• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Adam LaRoche: Stick to your guns!

LaRoche not forgetting boos

By DAVID O'BRIEN

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 07/27/06

A Turner Field whipping boy two months ago, Adam LaRoche has turned boos to applause with steady defense and power-hitting production.

The crowd response hasn't gone unnoticed by the Braves first baseman, who has hit .366 with nine home runs and 21 RBIs in his past 24 games, including 3-for-3 with two walks and a game-winning home run Wednesday.

Ben Gray / AJC

(ENLARGE)

Back in the starting lineup for the first time since last Friday, Andruw Jones celebrates with Jeff Francoeur after his tying homer in the eighth.

"If you're going to boo me when I'm struggling, then boo me now or don't do anything," the affable LaRoche said in a quiet monotone. "If you're going to call in [to talk shows] and say you don't want me here, that's fine.

"But I don't want those same guys to be standing up for me when things are going well. That's just the way I am. I've got no problem with you if you hate me. But stick to your guns; don't go back and forth."

After hitting .226 with five homers and 19 RBIs in 39 games through May 16, he has hit .304 with 15 homers and 39 RBIs in his past 55 games.

LaRoche was booed lustily at Turner Field after an admittedly careless error May 14 vs. Washington, when he fielded Nick Johnson's slow grounder up the line, turned his back on the runner and jogged to first base.

Johnson took advantage, picked up his pace and beat LaRoche to first. The error led to four unearned runs in what had been a 1-0 game.

"I took the blame for that, all of it," said LaRoche, who has played mostly exceptional defense since, and been a big part of the team's resurgence.

"I know the fans were frustrated there for a while, which they should have been," he said. "It's nice to get back on track, which we've done, at least in the wild-card picture."

The Joneses are back

After three games without the Joneses in their lineup, the Braves got both of them back Wednesday.

Chipper Jones had been expected to miss another start with his strained left oblique (side) muscle, but said he felt better Wednesday and lobbied manager Bobby Cox for inclusion in the lineup.

Wilson Betemit was in the original lineup at third base, but Cox changed it.

Center fielder Andruw Jones had been out with back spasms. He said before Tuesday's game he planned not to play until Thursday to have time to heal properly.

That lasted only a few hours, until he was used to pinch hit in the eighth inning Tuesday (he struck out). Jones was in the lineup Wednesday.

"He lost one [game] as a manager, so he has to get back in there," joked Cox, referring to Jones' frequent chatter and suggestions when he was on the bench.

Davies nearing return

Pitcher Kyle Davies passed another test in his comeback and could return to the Braves' starting rotation by mid-August.

The Stockbridge rookie took fielding practice Wednesday for the first time since groin surgery in late May. He fielded bunts, covered first base and other drills at full speed without any difficulty.

He's set to throw two innings in simulated game conditions Friday and could begin a minor league rehab assignment next week.

John Thomson began a rehab assignment Tuesday allowing three hits and two runs in 1 2/3 innings for Class A Rome. He's set to pitch again Friday, a schedule that indicates he could be moved to the bullpen when activated.