• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Wednesday Insider

Searching for No. 2

by Chad Ford

Send an Email to Chad Ford

Also Below: One is the loneliest number for TD | Pistons know the score | Can the NBDL save Vince Carter and the Raptors? | Are the Cavs' veterans staging a revolt? | Peep Show

Milwaukee had the Big Three. Dallas has the Bigger Three.

The Kings have 1-10. The Blazers have the 10 most wanted.

The Lakers have the dynamic duo. The Celtics have the terrible two. The Jazz still have Stockton to Malone.

Did we mention that even the lowly Bulls and Cavs have some semblance of a scoring duo?

Even Dr. Evil has a friggin No. 2 and a Mini-Me.

But for the Spurs, Pistons and Raptors, the search for the elusive second scorer seems to be all that is keeping them from greatness ...

One is the loneliest number for TD

Tuesday night's 108-100 overtime victory over the Suns was another metaphor for the Spurs' up-and-down season. The Spurs needed a Herculean 38-point, 16-rebound, nine-assist and four-block performance from the reigning MVP to squeak past the upstart Suns.

Kobe can complain about Shaq's bum toe. Tracy McGrady can cry over Grant Hill's aching ankle all he wants. But no one in the NBA is lonelier than Tim Duncan.

Tim Duncan

Forward-Center

San Antonio Spurs

2002-2003 SEASON STATISTICS

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%

38 23.2 12.6 3.8 .491 .683

When his supporting cast is on, the Spurs have just enough juice to survive. When it's not ... the Spurs should just hit the showers at halftime. In their 14 losses this season, Duncan is averaging three more points per game than in the team's 23 wins. He's second in the league in triple doubles. And he leads the league in 25-point, 15-rebound performances with eight.

He tries to do it all, but coach Gregg Popovich knows that sooner or later, if the Spurs are going to compete for another championship, someone will have to step up give Duncan a hand.

Tony Parker

Point Guard

San Antonio Spurs

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%

38 14.3 2.6 4.9 .431 .728

The Spurs have been crossing their fingers for over a year that they've already found him. Tony Parker wowed the NBA last season with his slick moves, French accent and his way with women. But too many nights the Spurs need a restraining order to keep Popovich from strangling him. Tuesday night, Parker missed 15 of the 18 shots he took, got in an animated spat with his coach on the sidelines when Popovich told him to slow the team down, missed two free throws in the waning seconds of regulation, and got lit up by Stephon Marbury.

Not his best performance.

The Spurs are trying to be patient. Parker is improving. He's reining in his desire to play open court basketball. He's disciplining himself to stick to Popovich's half-court, everything-runs-through-the-MVP system. Both sides have their complaints. But Popovich and Parker both know that they have to make it work. If they don't, their meal ticket may hop on the first train to Orlando this summer, leaving the Alamo in ashes.

"The style we play demands that Tony play well," Steve Kerr told the San Antonio Express News. "We're pretty predictable and everybody knows we're going to throw it into Tim. Tony is the guy who can really change the flow of the game by pushing it in transition and getting some easy baskets. If we get bogged down in the halfcourt game the entire time and we're just walking the ball up the floor, we're going to have nights where it's tough to score. So that's why, to me, Tony is the X-factor."

This summer, the Spurs will hit the free-agent market with roughly $12 million jingling in their pockets. While all the talk has centered on Jason Kidd, sources inside the Spurs think it's a long shot. For one, no one is convinced Kidd is bolting New Jersey. The Nets can offer him more money, and usually, despite all of the rhetoric in the summer, the team with the fattest wallet wins.

Second, as much as Kidd has pined to play with Duncan, he isn't too thrilled to play for Pop. As Parker will be the first to attest, point guards in Popovich's system aren't given much freedom. The Spurs essentially run one play. Give it to Duncan and pray for rain. Kidd, who has been given free reign in New Jersey, isn't really looking for golden plated shackles this summer.

Finally, the Spurs wonder whether they'd be better off addressing a more pressing need. They believe with time, and proper seasoning, Parker has the potential to be an all-star.

"He's got that quality that all great point guards have to have," Kerr said. "He's cocky. He knows he's talented and he believes in his talent. He doesn't think there's anybody out there that can stay with him. That's a great quality to have, especially as a point guard. You have to believe in yourself. That's why I think he's going to be really special."

