Big Dog.... Atlanta's first option?

Diesel

• Premium Member

I thought that Big Dog would be the first option... But I couldn't imagine him starting off with back to back games of 30 points or better. It's great.

It would be really good if we could end up with this stat line for our starters by Feb:

Big Dog: 25/8/5

SAR: 21/10/4

JT: 16/3/9

Theo 10/10/2

Ira 8/4/3

I think that's reasonable...

that's 80/34/23 from our starters.

I believe that our reserves can get us the other 22/12/7

Jt done a better job tonight.He just needs

to realize the right times to shoot.He got

closer tonight.He should be doing it right

before midseason.It's his ball in the 4th and

I think he sees that.

Like I have been saying before,Shareef/Big Dog

get the shots in 1-3 periods and JT takes over

in the 4th.Just what I was hoping and what I

expect to happen.

Hmmm good point, but I actually think that Big Dog & Reef are equal in the team in that field. I think JT can avg more pts than that thought somewhere in between 17-18, rigth now he is avg 21/9, which puts him as one of the leagues top PG's. I think he is running the team good right now, even sometimes he looked sluggish last night, but he put the ball exactly where the players wanted, scoring position. I alaso think he did quite well vs J. Kidd, the leagues best point. Tell you something is very nice seeing Theo back and he looked [censored] good last night, he has that little jumper that he is pretty accurate with it. 1 more thing, Big Dog is a stud, freaking guy is money, unbelievable.

• Premium Member

Actually,

JT's numbers will go down.

We have to remember that SAR didn't play game 1 and was used Sparingly in game 2. However, I believe that once SAR is back to 95-100%, that his scoring will increase and JT's will decrease.

As far as Hotlantadude's plan of Grob/SAR scoring in qtrs 1-3 and JT in 4... I don't think it works like that.

Mainly, JT has to get established early. He has to put up some points in the first. Grob can score consistently all game long. SAR too but Around the end of the third, we should know who has the "hot hand". Good teams know how to work it to the guy with the "Hot Hand" in the 4th. That might not be JT. If Grob is going off and has 26 points by the end of the 3rd, we should stop feeding him in the 4th. However, I do believe that if the game is close at the end, JT should be our goto guy. He's more consistent in the clutch...

While Grob has played very well so far, I too want JT to be the primary option in the last 5 minutes of the game. Neither Grob or SAR are considered clutch players, while JT has proven to be very clutch. On a side note, I am alittle concerned about JT's minutes. I know we are shorthanded but JT is playing heavy minutes. DD has not shown enough to warrant being the primary b/u. That leaves Email who is having to play b/u 2 because of Dion's injury. Email must get the majority of minutes as the b/u 1 so we may need to pick up a b/u 2 if Dion does not mend soon (Dion is way too injury prone to be reliable). Hopefully a b/u 2 with a good handle.

• Premium Member

I think Dion will play against Chi town. Probably have a good game too. You're right though... He's injured a lot. I would trade him for Heywood in a hot second.

Be honest... IF Memphis offered Battier/Lo/Big Russkie for Theo/DG/CC/1st... You'd do it.

I would.

I do think JT's numbers will probably go down a little from 21 ppg and 9 apg once Reef is 100% but I won't be surprised if they don't.

I disagree about JT necessarily needing to get established early form a scoring standpoint. Actually, I LIKE the fact that he is looking to get Dog and Reef going early and then looks to score himself later. That combination could be lethal for opposing teams. Think about it. Who is our best clutch player? No doubt its JT right? Well, if Big Dog and Reef get going early, it will force teams to make adjustments to stop them. That means JT is going to have an easier time taking over in the 4th when the game is on the line. It worked to perfection last night because when the Jazz started trying to contain Big Dog, JT was able to get isolated on Stockton one on one and he was able to convert. If you remember, JT did this a LOT toward the end of last season. I remember several games where he only had 2 to 4 pts at half time only to finish with 20+ while putting up nice assist numbers. Of course if the offense is struggling, JT will have to recognize that and look to get himself going earlier. Last night however, Big Dog was on fire and I thought JT did a great job of feeding him and fanning him.

So far, we are averaging 99.5 ppg despite the fact that our turnover numbers are WAY to high and despite the fact that Reef and Theo are not 100%. In addition, our best scorer off the bench (Glover) has yet to suit up. Teams will learn to defend us better as the season goes along but we have a LOT of weapons in that starting lineup. Averaging 100 ppg for this team is not out of the question. I think offense is the least of our concerns right now. For us to take it the next level, the defense has got to improve. We still give up too many wide open perimeter J's and the defensive effort is inconsistent.

