• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What I would do

Packfill

I am no expert, but given Jaywalker's report and the ownership mess it seems unlikely that the Hawks will be active in the free agent market. It also seems highly plausible that the team will not resign Al and will not be in position to trade him. If that is the case, then the Hawks will again be a very, very young team so expecting them to win might be too optimistic.

That said, if we know we are going to be a young team, and we know we won't be able to fill out the roster in free agency, and there is a strong chance the Hawks will not have a first round pick next year, I think a trade down makes sense.

If the Hawks stayed at 5, I think Sheldon or Foye make the most sense because both likely will be able to contribute early and both fill a need (Sheldon = interior defense; Foye = dribble penetration in the half court game and defense on the perimeter) - though they do not fill those needs perfectly (i.e., Sheldon is really a forward and compounds the forward glut problem and Foye is not really a point guard or someone who can lead the fastbreak).

If possible, a trade down may make sense (perhaps with NO) to get two picks in the 10-17 range. If such a deal was made the Hawks could take a bigman (whomever was left between Simmons/O'Bryant/Sene) and a point guard (Rondo/Lowry/Farmar). Such a deal allows the Hawks to fill in the roster. It would not provide immediate help but would mitigate the inactivity in free agency and the lack of a pick next year. The team would suck in the short term but would at least have a chance of being balanced and non-positionally challenged in two years.

Part of me thinks the top of this years draft is just not that special and that the real value in the draft is in the 10-20 range. A guy like Farmar has as much chance to make it drafted at 20 as a guy like Marcus Williams at 9.

If we were to trade down the 2 guys I would want would be Brewer & Sene but since I dont see that happening I hope we take Foye/Roy with #5 ( I dont expect LA to be there ). I do like your logic though.

There's a big part of me that wants to trade down for an extra pick. It would relieve a lot of the pressure for #5 and help the franchise as this draft doesn't have much certainty at the top, but has a lot of depth relative to other recent drafts.

The problem is finding a partner.

#5 for bynum/la 2007 pick

otherwise, trade down for NOOK's 2 1sts

otherwise, trade down for 10/petro

otherwise, trade down for head/shelden

i'm not thrilled about getting shelden, but i'm getting used to the idea; we do need interior defense and strength is possibly a bigger part of that than height...there is a chance shelden could start at center for us and then play pf when smoove or marvin are on the bench...if so, then shelden would be a good choice as him/smoove down low with batman the bruiser backing up would anchor our defense

but i like bynum better

Quote:

There's a big part of me that wants to trade down for an extra pick. It would relieve a lot of the pressure for #5 and help the franchise as this draft doesn't have much certainty at the top, but has a lot of depth relative to other recent drafts.

The problem is finding a partner.

The easiest way to work a trade down is having a plan with each team that might want each possible available player at #5. When the options are there (let's say Roy and Aldridge fall) we call the potentially interested teams and work fast.

I think any trades that are done tonight will be because a lower team sees someone dropping and can't wait any longer. It is that desperation, and (hopefully) "fog of war", that could land us a solid deal.

Quote:

...The easiest way to work a trade down is having a plan with each team that might want each possible available player at #5. When the options are there (let's say Roy and Aldridge fall) we call the potentially interested teams and work fast.

I think any trades that are done tonight will be because a lower team sees someone dropping and can't wait any longer. It is that desperation, and (hopefully) "fog of war", that could land us a solid deal.

Agree SK...that's pretty much what they were saying on the espn pre-draft show last night...gotta have your options charted out depending on who falls and be ready to adapt in a hurry if you want to take advantage. It should be fun to watch.

As far as the #33 pick goes - no way to target a particular player there. I think I would just make a list of acceptable bigs and see who is left at that point. Get the best upside we can understanding that the guy will probably spend at least a year in the NBDL. No use in getting another 2nd round PG-type. We already have 2 of those...unless there is a serious diamond in the rough out there.