• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Indy's Overrated

skyhawk

All the talk of getting a pick in the 20s and Al being the final piece of the puzzle is something I just don't see as Indy is an overrated team.

No matter what Al brings, Indy's only going to go as far as JO can take them. Yeah, they may be a more athletic and higher scoring team, but JO and Tinsley are the keys to their season and both of them have a history of injuries. Even if both stay healthy, I don't see the Pacers as being a 'beast in the east'. Al's health is also a concern in my book which certainly lowers his value and potential contribution. I think they make the playoffs but I don't see them being more than a bottom seed.

No matter what Ford says, only time will team as to how great of an off-season they've had.

Quote:

They have missed the playoffs once in 17 years. I think it is a good bet they make the playoffs.

As I learned in the stock market in 2000 - "Past results does not guarantee future performance". I wish I had read that little blurb more closely when I was buying all of those internet funds. grin.gif

Same thing with the Pacers, they have almost an entirely new team so there's no guarantee they make the playoffs this year, especially if JO or Tinsley is out for a long time. Furthermore we all know firsthand that Al can't carry a team to the playoffs by himself.

Personally, I think the Pacers are no better than what we are right now.

They start out the season 10 - 7 with Artest. Then they win 5 of their next 6 games when the Pacers decide to basically "deactivate" him.

Mid-late December they have a 15 - 8 record.

They go on to post a 26 - 33 record the rest of the year . . and posted a 24 - 28 record against the Eastern conference.

Adding Harrington and "Brotha" Marquis Daniels, but losing Peja, Fred Jones, and Anthony Johnson . . is not an upgrade to that team IMO.

They're banking on Granger making a huge contribution to that team next year. If he doesn't, the Pacers are in serious trouble.

I think Daniels is an upgrade over Jones and Johnson. Al/Peja is a push at this point.

Really, their success hinges on health - but that is true of every team.

If they have reasonable health, I just do not see how the Pacers are not one of the top 4 or 5 teams in the East. Every team in the East has a question mark. I think Lascar provided a 3 tier breakdown in another thread that makes alot of sense.

That team played some of its best ball with O'Neal and/or Tinsley out.

Indy fans themselves have been questioning whether O'Neal can be the undisputed leader of the team. That role used to be Artest's.

Indy was the ONLY PLAYOFF TEAM last year, to have a losing record vs the Eastern Conference.

That team, ironically, was 20 - 12 vs teams over .500.

So ask yourself this. Do you honestly think that the Pacers can play that well against the good teams again?

When you look at the Hawks roster, and the Pacers roster, there's NO WAY IN HELL I'd trade all that we have, to get all that they have.

Give me our team any day of the week over theirs.

I agree, it is going to be a rough season for them. They got younger, which usually means your going to take a hit in Ws short term. They don't have anyone to spread the floor in a half-court set, and to be able to run you have to have a good defensive team, which they will not be.

The player that always made them a cut above was Artest (as in Detest). But they could not live with him, and they are going to be a boder-line playoff team or below for years to come without him.

Quote:

As I learned in the stock market in 2000 - "Past results does not guarantee future performance". I wish I had read that little blurb more closely when I was buying all of those internet funds.

i have a little present for you. Just bend over.....

horn_up_ass.jpg

Quote:

The Hawks may have more potential then Indiana but the Hawks are still very young and that historically does not bode well for a teams playoff chances.

That's true. But I truly believe that this team is poised to make a jump much like the 2004 Bulls did.

Offensively, I don't see us losing a step with us losing Al. It's going to give other players a chance to step up and make bigger contributions. It looks like Marvin will be up to the task. Smith will at least try to fill that scoring void. Childress ( if he stays aggressive ) will be a solid contributor and could possibly be our 3rd leading scorer.

Even a guy like Salim, who will probably have the same role as last year as the hired gun, should also be an improved player.

Add that with JJ, and this team is on par with the Pacers. Last year, we were a much better offensive squad than them. Unless Harrington is going to come in, and shoot 48% next year, they won't be much better than a .500 team. I say 33 - 38 wins.

The major questionmark in my mind for us, is if this team is better defensively.

If we lower the ppg given up to around 97, we can make that jump to be a playoff team.

We'll just have to see how well defensively guys like Marvin, Smoove, and even Shelden are against the starters in this league.

Quote:

As I learned in the stock market in 2000 - "Past results does not guarantee future performance". I wish I had read that little blurb more closely when I was buying all of those internet funds.

What I have learned about the market is that it's best to stay with the blue-chippers, at least from my perspective. I've held on to stock in General Electric, Exxon, British Petroleum, Chevron, Progress Energy Inc., and Bank of America for years now.

None of these stocks offer the incredible growth rates of some of these start-up companies, but none of them offer the accompanying risks. All you get with these stocks is a slow, steady, inexorable growth, and it is really kind of stunning watching watching the value of my portfolio grow substantially by the year- just by virtue of its slow, steady growth.

The next thing to do when I get some available cash is to invest in Union Pacific Railroads. It's got the strongest buy rating possible right now, and with gas prices continuing to rise and thus long-distance trucking becoming less and less economically feasible- railroad's are going to be where it's at, and UP is an extremely well-run company.

Quote:

Personally, I think the Pacers are no better than what we are right now.

Wow, the Pacers won more last season with Artest sitting out, JO hurt, Tinsley hurt than ATL has COMBINED the last 2 years, and ATL lost its 2nd best scorer, rebouder, and assist guy and the Pacers now have him. ATL signed a back up PG to start and a below avg back up big man, while drafting a guy that was slotted 10 picks lower and is undersized for the pro game. You have to be kidding?!?!?

Quote:

A lot of people here don't realize how many games your regulars missed last year. I added it up once and it wasn't pretty.

Like I said I like ATL's young fellas, they will be fun to watch, Joe Johnson is clutch, but the Hawks aren't close, in 3 years could be very good, I would guess if the team is managed well and builds around that core, but not this year and not next w/o a good first round pick. And between the Hawks and Pacers it isn't close, no offense but be objective.

Quote:

How was that funny??

I was kind of wondering the same thing. The fact that you can see a spot of blood on the bull's horn where it's going up that guy's ass sort of takes the funniness factor out of it for me. I find the pic scary in a very visceral kind of way, and wonder if the dude managed to survive that.

Quote:

Quote:

A lot of people here don't realize how many games your regulars missed last year. I added it up once and it wasn't pretty.

Like I said I like ATL's young fellas, they will be fun to watch, Joe Johnson is clutch, but the Hawks aren't close, in 3 years could be very good, I would guess if the team is managed well and builds around that core, but not this year and not next w/o a good first round pick. And between the Hawks and Pacers it isn't close, no offense but be objective.

What was the head to head last season? You know Indy versus Atlanta ? Is it an indication of which team is better? At least Last season.