• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ballhandling and Initiating Offense

Nurlman

After having a chance to shake the disgust out of my head after this latest debacle, I think I know what the lion's share of the problem is (even though I turned it off in the third quarter).

JT is not a terrible ballhandler - a bit careless at times - but he's virtually the only one on the roster. He's about the only one who penetrates or initiates plays. Other teams know this and are focusing their efforts on him. Most of the time he's on the floor with 4 forwards, many of whom have stone hands, which makes him less effective than he'd be with at least one secondary playmaker.

Newble brings energy, defense, dirty work, and an improved outside shot, but he's not a ballhandler. When JT is on the bench, it's Email, and Email is - well, a CBA player, I'm afraid. Glover is a scorer and adept at creating his own shot and finishing, but is not a ballhandler or initiator.

Dickau would help but he's not really the answer - he's another small point guard. Several people have suggested trades for 2 guards that can handle a bit, and I think they have the right idea.

The problem is not that JT is not a fine player -- he is. But he has to play the point for defensive reasons and the two guard that plays alongside must be able to create, defend the perimeter, contribute some to the offense, and most importantly, take care of the basketball. That's a tall order, and we don't really have anyone who can do it.

There have been many here who have suggested trading JT, and I have always disagreed with that. But unless they can match him with the right two guard, they may be right.

I suppose the shorthand for what I've suggested is "chemistry". In a chemical reaction, there needs to be enough of both agents to get the desired reaction. Here, we have plenty of guys who can finish, but not enough who can create opportunities for others, initiate, and TAKE CARE OF THE BASKETBALL.

Nurl I am sorry for the things I have said.I really

don't want to argue.But it's just so hard to watch

a team that is talented,but does so little correctly

on the court and it drives me nuts.

I do think Lon is some of the problem but not all.He

is a nice guy and could have possibly been a sucessful

coach if he was assisant for a few years.I think he is

too inexpeirenced to do this position.

IF Lon was a assisant coach I wouldn't mind it.But I

think we need to go after somebody with legit playoff

expeirence.

Danny A is the right guy for the job...He was a shooter

and he played on some of the best teams ever and

he was a pretty good coach in Phx.

• Premium Member

Sure we could bring in a better ballhandler at the 2. Anderson, Barry.... etc. However the on thing that you can't put your finger on is that with better coaching (offensive plays) we would do a lot better. Terry needs some structure on offense. Not just the go out there and make it happen that it seems like he's been told.

I seriously believe that before Long, Babcock might use JT in a trade. I think that Babcock has never really thought of JT as being a good PG. What may happen is that JT and someone else will be a part of a trade that brings in a PG. Unfortunately, I don't think that really solves the bulk of our problems.

problem and no other posters thought it was much of a problem. The 2 main problems dealing with ballhandling are that we have no true 2 guard on the roster. Ira is a pure 3. Dion is some hybrid 2/3 with no handles. DJ is on the pine and he was a questionable ballhandler anyway. So teams are regularly running two guys at JT in the halfcourt forcing him to pass the ball early. No one else is capable of initiating the O or even handling the rock in these situations. The 2nd problem is coaching. Lon has shown no ability to adapt to this ballhandling problem by preparing the team for the JT trap or by calling plays that require little setup. He also has not tried to go small (e.g. MM and JT) for short intervals of time to change the tempo and flow. Until the problems are addressed (better coaching and preparation, or adding a true 2), I don't see us improving.

This is the same problem the Warriors had with Larry Hughes last year, and with Gilbert Arenas this year (until Earl Boykins was signed).

When your team only has one guy on the floor who can initiate plays -- and even he is still on the learning curve as far as reading and reacting to defenses -- your offense becomes predictable.

It then becomes very easy for opponents to look at tape, figure out where to apply pressure... and wind up looking like they know your offense better than your guys do.

A second capable ballhandler on the floor would make Terry a much more effective PG.

I sent the post more or less verbatim to Pete and got the following reply (within hours, no less):

I think you appraisal of our ballhandling is fairly accurate and we are working daily to cut down on the foolish turnovers we seem to have every night to date. We are also talking to teams daily to explore trade options which would address our weaknesses as a team. I appreciate your comments and hope we are able to earn your continued support as the season progresses.

Pete Babcock