BK: There will be NO AI in ATL

TexasPete

At the season ticket town hall meeting tonight BK said he called Philly to see what they might want for AI. He said the price was several of their best young players. He said that with the bags AI carries it wasn't going to happen. But he did make the call. He said that Philly wanted their very best young talent and the Hawks were moving on. He said also that the Hawks would be the 76ers and vice versa if he made the deal.

The town hall meeting was interesting. He also said Chill would be back next week, that he was practicing now and looking better. That was good news. He also said the season was looked at in 25 game increments and that this 25 game segment was better than he thought it would be due to the injuries. He doesn't know how good we are because we haven't had the whole team yet.

• Admin

Thats good because I didn't want AI here anyway. I know the contributions he brings but at 31 already and the banging he has taken over the years. I will not be surprised to see a sharp decline in the next couple years.

Plus we are close to being a really competitive team. We just need the right piece. With the way Marvin is starting to play, he might actually be that piece.

Let me preface by saying that I would not want AI at the expense of "several" of our young players, or even a couple for that matter. Still, after this trade Iverson is going to go on one hell of a tirade and could quite possibly end up being in the running for league MVP. He's going to have something to prove, and he will do it.

I honestly can't see Iverson in another jersey. It'll look SO odd. Still, it's too bad the Nets wouldn't be up for trading Carter to Philly for him. A Kidd/Iverson backcourt would be insane...

There was a divided opinion even with the fans in the room. Some thought it foolish we didn't try harder and others thought of AI as a cancer who should be avoided. Billy was pretty adamant that there was no chance of AI coming because of the price tag. Billy was a very nice guy but I can see how people think he is a little arrogant. He doesn't intend to be its just the tone he talks with and he is extremely sure of his own decisions although a question about Diaw irritated him a bit. He just doesn't have the PR skill down, he isn't trying to be gruff it just is his style. I agree that we shouldn't mortgaged the future for a player almost ready for a serious decline.

Billy also mentioned AI's defense and his habits off the court.

I asked why Solomon doesn't play much. He said that when the year started they were not planning on playing him at all. They wanted him to just improve by playing in practice but when injuries happened and he got a chance he did well. So, he is getting more minutes than he was supposed to. He said SJ really needs to hit the weight room but his length (he said again he loves length) would be important to his development. Personally, I think he looks better than LO and needs to get more time.

Philly wants cap relief, young players and picks.

We could offer

(1) Lue + Wright for cap relief

(2) (Sheldon OR Childress) and Salim as young players

(3) the pick we got from Indiana

Solomon Jones has already shown he can atleast play just as well as Wright and we don't need any more young players from the draft. I hate to part with Sheldon or Childress, but Iverson puts up good assist numbers and he would help our stagnant offense. He is also a leading scorer in the league and plays hard on defense.

I don't see Philly getting a better deal than that.

Quote:

At the season ticket town hall meeting tonight BK said he called Philly to see what they might want for AI. He said the price was several of their best young players. He said that with the bags AI carries it wasn't going to happen. But he did make the call. He said that Philly wanted their very best young talent and the Hawks were moving on. He said also that the Hawks would be the 76ers and vice versa if he made the deal.

The town hall meeting was interesting. He also said Chill would be back next week, that he was practicing now and looking better. That was good news. He also said the season was looked at in 25 game increments and that this 25 game segment was better than he thought it would be due to the injuries. He doesn't know how good we are because we haven't had the whole team yet.

He stills doesn't realize he put together a bottom feeder team? frown.gif