• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Indy's Overrated

skyhawk

• Moderators

Indy vs. Atl will be a great comparison this year. Most of us have bought into BK's philosophy that the whole thing needed to be blown up and started over to ever hope for an elite team. Indy is still trying to avoid this in the belief that they can tweak an average team and become a championship team. The big advantage with this is you keep more fans and sell more tickets.

It seems easy to say that the Pacers will be better. But the team is largely dependent on JO, Al, Tinsley. Those guys are really good players but they probably aren't going to be a lot better players this year than they have been in the past.

The Hawks core is JJ, Smoove, Marvin, Chill, Shelden. JJ we know what to expect but it is very possible that some of the other four could break out at any time. This seems more likely and more common than Indy replacing Artest with Al and going to the top of the conference.

I am not impressed with Indy's roster. Even if everything goes right for them, they won't make it past the 2nd round of the playoffs. If JO gets hurt and misses significant time, they struggle to make the playoffs. What is going to be interesting to watch is if they put Al at PF so Granger can get more playing time. If they do this, Indy fans are going to know how to spell "matador" like it was their own last name, because they are going to be using the term so often.

It's funny how skewed it all is. The Pacers go .500 last year 41-41 under adversity and the Pacer fans are really dissatisfied and discouraged. The Hawks win 39 games in two years and they are heading to the playoffs and much better than the Pacers. Defies logic.

As for head to head, if you beat Dallas and Miami head to head last year or even sweep them, but lose the rest of your games, so therefore you are clearly the better team than both, so you are therefore are the NBA champs..... When is the banner ceremony?

Quote:

I am not impressed with Indy's roster. Even if everything goes right for them, they won't make it past the 2nd round of the playoffs. If JO gets hurt and misses significant time, they struggle to make the playoffs. What is going to be interesting to watch is if they put Al at PF so Granger can get more playing time. If they do this, Indy fans are going to know how to spell "matador" like it was their own last name, because they are going to be using the term so often.

I am not impressed with ATL's roster. Even if everything goes right for them, they won't make it to the playoffs. If JJ gets hurt and misses significant time, they struggle to not be the very worst team in the league. What is going to be interesting to watch is if they put Josh Smit at PF so Marvin can get more playing time. If they do this, ATL fans are going to know how to spell "turnover" like it was their own last name, because they are going to be using the term so often.

Quote:

It seems easy to say that the Pacers will be better. But the team is largely dependent on JO, Al, Tinsley. Those guys are really good players but they probably aren't going to be a lot better players this year than they have been in the past.

This seems more likely and more common than Indy replacing Artest with Al and going to the top of the conference.

JO and AL didn't play TOGETHER last year so how good they can be together in their prime isn't known, so its not relevant to say they won't be better.

More importantly, they aren't replacing Artest with Al, Artest missed the entire season two years ago, and played a month last year for the Pacers. Peja almost never played with JO in the same games and was here for 3 months and only played in 2 of 6 playoff games. Basically, they are adding Al, along with reworking over half the team.

As a side note watch James White play and then in the Dunk contest next year and tell me theres not potential to improve.

Speed, I'm sorry if the truth hurts, but you have one #1-type player in JO that either gets hurt a lot, or disappears in the playoffs (this comes from Pacer's Digest members); Big Al, whom the majority of this forum did not want to keep around as a Hawk; Granger, who supposedly has the potential to be a good all round player (but if this is true, why did you trade for Al); SJax, a player most Pacer fans despise; and a lot of role players who are not well rounded enough to be starters. There is no way I would trade the Hawks' roster for the Pacers'.

Quote:

Speed, I'm sorry if the truth hurts, but you have one #1-type player in JO that either gets hurt a lot, or disappears in the playoffs (this comes from Pacer's Digest members); Big Al, whom the majority of this forum did not want to keep around as a Hawk; Granger, who supposedly has the potential to be a good all round player (but if this is true, why did you trade for Al); SJax, a player most Pacer fans despise; and a lot of role players who are not well rounded enough to be starters. There is no way I would trade the Hawks' roster for the Pacers'.

No problem, I wouldn't trade rosters either, it would suck to wait 3 years to see if they are going to be good. I hope the ATL fans are ready for a 25-30, at most, win season the Pacers are in the second round of the playoffs, at least with a chance to do something. When the Pacers are a top 5 team in the East and the Hawks are a bottom 3, at least the fans stuck with them. Go ping pong balls, oh wait.... With the first overall selection in the 2007 draft acquired in a trade from the Atlanta Hawks, the Phoenix Suns select Greg Oden......

Quote:

Go ping pong balls, oh wait.... With the first overall selection in the 2007 draft acquired in a trade from the Atlanta Hawks, the Phoenix Suns select Greg Oden......

It ain't going to happen. Even if we fall apart and place that high in the lottery (unlikely), the 2007 pick is top 3 protected. Get your facts straight.

Quote:

JO had 37, 15, and 5 blocks in game 3. Averaged 21 and 7.5 for the series, I don't call that not showing up. He has been injured 2 times in his career that made him miss multiple games, not what you want, but none of it has been career threatening.

ATL not wanting to keep a co Captain who was the second leading scorer, rebounder, and assist guy, in Al, I can't explain.

Granger does have potential to be a very good all around player which allows him to play along side AL very effectively, so you answered your own question.

SJAX is not liked by some because he argues with the refs to much, because fans don't like aspects of a player doesn't mean he's not effective averaged 16.4, 3.9 boards, 2.8 assists, and 1.28 steals in 81 games.

As far as role players off the bench that are not well rounded or consistent enough to start, well isn't that the definition of a bench player? Isn't that what a bench is?

Quote:

Quote:

Go ping pong balls, oh wait.... With the first overall selection in the 2007 draft acquired in a trade from the Atlanta Hawks, the Phoenix Suns select Greg Oden......

It ain't going to happen. Even if we fall apart and place that high in the lottery (unlikely), the 2007 pick is top 3 protected. Get your facts straight.

Good there is something to hope for then.

Hey Speed, I noticed that Pacers Digest has suddenly become a private forum that fans from other teams can no longer read. Is that because Pacers fans don't other team's fans crapping in their forum (hint, hint)?

Quote:

Hey Speed, I noticed that Pacers Digest has suddenly become a private forum that fans from other teams can no longer read. Is that because Pacers fans don't other team's fans crapping in their forum (hint, hint)?

You got it, good luck to the Hawks. Stay fans even through the thin, it will make it that much more sweet someday.