• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Tuesday Insider

Random Game Notes

by Chad Ford

Also Below: Krause slams the door on Spree | Lakers put Shaq on ice | Grizzlies still waiting on Michael Dickerson | Peep Show

Tony Delk

Point Guard

Boston Celtics

2002-2003 SEASON STATISTICS

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%

7 13.6 3.6 2.1 .441 .789

So much for the demise of the Celtics. After a crushing offseason and a miserable 0-2 start, the Celtics are on a five-game winning streak and general manager Chris Wallace doesn't look so crazy after all. Over the last five, the Celtics are averaging 104 ppg and seem capable of more. It's no surprise that Paul Pierce and Antoine Walker have found their strokes, but the Celtics are also getting big contributions from what was perceived as their weakest position. After being criticized all summer for not replacing Kenny Anderson, the Celtics' point guard experiment appears to be paying off.

The point guard combo of Tony Delk and Shammond Williams is averaging 23.5 ppg, 6 apg, 6 rpg and only 2.5 turnovers per game. True to his word, coach Jim O'Brien has given Delk and Williams the green light to shoot away. They are averaging a combined nine three-point shots a game. Put them on the floor with Pierce and Walker and the Celtics are taking twice as many threes as their opponents.

Meanwhile, Anderson is stewing on the bench in Seattle, nursing a sore back. Anderson, who was a key contributor to the Celtics' playoff run last season, averaged 9.6 ppg, 5.3 apg and 3.6 rpg.

Shammond Williams

Point Guard

Boston Celtics

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%

7 9.9 2.4 3.9 .431 .857

Monday night versus the Jazz, Delk and Williams combined for 24 points, 6 three-pointers and 8 assists.

When asked if having a multitude of scorers makes the Celtics more confident that they are never out of a game, Delk told the Boston Globe, "You've got to think that. Coach has surrounded Antoine and Paul with good shooters, and we've just got to make shots. That's key to making a run."

The Celtics aren't without their problems. Vin Baker is still struggling to figure out his role off the bench. Baker had his best game of the season against the Jazz. He put up 10 points, grabbed four boards and stayed out of foul trouble. But the team wants still more.

"I know I've been saying this for the last two months, that it's coming, it's coming, it's coming," said Baker. "But [last night] was my first real step. I was the most comfortable I've been being on the floor in a Celtics uniform."

The Celtics' defense has also been lacking. It's been better during their winning streak, but the team is still giving up 96.9 ppg. "This team, sometimes we go through mental lulls," said Pierce. "That's normal. We'll know that we've arrived once we're able to put four quarters like the first quarter together. It's a five-game winning streak, but we definitely still have a long way to go."

Maybe the Grizzlies are just cursed. The Jerry West era is off to a franchise worst 0-8 start with the last two losses coming at the hands of the lowly Nuggets and Warriors. The Grizzlies' front office is trying to be patient, but something is clearly wrong with the team. The Grizzlies have given up double-digit leads to the two worst teams in the NBA, generally play lethargic and are giving up a league-leading 104 ppg. The Warriors, Pistons, Spurs and Mavs all scored season highs versus the Grizzlies.

What gives? The Grizzlies, like so many bad teams, are struggling to find their identity. Over the past two seasons, the team has completely overhauled the entire roster. At every position, coach Sidney Lowe has the choice of playing veterans or young players with promising futures. The veterans complain when the young kids steal all of their time. The future of the franchise suffers when the kids are sitting on the bench waiving towels.

While the Grizzlies have an abundance of shooting guards and forwards, they are shaky at the two most important positions — point guard and center. But that isn't their only problem. Regardless of who is on the floor, the Grizzlies just aren't playing hard.

"In one of huddles, I told the guys that it's like we were playing not to get tired," center Lorenzen Wright told the Memphis Commercial Appeal. "You've got to play and leave it out on the floor. Sid was yelling for intensity the whole game. You just can't turn it on in the fourth quarter."

"We lack a dirty work mindset," Shane Battier added. "You need that mind frame. It's a mind frame that you play tough, you do little things and you create opportunities that help your team."

Lowe has already tried shaking up the starting roster. Gordan Giricek and Battier are back in the starting lineup. Rookie Drew Gooden and veteran Wesley Person are coming off the bench again. Monday night, it didn't have a big effect. The Grizzlies got behind early and Battier struggled in all aspects of the game.

The discouraging thing for Memphis is that it doesn't get easier from here. Its next three games are winnable — two games against the Timberwolves and an away game against the Bulls. After that, things get brutal. The Sixers, Spurs, Wizards and Lakers are next on the schedule. It may Dec. 1st, when the Grizzlies play the Raptors, that the team gets another chance to play a weakened team.