It's tough to say the same thing about Bruce Bowen and Stephen Jackson. And let's not forget the Methuselah brothers -- David Robinson and Kevin Willis -- manning the middle in San Antonio. Right now, the Spurs are praying that their respirators don't fail before the season ends.

Will that prompt the Spurs to start thinking trade this season, before the Feb. 20th deadline expires? Don't count on it. The Spurs knew they wouldn't be an elite team this season. They've had Summer 2003 circled on their calenders for the last two years. Even if Kidd is beyond their reach, the Spurs think they're better off taking their cap room and letting Duncan help mold this team for the future.

What the Spurs need is a dynamic, athletic small forward with a deft shooting touch (think Lamar Odom) and a young center to watch TD's back. (Michael Olowokandi gets all the pub, but he may be tired of playing second or third fiddle; Brad Miller may be a more realistic target.) The big question is how the Spurs will lure top-flight free agents to sleepy San Antonio.

Once again, they'll be calling on Duncan to do the heavy lifting. Few NBA players get the luxury of playing with a dominant big man. Ask Kobe (or better yet Penny Hardaway) how much easier the game becomes when the big guy is getting double- and triple-teams every night. If the Spurs can get Parker and rookie Emanuel Ginobili to continue to progress, they'll have a pretty compelling pitch. A quick, exciting backcourt. The league's MVP filling the paint. A hard-working, blue-collar bench. And two starting spots away from elite status.

Duncan scores, rebounds, controls OT in win

Johnny Ludden / San Antonio Express-News

Even a puzzled Parker doesn't hinder Spurs

Ken Rodriguez / San Antonio Express-News

Birth of a trusty sidekick

Johnny Ludden / San Antonio Express-News

Pistons know the score

At least the Spurs have Tim Duncan. Rick Carlisle has Richard Hamilton. No offense to Rip, but he's no Tim Duncan.

Richard Hamilton

Guard-Forward

Detroit Pistons

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%

37 20.7 3.6 3.1 .445 .821

Take away Hamilton's 20.7 ppg and you'll have to go all the way down to Uncle Cliffy, Cliff Robinson (12.9 ppg) to find the Pistons' second leading scorer. Unlike Duncan, Hamilton can't do it all. He's a talented scorer, but not a dominant one. He has only posted two 30-point games this season. He's a solid ball handler and a decent rebounder, but he has yet to log a double-double.

The Pistons might be the most tenacious defensive team in the NBA, but someone besides Hamilton has to put it in the basket, don't they? It shouldn't come as any surprise that the Pistons are currently ranked 26th in the league in scoring. A loss to the lowly Heat on Tuesday night pinpointed the Pistons' woes.

"I guess the decisive thing, if you look at the whole game, is they had 38 points in the paint and we had 22," coach Rick Carlisle told the Detroit Free Press. "They dictated tempo for most of the game. It was unfortunate, because we were in a position at halftime to take control, but they dictated play."

"We shoot 33 percent, and they shoot 49," added Hamilton. "That makes it tough right there."

The problem Hamilton has encountered is that without any low-post offense to speak of, the team's shooters are finding it tough to get open shots. The team also ranks last in the league in rebounding, meaning opponents are getting extra chances.

Chauncey Billups

Point Guard

Detroit Pistons

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%

30 12.8 3.1 3.4 .432 .852

Still, there is hope in Detroit. Chauncey Billups is rebounding from a slow start and is starting to terrorize teams on offense. Billups averaged just 8.3 ppg in the month of November. In January, he's averaging 20 ppg. Why the big difference? Pistons GM Joe Dumars told Insider that Billups was trying to hard to be a "true point." "I finally sat down with Chauncey and said, 'What are you doing man? Look at our team. We need you to score. C'mon now.' "

Billups has heeded Dumars' advice, and when he does, the Pistons can be dangerous. Billups thinks it's a plus, not a minus, that the team doesn't have a dominant scorer. "That's the beauty of this team -- on any night, somebody can just blow up," Billups said. "Some nights it's been Cliff, or Corliss, Chucky, myself; Rip always has good nights. I think that's how we keep so many teams off balance -- it's because you play against Philly and you want to lock in on A.I. (Allen Iverson), and any other team, you lock into one or two guys. Our team, you just have to play everybody honest."

