and the team."

There's a good chance that several teams will try to pick Nailon up off waivers. Because Nailon signed for more than the minimum salary, only teams with cap room or with a trade or disabled player exception are eligible to claim him.

If more than one team attempts to claim Nailon, the team with the worst record last season would get his rights. Denver, New York, Orlando, Portland, Toronto and Washington are the only teams that fit those qualifications. The Nuggets have the worst record of the six teams, and could use the help at the position. The Knicks are next. With Spree's situation still up in the air (see below) Nailon is a prime candidate to fill the gap. The N.Y. Post reported today that Knicks GM Scott Layden is interested in Nailon and could claim him as early as today. The Wizards and Raptors also need help at the swing position.

If no one picks Nailon up in the next 48 hours, he becomes an unrestricted free agent and could join any team that wants him.

The other major surprise cut came in Golden State. The Warriors waived popular point guard Rafer Alston just a week after telling him that he had made the team. Alston was the Warriors' only true point guard. Bob Sura and Gilbert Arenas are both two guards trying to make the conversion to the point.

What happened? One league source told Insider that the move was primarily a financial one. Alston's contract became guaranteed if he was on the roster opening night. Sources say Alston was told last week he had made the team by coach Eric Musselman, but GM Garry St. Jean opted instead to save a few thousand dollars (Alston was making the veteran minimum) and keep second-year point guard Dean Oliver instead. Oliver played only a total of 29 minutes in the preseason. But because he has played for fewer years than Alston, his minimum salary is around $100,000 less. One Warriors source also told Insider that the team had restarted negotiations with second-round pick Steve Logan. Logan's agent told the San Francisco Chronicle that he expected Logan's holdout to be resolved in some fashion "in the next 48 hours." If the Warriors sign Logan, Oliver would likely be dropped as well.

According to one Warriors player who wished not to be identified, the move upset several players on the team. "He was our only real point guard," the player said. "He had a great camp and deserved to be on the team. Things have changed since coach [Musselman] got here. But there's some things that even he can't control."

The move may backfire on the bumbling Warriors front office. Alston, a New York street ball legend, has an almost cult following among fans thanks to the AND-1 Mix Tapes, and is one of the few players on the Warriors who can put fans in the stands.

Like Nailon, Alston will be on waivers for the next 48 hours. However, because Alston makes the minimum salary, any team can claim him off waivers. Several teams, including the Timberwolves, Nets, Knicks, Magic, Cavs and Nuggets, are still looking for help at the point.

Teams must make their final cuts by today at 6 p.m. Eastern. Each team is allowed to have 12 active players and up to three players on the injured list. Teams have until Monday at 6 p.m. Eastern to decide who will be on the injured list.

Hornets to play without Nailon

John Reid / New Orleans Times Picayune

Scott Eyes Ex-Hornet Nailon

Marc Berman / New York Post

Warriors waive Alston

Brad Weinstein / San Francisco Chronicle

Cavs cut Johnson; Parker's 3 tops L.A.

staff / Cleveland Plain Dealer

Wizards set to deal Whitney

The Wizards are on the verge of dealing point guard Chris Whitney, multiple news organizations reported Wednesday.

The Washington Post, Denver Post and Rocky Mountain News all reported that the Wizard were close to sending Whitney to the Nuggets in exchange for swingman George McCloud. The Nuggets have held McCloud out of the last two preseason games in anticipation of a trade.

The Post and Rocky Mountain News are also reporting that the Wizards are also talking to the Magic about a Whitney-for-Andrew DeClercq swap.

Whitney's agent, Steve Kauffman, said Denver and Orlando weren't the only teams in the mix for Whitney.

"The Wizards have agreed to trade Chris," Kauffman told the Rocky Mountain News. "They've been talking to the Nuggets, but they've also been talking to the Magic and to the Timberwolves. I'm fairly sure Chris will be traded, but I can't say for sure where."

Whitney, McCloud and DeClercq are all in the last years of their contracts. The Wizards have four point guards on their roster, making Whitney expendable. The Nuggets and the Magic are both thin at the point. Currently, the Nuggets have only second-year guard Kenny Satterfield, rookie Junior Harrington and journeyman Darrick Martin running the team.

The Magic's interest is a little more surprising. DeClercq is one of the few big men the Magic have. Orlando does have Jacque Vaughn and Darrell Armstrong at the point. However, Armstrong just suffered a strained right shoulder on Tuesday. However, Armstrong is only expected to miss the next 7 to 10 days.

Nuggets on cusp of deal

Chris Tomasson / Rocky Mountain News

McCloud could go in deal for Whitney

Marc J. Spears / Denver Post

Only a strain for Armstrong

Jerry Brewer / Orlando Sentinel

Yao-uch! Ming's debut painful

Yao Ming made his professional baskeball debut Wednesday. He spent most of the time mopping himself off the floor.

"When you watch on TV it seems easy. When you're out there playing, it is really difficult," Yao told the Houston Chronicle. "The NBA is not something everybody can do. I felt like a rookie."

Tim Duncan and David Robinson gave Yao a rude welcome, knocking him to the floor three times. Said Yao, "They left a very deep impression on me."

Robinson and Duncan were equally impressed.

"I remember when I came in and first played with my guys. It was a little bit of a whirlwind," Robinson told the Chronicle. "He's got great size and skills. Obviously, he didn't know the plays, and he wasn't part of the offense, but he'll be good. He'll be good, no question about it. Once they teach him the offense and he gets comfortable with what they're trying to do, he'll be effective."

