• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I hope the QB less Bulldogs stink this year.

Plainview1981

Quote:

Greene wasn't a good qb? And Shockley in his one year of starting didn't strike you as a good qb?

I was never impressed with either. I guess they're above average college QB's. But I'm not so much a college football fan so I look at them for what they'd do in the NFL.

I'm surprised David Greene was even drafted though... His mobility didn't impress me very much. It's been a few years, I could have told you then why I was impressed. But I forget details very quickly.

I just remember being unimpressed. I guess some of that is because of the way I look at the QB's.

Quote:

What's their gimmick?

Bet you that he brings one of the young guys along before the end of the year to make their offense more explosive.

I just mean I'm tired of the whole UGA dog thing. The whole mascot stuff... But then again, I never really get into that part of it.

Basically everybody I know is a Bulldog fan though. I get tired of the hype this time of year.

• Moderators

Green is the winningest QB in NCAA history so he has that going for him but I don't think he ever projected to being much more than a career backup in the NFL. However, to be a great college player you don't have to be a great future NFL player.

A basketball analogy might be pointing out that Calbert Cheaney was a great college basketball player but nowhere near as good a pro player as a mediocre college guy like Jeff Hornacek.

Quote:

Green is the winningest QB in NCAA history so he has that going for him but I don't think he ever projected to being much more than a career backup in the NFL. However, to be a great college player you don't have to be a great future NFL player.

This is the exact point I was gonna bring up. It's hard to knock a guy who was the winningest QB in NCAA history. With that said, I think there's a lot of merit to be given to guys that play at that high a level for 3 or 4 years straight. While the NFL has far superior talent, you don't get the infusion of talent in college either, so putting together a 3 or 4 year run in college is probably harder to do than in the NFL with free agency. David Greene couldn't lobby for a starting receiver after Terrence Edwards dropped that pass... mad.gif

Quote:

A basketball analogy might be pointing out that Calbert Cheaney was a great college basketball player but nowhere near as good a pro player as a mediocre college guy like Jeff Hornacek.

The Bulldogs kept on winning without him and didn't really suffer any letdown without him. So, how much credit does Greene really get?

I know what your saying... But still, not being a college ball fan I look at these players and judge them by how they would do in the NFL.

I thought David Pollack would be an above average DE in the pro's, but I haven't heard much of him. Who does he play for?

Quote:

The Bulldogs kept on winning without him and didn't really suffer any letdown without him. So, how much credit does Greene really get?

I know what your saying... But still, not being a college ball fan I look at these players and judge them by how they would do in the NFL.

I thought David Pollack would be an above average DE in the pro's, but I haven't heard much of him. Who does he play for?

The fact that the Dawgs keep winning without him is more a testament to the program that Mark Richt has built and not the mediocrity of David Greene. On top of him we've had DJ Shockley, Blake Barnes, Joe Cox, and most recently Matt Stafford; all of which are/were top recruits at the QB position.

And Pollack plays for the Bengals, along with Odell Thurman.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

I think Greene gets a good deal of credit. The NFL thought so as well since he was a third round pick (same round as Joe Montana, Tom Brady, etc.) The Bulldogs kept it up last year by going to the former top QB in the country according to some HS recruiting gurus. Shockley deserves some major credit for last year's success as well, IMO.

By your logic, Peyton Manning isn't that great a QB since not only did TN sustain its success after he graduated but it actually raised its play and won a championship under Tee Martin. The parallels between Martin and Shockley are pretty clear as they both stepped in successfully as seniors and led very good teams to very good seasons (Nat'l and SEC champions respectively).

Quote:

Quote:

The fact that the Dawgs keep winning without him is more a testament to the program that Mark Richt has built and not the mediocrity of David Greene. On top of him we've had DJ Shockley, Blake Barnes, Joe Cox, and most recently Matt Stafford; all of which are/were top recruits at the QB position.

And Pollack plays for the Bengals, along with Odell Thurman.

I remember not being overly impressed by Greene's skills. Atleast not for the NFL level.

I wasn't really implying that David Greene was a mediocre college QB, but I don't think he has much to offer at the NFL level. And as I said, being that I'm not a college football fan, I don't judge a QB by college football standards.

Most of the Bulldogs QB's are freshman or are very green. Correct? Yeah, I know that's part of the college game, but does the Bulldogs even have a clear number 1 right now?

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I think Greene gets a good deal of credit. The NFL thought so as well since he was a third round pick (same round as Joe Montana, Tom Brady, etc.) The Bulldogs kept it up last year by going to the former top QB in the country according to some HS recruiting gurus. Shockley deserves some major credit for last year's success as well, IMO.

Yeah, well also Quincy Carter went in the 2nd round. How has his career turned out?

Quote:

By your logic, Peyton Manning isn't that great a QB since not only did TN sustain its success after he graduated but it actually raised its play and won a championship under Tee Martin. The parallels between Martin and Shockley are pretty clear as they both stepped in successfully as seniors and led very good teams to very good seasons (Nat'l and SEC champions respectively).

When has David Greene displayed the skills of Peyton Manning? From what I remember, his throws were often not on target. For a more pure passing QB, you got to admit that 58% passes complete isn't all that impressive.

And yes, I thought Shockley was more impressive than David Greene who looked like an NFL 3rd stringer in a good system. Which made Greene look better than he actually is.

Quote:

I remember not being overly impressed by Greene's skills. Atleast not for the NFL level.

I wasn't really implying that David Greene was a mediocre college QB, but I don't think he has much to offer at the NFL level. And as I said, being that I'm not a college football fan, I don't judge a QB by college football standards.

Most of the Bulldogs QB's are freshman or are very green. Correct? Yeah, I know that's part of the college game, but does the Bulldogs even have a clear number 1 right now?

I agree that Greene didn't look like he would translate well to the NFL compared to most qb prospects who usually have a cannon for an arm.

And as for the Dawgs current qb situation, Richt has named Tereshinski the starter, which I like because he's been in the system for as many years as Barnes, Cox, and Stafford COMBINED. But in the long run it won't surprise me one bit if one of the young bucks gets a few starts in.

Quote:

Quote:

I agree that Greene didn't look like he would translate well to the NFL compared to most qb prospects who usually have a cannon for an arm.

And as for the Dawgs current qb situation, Richt has named Tereshinski the starter, which I like because he's been in the system for as many years as Barnes, Cox, and Stafford COMBINED. But in the long run it won't surprise me one bit if one of the young bucks gets a few starts in.

I'm sure one of the them will turn out well... There's just a bunch of inexpierence there. Oh, and I saw Polleck in the Bengals/Packers game... It looked like they turn him into a linebacker. Wasn't he a DE at Georgia?

Quote:

He was a 3 time All-American DE at Georgia but would be on the light side in the NFL. Accordingly, he was seen as an ideal fit as a rushing linebacker in the 3-4 system.

With my memory not always been that good I have to be reminded sometimes. I remember him making some big plays though.

• 2 weeks later...