• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

insider request: Braves trade

gsuteke

Here is the part that relates to the Braves:

"Braves building a strong bullpenposted: Thursday, January 18, 2007 | Feedback | Print Entry

Some of the Braves who shared in the division titles of the 1990s and 2000s have wondered privately how differently their postseasons might have gone if their bullpens had been better, deeper. Atlanta has always had the exceptional starting pitching and usually had a decent closer, from the pre-Jim Leyritz Mark Wohlers to the seasons when John Smoltz filled that role. But while the Blue Jays and Yankees and other great teams of the era often had power middle relievers like Duane Ward, Jeff Nelson and Mike Stanton, the Braves always seemed thin in the pen.

That will not be the case in 2007, now that general manager John Schuerholz has put together one of the best bullpens in his time with Atlanta; he landed Pittsburgh left-hander Mike Gonzalez yesterday, for first baseman Adam LaRoche.

The Atlanta bullpen does not appear to be as strong as that of the Mets, but the Braves' staff is balanced, with Gonzalez and Rafael Soriano lined up in front of Bob Wickman, and a rotation of Smoltz, Chuck James, Tim Hudson, Kyle Davies and the recovering Mike Hampton. The Braves could reclaim the NL East if Hudson, Hampton, Smoltz, et al, stay healthy.

Last year, the Braves' relievers ranked 25th among 30 teams in strikeouts per nine innings, and 25th in WHIP. Now the Braves have added two big-time power relievers in Gonzalez and Soriano -- pitchers who will miss bats, pitchers who can overpower even very good hitters. Last year, Gonzalez struck out 64 in 54 innings, but even more impressive was the fact that even when he allowed hits, nobody really did any damage against him: He surrendered six doubles and only one homer, and opponents mustered a meager .259 slugging percentage.

Soriano punched out 65 hitters in 60 innings, and similarly, opposing batters really didn't generate that much against him, batting .204, and a .333 slugging percentage. Manager Bobby Cox has the tools to play matchup against anybody in the seventh and eighth innings now: Right-handers batted only .179 against the right-handed Soriano last season, and left-handers hit only .163 against Gonzalez.

And if Wickman -- who turns 38 in a couple of weeks -- breaks down or stops getting outs in the ninth inning, Cox now has two strong candidates to take over.

The Braves may not be able to precisely replicate the offense that LaRoche gave them last season, but getting offense out of first base is probably one of the easiest challenges for a general manager, and they'll get somebody decent. David O'Brien writes here that Scott Thorman will be the Atlanta first baseman.

This is a great trade for the Braves. And a very good trade for the Pirates, who desperately needed a consistent left-handed threat for the middle of their lineup more than they needed a closer at this stage of their development. There is still every reason to think that opposing teams will continue to pitch around young slugger Jason Bay, but LaRoche's presence creates some depth in the lineup. Pittsburgh should get solid production out of its 3-4-5 combination of Freddy Sanchez, LaRoche and Bay.

Salomon Torres likely will be the Pittsburgh closer.

wow, I dont believe I would have admitted that my friend. Laroche sealed his fate last season. you knew right then that he would be traded. I think this was a great deal for both teams. the braves now have the best bullpen they have ever had. they ahve shortened game s to 6 innings now. With aging starters and injury plagues starters this was a must. going to need kelly johnson and thorman to really step it up offensivley to replace giles and laroche but this team looks far better than what we had last year.

I just read that the braves have also signed craig wilson. Very nice sign. he has had some pretty good yrs. not an allstar player but will be a very nice addition. I am actually excited about this team....too bad I still cant watch them. I said last season that unitl the braves were sold to someone who cares about winning not just about receits, I would not watch them or attend any games. I am so furious that we have to sit by and watch as 2 of the best minds in baseball have to be handcuffed by aol. Damn you AOL, damn you.