Is it time for Jerry West to suit up and show his team how to get it done? Hey, it worked for MJ.

David Robinson

Center

San Antonio Spurs

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%

7 10.6 12.3 1.0 .519 .692

What are they putting in David Robinson's water? Robinson, who announced this summer that he'd retire after the season, is playing with a renewed vigor. Robinson totaled 13 points and 19 rebounds on Monday — his fifth double-double in seven games — to lead the Spurs to a 91-75 rout of Minnesota.

Robinson's numbers this season, 10.6 ppg, 12.3 rpg and 2 bpg, are impressive. But it's his newfound energy that has his teammates a little stumped.

After having one dunk attempt blocked by Kevin Garnett in the second quarter, Robinson emphatically finished a two-handed slam on the next possession by hanging on the rim. In the fourth quarter, he completed a reverse dunk.

"I haven't seen that," Malik Rose told the San Antonio Express News, "in three years."

"He reminded me of Dennis Rodman," Steve Kerr said. "He was incredible. If you looked at him three weeks ago, you would have never guessed he could be so active. I guess he's smarter than the rest of us. He took his time during the preseason to prepare himself.

"He looks so active. He's obviously taking a lot of Vioxx."

Even the T-Wolves were impressed.

"I asked David if he was sure he wanted to retire at the end of the season," said Kendall Gill.

"I haven't seen him that active since his MVP days," Garnett said.

Robinson, who has suffered from a bad back the past few seasons, spent the summer practicing yoga in an attempt to loosen up the back. Apparently, it's working.

Celtics regroup to bop the Jazz

Shira Springer / Boston Globe

Baker calls this 'my first real step'

Shira Springer / Boston Globe

Grizzly streak goes on

Ronald Tillery / Memphis Commercial Appeal

Out-of-tune Griz need heart transplant

Ron Higgins / Memphis Commercial Appeal

Smoother sailing for the Admiral

Johnny Ludden / San Antonio Express News

'The Admiral' off to fast start for Spurs

Robbi Pickeral / St. Paul Pioneer Press

Krause slams the door on Spree

The latest Latrell Sprewell rumor died an unusually swift death on Tuesday. Bulls operations chief Jerry Krause flatly denied that the Bulls had any interest in swapping Jalen Rose for Spree.

"We're going to end this absurdity," Krause told the Chicago Tribune. "I just talked to Jalen and I told him there is totally no truth to all these rumors. I wouldn't say it to him again except his family had heard it. All this junk that has been printed, there is totally no truth to it. So that ends that."

Rose appreciated Krause's public gesture.

"I come to practice and the guys watch the news and the reports and they saw the rumor, so eventually everybody is going to ask me about my knowledge of it," Rose said. "I think it's good for a guy [Krause] to come in and put it to rest in the mind of the team."

Rose reiterated that he wanted to stay in Chicago. According to the report, which first appeared in the Newark Star Ledger on Sunday, the Bulls had grown tired of Rose and questioned whether he could play with rookie Jay Williams.

A Bulls source told Insider on Sunday that the team wasn't interested in Spree, but Rose was available for the right price.

Speaking of absurdities, Rose is the least of the Bulls worries. Jamal Crawford should be returning to the team today, and after Williams' breakout game on Saturday, his future has never been more up in the air.

Williams reiterated on Monday that he wants to know he can play his game without fear of getting yanked.

"It was good to play and not have to worry about anything, like if you make a mistake, you'll be taken out real quick," Williams told the Chicago Sun Times. "I don't know if it's going to be like that all the time, but I have to go out there and relax and play. It's not only looking over your shoulder, but I'm playing with another great guard in Jamal. It's hard for both of us because we both do well in practice, and then in the games, when one gets in the flow and a mistake happens, the other one comes in. It was different [saturday], not having anything to worry about and allowing the mind to be free."

Coach Bill Cartwright was impressed with Williams' performance, but he isn't ready to just give him the keys.

"Is it going to be a difficult situation? No," Cartwright said after practice Monday. "Whoever is playing the best will be on the floor."

Krause: Rose rumors false

K.C. Johnson / Chicago Tribune

Crawford marking time

Roman Modrowski / Chicago Sun-Times

Lakers put Shaq on ice

So much for Shaquille O'Neal returning to action tonight. Shaq, nine weeks removed from surgery on his big right toe, said Monday he could be as long as two weeks away from returning to the Lakers.

"I'm disappointed, but this is something I don't want to rush," he told the L.A. Times. "When I get in, I want to stay in. Hopefully, I'll be back in a couple weeks. When I do come back, it will be vengeance. A lot of people are taking shots. I read that. So, when I come back, I'll be motivated to play."

