• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jose Juan Barea

If you want a "True Point Guard" here he is.

Jose Juan Barea from Northeastern University.

He was second in the nation in assists at about 8.5 per game.

He also scored 21 points per game.

As a member of the Puerto Rican National team he outplayed all of the point guards that you all now covet.

He set the record for Assists in a game at the Portsmouth Invitational tournament with 18. He avg 13.5 for the tournament.

And we can have him in the second round. All because of the bias against Latin players.

I have seen him play on a few occasions and I am telling you that he is the real deal. For some stats go to his website at

http://www.gobarea.com

There are also profiles of him at draft Xpress and NBAdraft.com.

He will be the steal of this draft!

As much as we get our ass kick in international play by Latin American players...especially the puerto rican team, you rarely hear about them in draft time. I mean how many of us even heard about Esteban Batista before we picked him up?

They are never talked up as much as White European players, and their play is just as good, particularly from the guard position. But there is no way in hell Barea should be a second rounder. And if J.P. Batista was J.P. Jones, he'd be a late first rounder.

he may be a great prospect and all but to be honest, there is absolutely NO reason for ANY GM to be bias when their jobs are on the line and they'll do anything to find anyone who might help their team, latin, european, or alien.

you could have said there was a bias against white centers but Bogut got drafted first last year.

Quote:

Jason Williams is a true point guard.

And I guess being second in the nation in assists makes you a combo guard. Geez.

He's also more talented than Barea.

Barea scored 21 ppg, but he shot 40% on FGs and 29% from 3PT...in college.

He had 8.4 APG, but he had a 1.8 A/TO ratio. Not good.

Barea dominated the ball in Northeastern's offense. What "true" PG takes 30% of his team's shots?

Barea was a flashy, exciting player to watch. He almost single-handedly buried Georgia State when I saw him in Atlanta last year. But, he's not a starting-quality NBA PG. People bitched about Lue dominating the ball, Barea would be so much worse.

I disagree that he was more talented, Barea has to dominate the ball because he is surrounded by JUCO caliber talent, as opposed to Jason Williams who played with decent big men. Hell Barea should be commended for avg 8.5 assists per game while being the team's No 1 option.

Las as far as Diaz goes, I don't know who he is better than but I know that he should be at least in the discussion, and he is just as quick and athletic as Rondo is. With a much better shot as well.

• 2 years later...