That's a good question Diesel...but who's "Big Russkie". A little clarity here.

For clarification the real meat of the deal is Battier/Lo for Ratliff..the other players are filler/salary dump.

Battier/Lo for Ratliff....That's a fine Question. I guess the real question is, is Battier/Ira a big enough upgrade from Ira/Dion to dump Theo. You see, Lo is hurt alot too so you're not getting a "more reliable" player in Lo over Theo. More offensive/less defensive minded. With the added weight I actually think Lo can play the bigger centers better.

God, I don't know. When Healthy, Theo is a game changer. He changed the whole offensive mindset of Utah last night. Conversely, when he left the game in Jersey it cut the legs right from under our comeback. I think if Theo stays in during the Jersey game, I think the outcome is a 50/50 chance of being different. But Battier and Lo can be productive team players for year's to come. Specifically, Battier is the kind of guy that makes PG smile. He keeps everyone else moving on the floor by being so pass conscious.

Diesel, you know I hate excessive trading or just throwing deals out there when the chances of anything coming from it are nil but I'm scratching my head on this one...I'd say 75/25 I'd do it.

Theo is BY FAR the best player in the deal. When healthy, he will have FAR more of an impact on the game than anybody in that deal that Memphis would be giving up. In addition, Lo hasn't exactly been the picture of health over his career. He has missed a lot of time and he's not 100% healthy right now either.

Battier is a role player. Period. Giricek is probably going to be the starter and Battier is probably going to the bench. Is Battier really THAT much better than Ira or Glover at SG? Battier is really a SF and we are certainly set there with Big Dog. I LOVE Lo but he's nowhere near Theo and haven't seen enough of the "Big Russian" to evaluate him. I do know that he's not likely to be in the rotation so just how good can he be?

In addition, you want US to throw in a pick? PLEASE! No way in [censored] would I even consider that. Not even a 2nd rounder. Making the trade would NOT improve our team if Theo is even remotely healthy. [censored], it wouldn't improve us THAT much if he's NOT healthy other than from a depth standpoint. You don't trade All Stars for role players and that is EXACTLY what we would be doing if we made that deal.

I think Email is just a solid CBA player but he does fit us fine now as long as we have a scoring 2 such as Dion. I think Diesel is trying to rebring up something that will get us Battier. I agree, Battier is a GREAT fit to start at the 2 for us. I wouldnt do it though. I think the only way we become a great team is with a great backside defending center like Theo or Ben Wallace. Lo definitely isnt that kinda player. Battier would be a Ira with more offensive skills plus a little more but I think we'd be a weaker team in theory. BUT, that assumes Theo stays healthy! Given his history it would be a solid move for a GM looking for stability to move Theo. I think Babcock knows he's gotta gamble and take this franchise beyond just solid if we wanna get the fans back so I think he's willing to gamble and hold Theo for that potential.

I doubt we make any moves, especially if Dion has an improved year vs last, but I agree with my man Moonknight that any good move for a 2 would be nice. Maybe we can find a 2 that can hit the three pointer and that brings some height and defense to the table...wait, we'll have that when my other man DJ comes back!!! But just in case let's look, and maybe even draft one. I wonder if we could get Juan Dixon for Dion, how has he looked so far?

• Premium Member

Well, take out the first and there's still:

Theo/Dion/Email for Ruskie/Battier/Lo.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/cezary_tryba...x.html?nav=page

I don't think trybanski is ready for everyday play but he will be a player in the future. Also, too many have underestimated Battier. He's a better defender and offensive player than Ira.. Lo is not Theo... But can we trust Theo to stay healthy?

He's a better defender and offensive player than Ira.. Lo is not Theo... But can we trust Theo to stay healthy?"

Can you trust Lo to stay healthy?Battier had a decent

rookie year...However Detroit sure locked him up

last night....2 points...

Battier might defend SOME players better than Ira but he is not as athletic or as quick as Ira is. I think Ira is more versatile as a defender. Obviously, Battier is a better pure shooter but I think Ira is better in the open court and he finishes better around the rim.

Battier only averaged a little over 14 ppg as the 2nd option for Memphis last year. What do you think he would average as the 5th option here? Ira is averaging close to 10 ppg as the 5th option here and if he can continue to do that, I will be very happy.

The bottom line though is that Theo the CHANCE that Theo will remain healthy is worth more than anything we would gain in that trade. Making that trade would not improve our chances of getting to the playoffs or beyond. In fact, it would HURT our chances because we would lose probably the best Center in the EC.