• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

KB, do you wish to clarify this?

Guest Walter

Guest Walter

(KB) "No. I do not believe BK will be going the small forward route in this draft. I believe he will be concentrating his efforts on the big guys, and he may look at a point guard or two as well."

If not taking into account position and choosing "BPA" was your own draft strategy and rationale for why BK chose MW, would you not be upset if anyone else suggested this BK about-face?

W

not speaking for KB's about face, who a couple of months ago was still saying that BPA should be the way even if we get another SF this year, but I think that what he is currently saying is true.

I think it was still acceptable to go BPA at a time in the rebuilding when you only had 2 of your core rebuilding pieces (Chill - Smith).

At this point in time we have something like

?

JJ

Marvin/Chill

Smith

?/Zaza

for the future, and I think it makes perfect sense to move on to adressing need, because that is where we are in the rebuilding project.

Like I said, from what we heard from BK and especially Bernie Mullin, we will not be drafting a SF (unless there is a trade directly in the works of course).

We will be looking for a big, and if there really isn't one who makes sense we might go the PG route.

It's not like a GM has to have the same draft strategy going into every draft. Rebuilding is done in phases. First you clean house, then you accumulate talent, then you adress needs. The strategy for last year will not be the same strategy for this year. There is no about face or anything of the sort, it is just moving along in the rebuilding process, no matter how much you hate marvin.

Of course all of this does not explain why KB was still saying BPA regardless of anything else until very recently and has suddenly changed his position

i agree w/lascar

bpa was correct last year, but now we have everything but 2 players: starting pg and defensive rebounding center

so now it's no longer BPA time...it's time to get a defensive passing pg or a defensive rebounding center

and time to trade al for the other piece we didn't draft

Guest Walter

I still believe our team is still short that special, impact player. Mind you, I didn't think that Marvin was the BPA unless the "P" stands for "project" not "player". In otherwords, I agree with you that rebuilding goes through phases, however, I doubt we have passed through the talent procurement stage because we may still lack a superstar and Marvin wasn't a significant if any upgrade over what we had at the forward positions.

Regardless, IMHO you always consider position, only you do so variably and relative to the extent the best PLAYER available is better than your positional needs. In Marvin and the Pg's case there wasn't anything to suggest as PLAYERS not PROJECTS one was going to be head and shoulders above the other, thus you err on the side of positional needs, especially when considering the relative greater difficulty filling the C and Pgs positions.

In short, if a superstar player (Not Marvin...i.e. Bargnani?) is available regardless of position we should take them, if a star player is available (Morrison?) then consider position and dificulty filling a position considerably moreso, if a potential star...consider position moreso...and so on...all the while considering position more the more similarly talented two players are...until you get into the 2nd rd where you are looking just for talent and potential as the positional players likely will not be good enough to make the NBA.

Was that confusing enough?

W

yeah but even if a mistake was made, it doesn't matter. Clearly BK went BPA, and I would think that BK will go for need this year.

Whether or not Marvin does in fact turn out to be the BPA is an entirely different question. It is always hard to project how well players will do in the NBA. Hell 90% of the people here who didn't want Marvin wanted Deron, and yet if we were to redo the draft today, most of us probably pick Paul. Things change. Marvin was a known project, so we will see just how good he is in a year or two.

No matter how you look of it, most of the country saw Bogut-Marvin as the top 2 guys of the draft, and until draft time it was still not 100% sure which one Milwaukee would pick. So if BK blew it, most GMs in the league would have too.

Most of us just got over last year's draft pick within a couple of weeks if not months of it happening and root for Marvin as a hawk.

Guest Walter

was a mistake and (having boxed his self into it by drafting our 3rd project forward in 2 years) going positional needs foremost is a potential mistake this year. We STILL don't have our superstar and this draft may provide it even if it's at Sf.

W

• Premium Member

I think a compromise to the situation is:

Jokiam Noah.

I still believe Noah needs some time, but Noah has shown that he is good and is getting better. He's a big. He's got skill.

Or maybe you're right.

We should draft Morrison in the first round and Batista in the 2nd...

That would be a hoot.

The problem as both you and I know is that Morrison doesn't exactly fit BK's profile... He's not Long and Athletic or versatile for that matter...

But how can you pass over a kid scoring 28 ppg in college. A guy who put up 34 against Memphis...

• Premium Member

I agree with the thoughts on Noah. While he is a project (similar to Marvin), he seems to have the "Potential" to be a Brad Miller like Center on the NBA level. If he does pan out then we would be in much better shape.

??/Lue/Ivey

JJ/Salim

Marvin/Chill/Donta

JS/??/Batista

Noah/Zaza/??