"He's a good player," said Duncan. "He handles the ball well. I didn't see much of him because of the foul trouble. I think David (five points, nine rebounds in 35 minutes) attacked him well. It looks like he [Yao] has a really nice touch. It takes awhile [to get acclimated to the NBA]. It really takes awhile. It's all a learning experience for him right how. He's a rookie, so it's going to take some time."

Yao scores six points, pulls down four rebounds in Rockets debut

Jonathan Feigen / Houston Chronicle

Spurs aren't wowed by Yao's debut

Michael Murphy / Houston Chronicle

A rude welcome

Johnny Ludden / San Antonio Express News

Yao a success? A billion reasons

Buck Harvey / San Antonio Express News

Peep Show

Mavs: Owner Mark Cuban continues to deny rumors that the Mavs are discussing a Nick Van Exel-for-Latrell Sprewell swap. "My dream season," Cuban told the Dallas Morning News, "is to keep the team we have and keep everybody healthy."

T-Wolves: The agent for point guard Rod Strickland told the Minneapolis Star Tribune he has had several "meaningful discussions" with Wolves vice president Kevin McHale over the past few days. Agent Leon Rose said Strickland is looking at several teams and could make a decision within a few days.

Raptors: The team signed free-agent two guard Voshon Lenard to a one-year contract for the veteran's minimum Wednesday. Lenard will replace the shooting of Dell Curry (who left the team via free agency) and Lamond Murray (out eight weeks with an injury). "I just have to come in and help out like I can," Lenard told the Toronto Star. "This seems like a pretty good organization. Right now I'm still learning a few things. It's about me coming in and filling in with some scoring off the bench, whatever they need."

Clippers: Coach Alvin Gentry finally got some good news on the injury front Wednesday. Quentin Richardson played in his first preseason game and Elton Brand and Michael Olowokandi were cleared to begin practicing with the team. Both players should be healthy enough to play on opening night. The Clippers are still missing Lamar Odom (out till December) and rookie Melvin Ely, but things are looking up. "What's been tough is that we didn't have the opportunity for all our guys to play major minutes in preseason," Gentry told the L.A. Times. "All our guys haven't had a chance to play with Andre [Miller, the Clippers' new point guard]. After the second day of camp, we didn't get a lot done. We didn't have the guys available who are going to be playing because of all the injuries."

Sixers: Derrick Coleman returned to the practice court Wednesday. Coleman is not expected to return to game action for several more weeks. But at least the 35-year-old power forward is back with a basketball in his hands. "I'm just trying to get back familiar with the offense," Coleman told the Philadelphia Inquirer . "I just think the main thing for us right now... is just develop some kind of chemistry. I missed all of training camp, and I'm just really going to have to jump right into the season. It'll take us a little while to get the kinks out, but [by] February, March, it should be right."

Pacers: Jamaal Tinsley went down Wednesday with a sprained left ankle. He was taken to the locker room for X-rays and did not return to the game. The X-rays were negative and the sprain was labeled as moderate by the Pacers' medical staff. Tinsley is not expected to play in Friday's game at Minnesota. "Another one down," coach Isiah Thomas told the Indianapolis Star. "I don't know how serious it is and it depends on how he feels if he'll play anymore in the preseason."

Hawks: Nazr Mohammed will be out at least one week and could miss the season opener Oct. 30 with a bruised bone in his right foot . "He has a tender spot in his foot. There is a little discomfort, but no severe pain," coach Lon Kruger told the the Atlanta Journal Constitution. "I'm not sure [about New Jersey]. We'll just back off for a week and see how it unfolds."

Cavs: Rookie Smush Parker was almost assured a spot on the Cavs' roster when veteran Anthony Johnson was cut Wednesday. "It was a two-folded situation," coach John Lucas told the News Herald. "One, if we're going to be young, Smush makes sense in what we're trying to do. Two, based on our financial situation, [he's the right fit]. It was one of the toughest decisions I've had to make. . . He's played very, very well."

Nets: With Chris Childs suspended indefinitely, who will back up Jason Kidd? "I wanted to get [Kidd] down to 35, 36 minutes [from 38], and that's my goal," coach Byron Scott told the N.Y. Post. "Even with Chris out, my goal is to get him down to 35, 36 minutes a game. We'll get Lucious [Harris] a little bit more time at the point guard position." . . .The Nets have sent their application to the NBA to take the injured Jamie Feick (Achilles) off their roster and salary cap.

Nuggets: Jermaine O'Neal and Juwan Howard were ejected for an altercation that started with Howard and Al Harrington tangled up on floor fighting for rebounding position. Howard threw two punches at Harrington first and then two more at O'Neal, connecting on all but one. "That's Juwan being upset," O'Neal told the Indianapolis Star. "He can't check me, never could check me and never will be able to check me. I don't know what . . . was wrong with him. He went crazy. I got stitches. But I wasn't crying. Don't cry when somebody is scoring buckets on you and letting you know about it. That's alright, though. We'll see him again."

Simulated game goes Mavericks' way

Eddie Sefko / Dallas Morning News

Evans hopes to hang on to Wolves roster spot

Chip Scoggins / Minneapolis Star-Tribune

Hurting Raptors find nugget

Doug Smith / Toronto Star

Gentry Finally Has Some Good News

Elliott Teaford / Los Angeles Times

Recuperating Coleman returns to practice

Ashley McGeachy Fox / Philadelphia Inquirer

Pacers get their dander up in 2nd half

Sekou Smith / Indianapolis Star