• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The 5th pick in the draft since 1990

TheNorthCydeRises

I think this will make for interesting reading, seeing how everybody is putting all of this weight on who and what the 5th pick in the draft is supposed to be for a team.

1990 - Kendall Gill ( Charlotte )

1991 - Steve Smith ( Miami )

1992 - LaPhonzo Ellis ( Denver )

1993 - J.R. Rider ( T-Wolves )

1994 - Juwan Howard ( Washington )

1995 - Kevin Garnett ( T-Wolves )

1996 - Ray Allen ( T-Wolves .. then dealt to Milwaukee )

1997 - Tony Battie ( Denver )

1998 - Vince Carter ( G-State )

1999 - Johnathan Bender ( Indy )

2000 - Mike Miller ( Orlando )

2001 - Jason Richardson ( G-State . . later acquired by Toronto )

2002 - Nikoloz Tskitishvili ( Denver )

2003 - Dwyane Wade ( Miami )

2004 - Devin Harris ( Dallas )

2005 - Raymond Felton ( Charlotte )

2002 - Shelden Williams ( Atlanta )

The list is impressive, and intriguing at the same time. You have at least have 4 future HOF players here, barring injury ( Garnett, Carter, Allen, and Wade )

You have 3 guys . . ( who I don't want to call straight up "busts", although Skita is definitely a bust ) . . that definitely underachieved and didn't reach expectations.

But for the most part, this list is full of guys who may not have begin their career as a starter, but developed into a solid starter that made significant contributions to their team by year 2.

Some on this board believe that you can get franchise changing players with the 5th pick. Well, in this sample, that's about 25 - 30% right.

But when you look at that list, all of the "star" players on this list got a chance to be "the man" for their respective teams, by year 2 . . with the rest going on to become dependable starters.

So which is it guys?

Is Shelden closer to Juwan Howard and LaPhonzo Ellis . . . or is he closer to Skita and Tony Battie?

• Moderators

I seriously doubt that Vince Carter or Ray Allen will get in the Hall of Fame if the current standards are applied to players. By way of reference, Mitch Richmond isn't getting anywhere near the Hall of Fame and he is much higher on basketballreference's HOF index than either Vince or Ray.

135 is considered the minimum cutoff for the Hall of Fame, although it is far from a hard and fast rule:

Richmond 118 HOF index

http://www.basketballreference.com/leaders/leadershof.htm

Allen 108 HOF index

http://www.basketballreference.com/players...ilkid=ALLENRA02

Carter 104

http://www.basketballreference.com/players...ilkid=CARTEVI01

By way of reference, Nique had a 142 rating and was not a first ballot guy for the bball HOF. It is a hard standard to meet.

Wade is well on his way but has a very long way to go. I do think Garnett is a given.

Bear in mind Artis Gilmore, Spencer Haywood, Bernard King, Adreian Dantley, Dennis Johnson, Kevin Johnson, etc. are not in the Hall of Fame.

• Moderators

Quote:

Wow! No Bernard King. WTF?

I didn't know so much importance was placed on the index.

Where does Smitty rank?

The index isn't used by the HOF as far as I know. This is an index that gives points for performance, team success, MVP awards, all-star appearances, all-nba appearances, etc. and gives a very good predictor of who is in and who is out for the HOF.