According to the Times, O'Neal's condition has worsened over the weekend after a week of practices. O'Neal continues to have pain on the underside of his toe, despite new sneakers and orthotics. He is scheduled to meet today with Dr. Robert Mohr, who performed the surgery.

Coach Phil Jackson is willing to be patient.

"I think if push came to shove and we were in the middle of a playoff situation, then he could probably go out and play," Jackson said. "But, this isn't the time to do that, at this time of year. He could get hurt. He could not be able to respond the right way on the floor. And I don't think he could play longer than three minutes in any one stretch at this point."

Is all of this feeding Shaq's ego? L.A. Daily News columnist Kevin Modesti writes that it's got to be a boost for O'Neal's needy ego to see what is happening to the Lakers in his absence?

"His team is losing, his foot is hurting, and deep down Shaquille O'Neal has to be loving it.Sesamoiditis, or whatever he has, never felt so good. After the Lakers' third NBA championship, after his third NBA Finals Most Valuable Player Award, after 10 professional seasons in which he has been a No. 1 draft pick, Rookie of the Year, regular-season MVP and Olympic gold medalist, Shaq must have wondered if there were any more challenges out there. But now, circumstances, his team's and his own, present him with a new chance and a different way to be a hero."

Shaq's Return Still Uncertain

Tim Brown / Los Angeles Times

Shaq's gotta love how Lakers really need him

Kevin Modesti / Los Angeles Daily News

Grizzlies still waiting on Michael Dickerson

It's been more than a year since Grizzlies guard Michael Dickerson signed a six-year, $42 million extension. And the Grizzlies are still waiting for some sort of a return.

Dickerson suffered a "sports hernia" early last season and ended up missing the entire year. This season, after an encouraging start, he's back on the bench nursing the a sore groin and an even sorer back.

Dickerson's injury is relatively rare and difficult to rehab. Several league sources told Insider over the weekend that the Grizzlies were growing worried about Dickerson's future. Because of the nature of the injury, the Grizzlies were proactive this summer. They added two shooting guards, Wesley Person and Gordan Giricek, to the roster as a stop gap. But with every passing day it's becoming more apparent that they could become Dickerson's permanent replacements.

Dickerson's agent, Mark Bartelstein, told Insider that the injury is healed, but severe soreness has robbed Dickerson of his explosiveness. The Grizzlies agree. A source inside the Grizzlies told Insider Dickerson is trying to play through the pain, but his efforts have led to other problems.

Dickerson, in an attempt to compensate for the soreness in his groin, has been experiencing severe back spasms.

Both Bartelstein and the Grizzlies are confident that Dickerson will eventually return, but for now the team can't count on any significant contributions.

"We really miss him," the Grizzlies source said. "He's a tough, tough player. He shoots the ball well and has the ability to get to the basket. He really wants to play, but we want to make sure he doesn't do anything to make things worse. It's just going to take awhile."

Peep Show

Wizards: Michael Jordan said he feels better about finishing the season in good enough health to make an impact in the playoffs. "I have had no swelling [in the knee]; I haven't had any problems with it," Jordan told the Washington Post. "The back-to-back games and my minutes felt good. We had the day off [sunday] and the knee recovered well. I could get up . . . without creaking, limping or whatever. I felt good physically. That's a positive." Jordan said he doesn't see himself entering the starting lineup anytime soon. "Jerry [stackhouse] is the future, other players are the future. Coming off the bench gives me a chance to look at what the future may be but at the same time I get to look at what gives us a potent basketball team."

Knicks: Latrell Sprewell expects an X-ray of his broken pinkie to clear him today and keep him on course to make his season debut Saturday night against the Sixers at the Garden. "I don't see why [i wouldn't be cleared]," Sprewell told the N.Y. Post. "Nothing has changed. I haven't hurt it. I don't feel any pain, so it should be fine." . . . In the meantime, the Knicks will be even more short-handed. Kurt Thomas, Charlie Ward and Allan Houston are all questionable for tonight's game with various injuries, Newsday reported.

Mavs: The team is considering replacing an injured Nick Van Exel with veteran free agent George McCloud. "There's not a lot left out there, but there's a couple of players we're taking a look at," coach Don Nelson told the Dallas Morning News. "What I'm looking for is a veteran who I know what he can do. And I don't think we can have enough shooters." Van Exel will be out four to six weeks with a knee injury.

Kings: With Mike Bibby and Brent Price on the injured list and Scot Pollard and Mateen Cleaves out for another month, the Kings are discussing adding another big man. "We've talked about names and stuff," coach Rick Adelman told the Sacramento Bee. "But I really think we're going to give it a few days and see how Vlade [Divac] and Chris [Webber] and Keon [Clark] respond. ... if they start really getting beaten up, we may have to do something like that. I don't know how many days we're going to have a full-blown practice until December. What are you going to do, bring somebody in just to practice or someone who you think, if someone gets hurt, you can put into the game? So who is that person going to be?"

