• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

HOOPSWORLD gives JJ some love

Plastic Man

Last Updated: Oct 31st, 2006 - 04:51:39

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hawks: Not Your Average Joe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Preetom Bhattacharya

for HOOPSWORLD.com

Oct 31, 2006, 04:49

It's hard to explain, but when the Hawks committed $70 million to Joe Johnson, they expected a lot more than 20.2 points, 6.5 assists, and 4.1 rebounds per game.

Insane, right? How could a franchise most look towards and laugh at want anything more than the stellar production Johnson was providing? Aren't those the numbers expected from him?

Well, they were, so the hyperbolic, rhetorical questions end here.

But what the franchise really needed from Joe was beyond statistics.

They needed a leader, a face for a franchise that hadn't seen a winning record in six years, when Steve Smith, Mookie Blaylock, and Dikembe Mutombo donned the red and white.

Joe Johnson has delivered, exhibiting the ideal characteristics any club would ask of their leading player.

"I try to lead by example," Johnson told Basketball News Services. "I'm trying to be more vocal now, making sure guys are in the right spot more than before."

The example Johnson has set has certainly been one worth following. Battling through a long NBA season, Johnson revealed tremendous work ethic and desire, starting in all 82 games for an average of just over 40 minutes a game. In that time span, every player experiences wear on their body, yet Johnson suited up every game, reflecting his tremendous love for the game. He didn't mail the season even though the Hawks were eliminated from contention seemingly in January.

"I'm going to take on a bigger role as far as preparing my teammates night in and night out for every game because I think they look up to me as a leader and I've got to come in night in and night out and act like it." Johnson said. "I'm on the rise right now. This year is going to be a big year, not only for myself, but for the Hawks as well and I'm going to try to lead us down victory road."

Johnson has showed a winners attitude, working on his game and improving his defense and his free-throw shooting numbers over his last season with Phoenix, all while keeping his teammates involved and increasing his assists totals. He learned this winners mentality with successful teams in Phoenix, where he had the ball in his hands a lot less. Because of his increased role in Atlanta, his turnover numbers increased, but he got the job done for a team that didn't have a true point guard, relegating most of the duties to him.

Speedy Claxton has joined the team as the team's starting point guard now, so Johnson's assist numbers will undoubtedly go down, but his three-point shooting should get better as team's won't be able to crowd him as easily as before.

When asked about what he gained from his experience with Team USA in the summer, Johnson responded candidly, saying "Wisdom. It was a great experience for me," His willingness to learn on display, Johnson said "I learned a lot and met a lot of new people but most of all, being around those guys helped me out more than anything. Just to see how they go about, how they approach the game, what they like to do and don't like to do on the court."

Perhaps, though, Johnson's leadership isn't given justice on the court. The Hawks needed to reconnect with their fanbase, giving them a player that they can actually like, and Johnson has been the charming guy to make it happen. Last week, at a team charity event with Habitat for Humanity, Johnson told reporters "Pass the nails and pass the [wooden] boards, that's my motto." He continued, "seriously, though, when you do something like this it puts what we do in a better perspective. I've done a lot of things in my life, but I've never had actually helped build a house. We're glad to help because it's for a good cause."

How many superstars do you know that join in on these kinds of team activities? Let alone players that show up and have a big smile on their face to make the event enjoyable for everyone? Most teams in the league have events such as these, with players finding excuses to not show up, yet Johnson was there front and center with his teammates.

No, Joe Johnson is not your average Joe by any means.

While Josh Smith provides the highlights for the "Highlight Factory" and Marvin and Shelden Williams develop in the paint, Johnson will be the consistent factor that gives the Hawks reasons to hope for success.

He's carrying the weight of an entire organization on his shoulders.

Doing so with class and a sparkle in his smile, Joe Johnson has quickly become one of the guys in the NBA you can't help but root for.

• Premium Member

This is an excellent article. It makes me even more excited that we managed to get Joe on our team. He is going to bring us back to respectability this year with his play, attitude, and newfound leadership.

Just waiting for tomorrow night. We will start showing the world who we are.