While it's working for the Pistons now, Dumars knows it has to change. The team isn't inclined to make any moves before the trade deadline, but they'll have a major chip in the game this summer. The Pistons own the Grizzlies' first-round pick this summer (as long as it's not No. 1 overall). Given the Grizzlies record, chances are it will be near the top of the lottery. Dumars hopes to parlay that pick into an offensive minded big man to play in the post alongside Ben Wallace.

With Billups and Hamilton firmly entrenched in the backcourt, rookie Tayshaun Prince looking like he could develop into something special at the three and Wallace terrorizing teams in the paint, the Pistons look like they're one piece away from returning to glory.

Pistons blow shot at 6th straight road win

Perry Farrell / Detroit Free Press

Variety of scorers baffles opponents

Helene St. James / Detroit Free-Press

Can the NBDL save Vince Carter and the Raptors?

By now, you've heard the rap sheet.

Vince Carter has no toughness. Vince Carter has no guts. Vince Carter has no heart.

Vince Carter

Shooting Guard

Toronto Raptors

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%

10 19.2 3.7 2.6 .418 .722

How about, Vince Carter has no teammates?

That's how former teammate, Charles Oakley, sees the Raptors' dilemma.

"When I look at this Raptors team and this Raptors management team there is no one to help Vince, no one to push him," Oakley told the Toronto Sun. "I think Vince doesn't trust these people. He needs people who are strong, who are going to hold the ground while Vince does his thing. . . They don't have enough leaders and veterans for Vince to lean on."

The Raptors may not like what Oakley has to say, but there's a lot of truth lurking inside there.

The team's second-leading scorer is Alvin Williams, a former second-round pick who has never averaged more than 11.8 ppg in a season. The team's third-leading scorer is Voshon Lenard, another former second-round journeyman who was out of job until just days before the season started. The team's latest stud, Rafer Alston, was playing in the NBDL last week.

We could go on. Antonio Davis, another second-round pick, is limping through games and shooting a career-low 37 percent from the field. Jelani McCoy, the team's starting power forward, another second-round pick, is averaging career highs of 6.8 ppg and 6.4 rpg. In fact, the Raptors have one of the weakest rosters in the NBA when it comes to lottery picks.

Morris Peterson

Small Forward

Toronto Raptors

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%

38 14.9 4.8 2.1 .379 .812

Currently, the team has four former lottery picks on its roster -- Carter, Lindsey Hunter, Lamond Murray and Eric Montross. Given that both Murray and Montross have been injured all season and Hunter is a major disappointment, for all intents and purposes, the Raptors have one.

So forgive Vince if he gets a little disturbed when people start pointing the finger his way. Kobe has Shaq. Pierce has Walker. Finley has Nowitzki. Carter has Mo Peterson. Until the Raptors get that fixed, expect them to stay grounded.

Oakley says Carter needs better teammates

Frank Zicarelli / Toronto Sun

Eight is just great

Jennifer Quinn / Toronto Star

Vince Carter, you there?

Steve Aschburner / Minneapolis Star-Tribune

Are the Cavs' veterans staging a revolt?

Cavs veterans Bimbo Coles and Tyrone Hill have been benched to make way for the future. Neither is very happy about it.

"Who would be happy?" Hill told the Cleveland Plain Dealer. "I've done everything [the organization] has wanted me to do since training camp. If they want to put me on the bench, that's their choice. I'm not a young guy anymore, and I wish they'd take that into consideration."

Tyrone Hill

Power Forward

Cleveland Cavaliers

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%

29 6.8 9.1 1.0 .429 .733

Coach John Lucas divided players into two teams -- the younger players against the veterans, for practice on Tuesday. The practice turned nasty, to say the least.

"It was spirited because I've got guys mad at me because they're not playing," Lucas said of Coles, Hill and Yogi Stewart. "They're making it tough on me because they're playing hard in practice and they're giving me all they have. It has the tension high around me because guys want to play. I have to fight every day in practice because it's my fault [they're not playing]." Lucas received a mandate from GM Jim Paxson to start giving young players like DeSagana Diop, Chris Mihm, Carlos Boozer and Smush Parker more minutes. They've come at the expense of Hill, Coles and Stewart. Hill, who becomes an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season, can't believe the team is already throwing in the towel on the season. Obviously, he didn't see LeBron James drop 50 on the competition Tuesday night.

