• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

what u guys think about the BRAVES new signings?

cyman3

Braves will continue to be the Braves, even without the

services of Tom Glavine. Leo's lads will continue to be

one of the best pitching rotations in the majors and the

relief crew will still be very good.

Some of the rest of the Braves, as currently on the roster,

may not be exactly what they need or will end up being.

If Greg M. stays they will be more than adequately

covered on the pitching side and may trade some pitching

for other players. If he doesn't stay, then they will have

money to spend on other players.

Either way, I believe the Braves are ready to win their

division again -- What additions they may make from

now until next summer some time will determine where

they end up in post-season.

something better than this. The fact that he went to the Phillies is just incredible to me. The Phillies have to be jumping for joy right now. They are probably going to get a much younger (and I think better) pitcher in Millwood for LESS than they were offering Glavine.

The Braves should have seen this scenario developing and NOT offered arbitration to Maddux. Now, they HAVE to sign Maddux for more than Millwood was going to get in arbitration. Maddux is probably still a LITTLE better right now but for how long? I would have rather seen Maddux go than Millwood.

Things are not looking good for the Braves. They have done nothing to upgrade the offense and although the pitching staff is still not bad, it's weaker than it was. I think they counted on Maddux walking rather than accepting arbitration and it backfired.

The Braves and Yankees talked, but the Yankees said no when we asked for Nick Johnson.

The Braves and Red Sox were set to do a Millwood for Floyd deal had Cliff Floyd accepted arbitration, but that fell through when he didn't. The Red Sox were then going to send Casey Fossum to the Braves for Millwood if the Braves would pick up most of Millwood's salary. The Braves said no.

Then, they did the Estrada deal.

I don't think they counted on Maddux walking. I think that the Braves brass thought Maddux would make a gentleman's agreement with them, refuse arbitration, and sign a 3 year deal at a lower cost. Which is still possible yet.

Millwood was going to be dealt regardless. While they have ridden him through his tough times, they don't feel that Millwood has #1 starter potential. They tried all winter to deal Millwood, and a couple of scenarios got jilted at the last minute.

I know that the Braves offered Millwood for Cliff Floyd, and that deal would have gotten done if Floyd had agreed to arbitration with the Red Sox.

A deal with Montreal never materialized. I don't know if it involved Millwood, but the Braves tried to get Javier Vasquez and Michael Barrett from the Expos. The deal was nixed when Montreal wanted Atlanta to take on Fernando Tatis's contract.