Rockets: Maurice Taylor is set to make his return to the NBA. It's been 538 days since he last wore a Rockets uniform in a regular-season game. "It's crazy, ain't it," Taylor told the Houston Chronicle. "He [Olajuwon] retired. Since the last time I played, there's guys that don't even play in the league anymore. It's been a long time. They have new rules. We've got new teams. I've never been to New Orleans. I've never [played] in Memphis. It's a new NBA." For now, Taylor won't start. "He hasn't played in a long, long time," coach Rudy Tomjanovich said. "He looks great in practice. Practice is different from games. Something happens. I know even when I was an older player, those first couple minutes, it's like you're a kid again. You're breathing fast. There's just something about it. You love it. I just know he loves to play basketball. Mo is a good practice player. He really goes after it in practice. We've seen him play pretty doggone good. He's had some tremendous days."

Hawks: Theo Ratliff claims he's healthy enough to carry a full workload again. "I told coach it's time to let me go out and play," Ratliff told the Atlanta Journal Constitution. "When I get winded and need to come out, I'll tell him, but I've got to be able to go out there and get tired if I'm going to build my stamina and really help the team." Hawks coach Lon Kruger relented on Sunday and Ratliff responded with 12 points, 13 rebounds and 4 blocks. He worked 38 minutes, double the combined minutes of his two previous games.

Cavs: Coach John Lucas is sick of his team complaining about the poor point guard play of Bonzi Wells and Milt Palacio. Several Cavs players, including Ricky Davis, miss Andre Miller's steady hand. "I put Phil Jackson's name up there, along with Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal," he told the News Herald. "I told them, 'You guys probably want Phil Jackson [as coach]. I probably want these guys [as players]. What we have is each other, and that's good enough for me.' . . .Those are the kind of comments you make at the back of the bus, not the kinds of comments you make publicly."

Nuggets: The team is third in the NBA in defense this season. Denver is behind Atlanta and Phoenix in opponents' scoring average, allowing 85 points per game. "I'm not surprised," Nuggets coach Jeff Bzdelik told the Denver Post. "I know what we're doing is right if we do it hard. What we must understand is what we've done so far should only give us confidence if we do it hard. If we ever let our guard down, we're going to have a situation like Atlanta where a team scores 103 points on us."

Heat: Caron Butler is still seething over his slip in last summer's draft. "I felt at that point in time, and I still feel today, there wasn't any other player better than me in that draft," Butler told the Miami Herald. "Jason Williams was like the ideal player everybody wanted, clean-cut, from Duke. But besides that, I was feeling like I was the perfect player in that draft as far as versatility, what I could bring to the team and everything. I was hurt. Emotionally, I felt great I was picked up No. 10 by Miami, but I was still hurt because I slipped so far."

Blazers, Spurs: The league suspended Bonzi Wells for his fourth-quarter loogie directed at Danny Ferry. The league decided to suspend Wells for one game despite the fact that it had no video evidence of the event. Apparently, several Spurs, including David Robinson, were eye witnesses. "It's Bonzi's word against whomever," Blazers coach Maurice Cheeks told the San Antonio Express News. "And they suspended him for allegedly spitting on someone. . . . I didn't see it. There's no right way for someone to spit on somebody. There's nothing right with that at all. I don't condone someone spitting on someone else, and it's unfortunate."

Charlotte: The city of Charlotte voted 8-3 for a tentative agreement that commits the public to building a $200 million uptown arena, in return for an NBA expansion team that would operate the building and keep most of the revenue from it, the Charlotte Observer reported. Two groups have applied for the franchise, expected to cost at least $300 million, sources say. Boston-based investor Steve Belkin is preferred by many locals because his group includes former Celtics star Larry Bird. But Black Entertainment Television founder Robert Johnson has his own advantages; he would become the league's only African American majority owner. The NBA hasn't ruled out the possibility that a third contender could emerge. The league is expected to name an ownership group Dec. 17 or Dec. 18.

Draft: Add former Michigan State point guard Marcus Taylor to the long list of early entry draft disasters. Taylor, who slipped to the second round, was cut by the T-Wolves right before the season. Thursday, the NBDL Columbus Riverdragons placed him on waivers, effectively imploding his career.

Time Looks to Be on His Side

Steve Wyche / Washington Post

Spree Shoots For Saturday Return

Mark Hale / New York Post

In Literal Sense, Knicks Can't Play

Greg Logan / Newsday

Surgery shelves Van Exel

Eddie Sefko / Dallas Morning News

If injuries mount, a big man may be added

Martin McNeal / Sacramento Bee

Taylor's long wait to end

Jonathan Feigen / Houston Chronicle