• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

HawkSquawk Pick-Up Game?

ATL_BALLER

Quote:

You tend to push yourself harder for spurts rather than pace yourself.

True, and that poses a problem for me when i haven't played in a long time. I go to the court intending not to push myself too hard but then once i get out there that plan goes out the window. I'll play too long which i can do because of running but then the next few days i am trashed.

It's funny how you do that to your body and you respond differently to game settings vs. anything else. We have games every Monday and Thursday. Our games consist of 2-20 minute halves. We practice on Sunday afternoons for about 2 hours. I can play full court with hardly any breaks in practice for 1 hour straight, but get in a game and get tired after 6 minutes or so. It has alot to game situations being a different level than practice.

I'm not very tall, but play PF most of the time cause' I will mix it up and bang down low with the big boys. Our team is huge compared to others, but I still do pretty good in practice, but I'm not anything special in the games. Here's a list of some of the sizes of our guys.

6-7 270lbs.

6-6 210lbs.

6-4 190lbs.

6-3 190lbs.

6-0 235lbs (that's me)

6-5 240lbs.

6-3 250lbs.

We've definitely got some size, but our guard play has been killing us.

Quote:

Quote:

You tend to push yourself harder for spurts rather than pace yourself.

True, and that poses a problem for me when i haven't played in a long time. I go to the court intending not to push myself too hard but then once i get out there that plan goes out the window. I'll play too long which i can do because of running but then the next few days i am trashed.

You guys are nuts. I last exercised in, hmm, 2001. If this pick-up game materializes (it has about the same chance as the Hawksquawkers Game IMO) I'll bring some corndogs though.

Sign me up as well, but the last time I played I blew out my knee in Ecuador. I think its healed, at least enough to mtn and road bike. B-balling would be a good test. If I blow it again, I can always go under the knife...

By the by I'm 5'7" but I play in the power position. I can rebound and hit free throws. Guys hate playing me in horse because I hit the weird shots but not the gimmies.

I'm in. I'm 5'7". I would like to think that I'm a little more but a squawk reader and buddy I play ball with tells me I'm like Chris Childs. lol! (I hit big shots and can only work in an offense) I'm pretty sure that's a dis. But an apt one. I can shoot the three with confidence, pass, hustle for loose balls, and play great team defense. I am severely lacking in the "handles" area!

We could play at the Run n' Shoot or Center Court on Memorial Dive. I could think of a few more places but those are the first two that come to mind. I also know a quiet, really nice Gym with Glass backs and breakaway rims. It's one long court with two short courts running across. It's off of interstate 20 going east of Atlanta. Maybe a thirty minute drive from Midtown.

I'm in..I am 45 now but have played about 10,000 games in my life. Scored 18 a game my last year in HS and was on the scout team at Auburn one year with Barkley, Person, Earl Hayes, etc, under Sonny Smith. I finally figured out I had no shot to actually dress so I gave it up. But I played pickup with Barkley and Person all the time. Person was a major AHOLE...Charles is very cool, at least he was then.

I can still ball a little. Just let me know the time and place. I want to put a 30 footer right in Diesels mug.

Quote:

I wonder how many here can actually play.

I haven't played in a year with injuries and my have to hang up the sneakers dur to a 2nd ACL tear I've yet to have repaired.

Never had much of a jump shot to lose but could handle the ball real well. Of course, as every white guy claims, I was a "hustle player". What that says about me and my game is yours to decide.

W

You can coach the Gloom and Doom W. Who's gonna coach the Stay the Course guys?

I just thought of that. I think it would be cool!

You in as scorer Dr.Z?

This is a brilliant idea Money! Anyone at the Squawk have any pull to make that happen?

Quote:

Maybe we could get the floor as the halftime entertainment one night. After all, we'd probably look about like the little kids that they run out there occasionally.

Quote:

You can coach the Gloom and Doom W. Who's gonna coach the Stay the Course guys?

I just thought of that. I think it would be cool!

You in as scorer Dr.Z?

This is a brilliant idea Money! Anyone at the Squawk have any pull to make that happen?

Quote:

Maybe we could get the floor as the halftime entertainment one night. After all, we'd probably look about like the little kids that they run out there occasionally.

I'd be better suited to run the concession stand, but sure. I'd be there for moral support.

Start riding a bike Walt, it has really helped my bad knees. I tore my ACL in my left knee playing football in HS. Then a couple of years ago while playing a pickup basket ball in Otavalo, I messed up my right knee. Biking has really helped both my knees tremendously. No surgery yet, though my sports doc wants me to do it.