• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

My offseason plan.

shug94

It all starts with the sign and trade of Al Harrington.

Many people have mentioned that New York is a possible trade destination, but it is kinda hard to work out a deal. I have to assume that Isaih is gonna want to dump some salary, and so to me that tells me that Jalen Rose is a likely trade candidate. Especially since, unlike Stephon, he hasn't been rumored in most of the other deals around the league. So if they want Al, and want to give us Jalen, then we need to put some other guys in there to make the salaries work. Also, we don't need Jalen, so the Knicks have to give us something we need. I see the trade going like this:

ATL

Al Harrington $9000000

Tyronn Lue $3500000

Zaza $4000000

Total $16500000

Max Partner $20725000

NY

Jalen Rose $16901500

Channing Frye $2325000

Pick 21 $1185480

Total $20411980

So it works under the salary cap rules too.

This way we get an upgrade at center with Frye. We get Jalen for a couple of years to back up both guard positions, and then we get tons of cap relief. And we get the 21st pick. New York gets 4million of cap relief, a good young center in Zaza, and Al who is a player that Isiah likes. Lue is there to make the money work out. But he can play back up point when they trade francis or marbury (even if they don't, Isiah at least thinks they will, and that is all that matters).

Our pick is likely to fall in the range of 2-6. If Aldridge is there when we pick, then take him. If Aldridge isn't and Bargnani is, then take him. And if both are gone, then take Josh McRoberts.

Then with pick 21 we take UConns Marcus Williams. Of all the teams picking abopve us only one needs a PG, the 76ers. They will take either Williams or Temples Mardy Collins. I think Collins is more likely if they keep AI.

Then our lineup is:

PG: Marcus Williams /Johnson/Ivey/Grundy

SG: Joe Johnson /Josh Childress/Salim

SF: Marvin Williams /Smith/Childress/Donta

PF: Josh Smith / Josh McRoberts/Esteban Batista

C: Channing Frye / Josh McRoberts

We still need a bit of help in the C position, but we still have a second round pick, and some free agent money. Perhaps we pick Aaron Gray or Paul Davis.

Unfortunately I don't think there are any bigmen in free agency who are any better than what we would have. Unless Big Ben could be convinced to join us.

So, there it is, that's my plan. Thoughts? Comments?

I like everything but that lineup in the post. McBob is a few years away from being a solid NBA PF, he's not even close to being a solid NBA C. Likewise, unless Frye packs on some serious pounds, he'll get abused down low. We'd have to get a real C if we made these moves, or at least a guy who can guard other centers.

This will have to be repeated dozens of times between now and the draft, but here we go again.

WE CANNOT TRADE AL FOR A PICK IN THIS DRAFT WITHOUT VIOLATING THE TERMS IN THE CBA. NO TRADES INVOLVING SWAPPING AL OR ANY OTHER FREE AGENT TO BE FOR A 2006 DRAFT PICK ARE POSSIBLE.

OK, so technically you can do a deal under the table, but you need to get multiple parties in agreement, which is highly unlikely that all would agree.

When Minnesota made an arrangement with Joe Smith under the table it strictly involved him and the Minnesota FO. Trading a free agent for a draft pick would have to include two teams, a free agent, draft pick, and players exchanged. Too many variables to make that scenario likely.