"If [the organization] thinks DeSagana Diop, Carlos Boozer and Smush Parker are the future of the team, then there's nothing me or Bimbo can do about that but practice and work hard until our name is called," Hill said. "To throw a season away and play your young guys is something we [bimbo and I] can't do anything about."

Vets take out frustrations in practice

Branson Wright / Cleveland Plain Dealer

Peep Show

Sonics: The trade rumors have not affected Sonics point guard Gary Payton. "I'm going to keep on doing what I'm doing," he told the Seattle Times. "Trust me. That other stuff, that's not bothering me." Center Calvin Booth, who has also been mentioned in trade rumors, would probably welcome a change. "I look forward to [playing], whether it be in Seattle or somewhere else," Booth said. "Wherever I can play, it doesn't matter to me."

Blazers: Another week, another Blazers controversy. Damon Stoudamire, who is buried at the end of the bench right now, scoffed at accusations that he refused to go into Monday's game when coach Maurice Cheeks asked him during the second half. "I don't know why people want to make a big deal out of something that was nothing," Stoudamire told the Oregonian. "It's just crazy. Maurice asked me to go in, and I said, 'No, let those guys play.' That's all it was. I'm a veteran and I know I can play. I don't need to go in against Cleveland when we're beating 'em by 30. Let the young guys play." Talk about a rough economy. $13 million a year can't even buy a team garbage minutes these days.

Jazz: Coach Jerry Sloan said that his team doesn't always run the plays he calls, and the Jazz offense is suffering as a result. "I may be a little bit crazy about some of these things," Sloan said of his complaints after Sunday's loss in Phoenix -- that his team "has 12 coaches out there right now" -- but "you'll never criticize me for [not] wanting to win."

Wizards: Jerry Stackhouse, will miss "at least a week," coach Doug Collins said Tuesday night, leaving open the possibility that Stackhouse, who suffers from a pulled left groin, may not be back before the team's Jan. 22 game at New Orleans. "He'll probably miss this whole [four-game] homestand," Collins told the Washington Post. "I know Jerry would like to play tonight, but he can't. His leg is really swollen. It's a gradual thing. I don't think it's something that was a one-shot deal. From what I understand, it just got progressively worse as time went on."

Grizzlies: Wesley Person is on the verge of returning from an injury (fractured right finger on his right hand) that forced him to sit out the past three weeks. Person practiced Tuesday afternoon and could come off the injured list in time to play tonight against the Trail Blazers. Person will make the decision close to game time. Either way, the bone has healed. He's cleared to play and eager. "I'm close," Person told the Memphis Commercial Appeal. "I just want to get a practice in and then see how it reacts after guarding guys. I want to see if it swells up. I don't want to play one game and it gets stiff and I'm back out."

Magic: Now that second-year forward Steven Hunter is healthy, he says he's ready to be that low-post presence the Magic are in desperate need of. Hunter said his time on the bench, rehabing a torn ACL, taught him a lot. "I learned a lot," Hunter told the Orlando Sentinel. "I learned my role on the team. This team sorely lacks a down-low defensive presence. I want to come in and be that presence. I want to come in and be that guy at the back of the line. No easy shots, no easy lay-ups. I'm going to be that defensive stopper for the team. The injury, it definitely made me work harder. It definitely made me appreciate the game more. I am definitely going to be more hungry. I'm going to be more aggressive this year."

Mavs: French star Antoine Rigaudeau will officially become a member of the Mavericks today and could possibly be in the lineup for Sunday's game in Seattle. Rigaudeau cleared the final hurdle of his buyout with his Italian League team, Virtus Bologna, on Tuesday, then boarded a plane for Dallas. He is scheduled to arrive today, take a physical and sign a three-year contract for about $5 million, the Fort Worth Star Telegram reported. The third year is at the Mavericks' option. So exactly when will he play? "He's got to clear basketball customs," coach Don Nelson said. "We also want to acclimate him with our off-the-court stuff and our on-the-court stuff that we need to get through and process."

Payton mind on winning, unfazed by rumors

Percy Allen / Seattle Times

Basketball's master builder

Geoffrey C. Arnold / The Oregonian

Sloan to Players: Coaching Job Is Taken

Phil Miller / Salt Lake Tribune

Ailing Stackhouse Is Out at Least a Week

Steve Wyche / Washington Post

Person eager to return

Ronald Tillery / Memphis Commercial Appeal

Hunter aims to answer Magic's call

Jerry Brewer / Orlando Sentinel