Hawks Should not be Hasty with Terry

jaywalker72

For two seasons, it has played out like a cliffhanger and with all the discussion of a whodunit.

Can Jason Terry play point guard?

Jason Walker looks at the developing situation of the much discussed Hawks guard, and the recent implications of the Peter Vecsey written trade rumors in the New York Post.

Read the entire article:

http://hawks.realgm.com/index.php

1. There's more to being a point guard than just getting assists. He's upped his assists numbers this season, but he still falls short when it comes to initiating the offense. Sometimes, the point guard has to take it upon himself to make the players around him better, and Jason Terry doesn't have the instinct to do that.

2. JT can play PG, if he has another ball handler in the backcourt with him that can initiate the offense. I still contend that JT is every bit as good as Mike Bibby. The difference is that Chris Webber is a player that makes the guys around him better where Shareef Abdur-Rahim refuses to take that type of leadership upon himself. The problem with finding another ball handler is that you have to find one with size. The Hawks have been trying for 3 years to no avail.

3. Defensively, he's lost on the court, IMO. It's one thing to let Baron Davis score 20+ points on you. It's another thing when you let a journeyman like Chauncy Billups score 20+ points on you. Why was he a great defender in college but a poor defender in the pros?

1. I agree with you here, but it's puzzling why he was able to do well last year (Kukoc was out), with DerMarr and Ira in the lineup with Reef and Nazr....

2. Finding a SG that can take the pressure off of Terry would be helpful, and it does seem like the Hawks are full of followers at times...

3. He stands straight up too often, as I noted in an article a few days ago after the Heat game. He gets caught trying to poke the ball away instead of getting down and moving his feet to stop dribble penetration.

I thought he did that better against DET, but got caught behind screens, enabling Billups to go around the screens to shoot the 3's. Reef should have helped him out by stepping out, but that's another issue altogether...

They've got Gilber Arenas at PG, who is averaging around 16 points and 6 assists per game. Like Terry, Arenas was more of a shooting guard in college. Well, in fact, Arenas WAS a shooting guard in college. His size (6-2) necessitated the move to PG in the pros.

Well, the Warriors also have a shooting guard who is really a bad pairing with Arenas in the back court. Jason Richardson ahs loads of potential, but his main weakness is his ball handling ability. Teams can put the crunch on Arenas and force him to make some bad decisions, a la Terry. In the same sense, Eric Mussleman has used Earl Boykins as his point guard for large stretches during the game. Terry Stotts has used Mike Wilks.

• Admin

1. I don't think he did any better last year. I think it's all about perception. We were hungry for a point guard and he was getting more assists, that made us happy. He was making better passes than he did early in the season. But it was far from what I would call being a playmaker.

2. This is why I feel he should be the one we look at moving. We've shopped for this SG for two years and haven't found him. There just aren't many of those players in the league that we can get our hands on.

3. you nailed this one right on. He over extends himself too much going for simple steals and allows himself to mauled by 2nd rate players. The problem here is that he's had 3 years to stop doing it and he hasn't done it yet. People change but history is one [censored] of a teacher....

I like JT as much as the next guy. I think he's great for the team and the city from a personal standpoint. But at this point I've put my personal like for his personality and attitude aside and focused on what the best, most logical solution for this team is. We can either continue the eternal quest for a SG that can do all the things JT can't or we can make trades to get one and I thikn we are going to have to move JT to get one.

The stat lines of the two players are very similar, but I think Arenas is a better defender than Terry.

What's going to happen out there? Arenas is free at the end of the season, right? Will you guys resign him and maybe look to deal Jason Richardson? Dunleavy may not be ready yet, but he's a better fit for the backcourt with Arenas than Richardson is, IMO.

With Atlanta, we could make it work with Terry if we could get that ball handling shooting guard, although we will still give up a lot defensively. Problem is, where do we get that player? Atlanta currently would give up the 8th pick to Milwaukee and get the 27th pick from Indiana. The two players in college that would fit with Terry in the back court, Dwayne Wade from Marquette and Reece Gaines from Louisville, will likely not be available at 27. I just don't see us getting much help with that pick right now. That pick would probably do us better in a trade.

Either Babcock is liying or expect Kenny Anderson

to become a Hawk.He's looking to add players with

out making the Hawks future cap space worse...I

smell a Kenny Anderson trade brewing....

• Admin

Babcock has never and will never say "yes we are shopping someone". Especially someone they billed as the leader of the franchise.

I don't doubt that they are first looking to aquire a SG that can allow JT to remain. But logic and the last two years of searching for that play says it's probably not going to happen.

• Premium Member

DEKE...

How many times did Babs say " we plan to build our team around Dikembe" before he traded him away? Babcock denied every Vescey rumor there was about trading Deke. Vescey said that we would trade him for Camby/Spree at first.. But the point is that Vecsey knew that Deke was on the table.

Talk bad about Vecsey... however, 78% of the time, he's on the money when it comes to moves the Hawks are about to make. So Babcock may give the wink and grin about JT... However, I don't believe that Babs is not taking offers.

Actually, a poster on a GS board just this morning suggested trading Richardson for Terry. Don't hold your breath waiting from Warriors management to follow up on that suggestion, though. smile.gif

Yes, Arenas is a free agent this summer, and it will be a huge, huge setback if GS loses him. The most GS can offer is the $4.5M exception, & the scary thing is that his value may be higher than that as he convinces people that he can make the transition to PG. Denver's already made clear that they're going to pursue him.

I made the same point you did about Richardson on a GS board a few weeks ago -- he and Arenas are not especially compatible as a backcourt (which is ironic, since they're extremely good friends). Especially with Jamison at SF, there's just not enough ballhandling among the perimeter starters.

Hence the drafting of Dunleavy, even if that meant eventually moving Jamison to PF (which he can play in a small lineup, but his better full-time position is SF). But that plan's been delayed not just by Dunleavy needing time to adjust to the league but by Troy Murphy surprising everyone by showing that he could be a legitimate starter at PF.

Given Richardson's up-and-down play as teams have started focusing more on him defensively, I wouldn't be stunned if Dunleavy wound up at SG, as you suggest -- he's already been getting time there. But the athleticism discrepancy might prevent that from being a full-time solution, either. And I don't think they're going to give up on Richardson unless he's still struggling next year (or a really good trade offer comes along).

The "big guard who can run the offense" is definitely a Holy Grail in the NBA -- it's why Larry Hughes could have a horrific second 1/2 of the season last year and still get the $4.5M exception as a free agent. If one becomes available, the Hawks won't be the only ones pursuing him (the Rockets might want to swap Cuttino Mobley for him, too).

why not put terry at sg where he would dominate...just get the tall pg we were talked about getting in the first place..

i'm not sure where that leaves dickau but he's still a rookie that needs to work on his game...bring in crawford and fizer for big dog maybe..