• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Insider Special: Draft Rumors

Will Big Z be the next to go in Cleveland?

WHO INTERESTED THE SKINNY

Zydrunas Ilgauskas

Cavs

Knicks, Blazers, Jazz Jan. 27 - Ilgauskas has teams licking their chops for one reason -- when he's healthy, he's one of the two or three best offensive centers in the league. The big question though, is how much longer he can stay off crutches. After missing two full seasons with foot injuries, Ilgauskas made a miraculous comeback midway through last season. Is there a team out there willing to take the risk?

He has been phenomenal for the Cavs through the first half, which is partly why Cleveland wants to trade him -- his value has never been higher. Cavs GM Jim Paxson is also concerned that the heavy minutes he logged under John Lucas's tutelage will eventually catch up with him. Add three young centers -- DeSagana Diop, Chris Mihm and Michael Stewart -- to the mix and you can understand the Cavs' motivation. They need their young bigs to get more playing time and would love to be out from under the remaining two years and $28 million of Ilgauskas's contract.

So, who is rumored to be interested? The Knicks could put together a package of Charlie Ward, Travis Knight and Othella Harrington that would put them in the picture. Ward only has $2 million worth of salary protection on his contract next season, Knight has just one more year left on his deal, and Harrington's salary won't do any major cap damage. The move would allow the Cavs to clear about $5 million in additional cap room for next summer and $11 million of cap space for the summer of 2004.

The Jazz could also be interested, possibly shipping Greg Ostertag, John Amaechi, Jason Collins and a No. 1 draft pick. And the Blazers, always willing to wheel and deal, have looked at moving soon-to-be free agents Scottie Pippen and Antonio Daniels to Cleveland for Ilguaskas, Tyrone Hill and Michael Stewart.

Drew Gooden

Grizzlies

Magic? Jan. 27 - It's hard to believe Grizzlies GM Jerry West, who proclaimed that Gooden a legit candidate for Rookie of the Year, would pull the plug on his first draft pick so quickly. However, the Chicago Tribune is reporting that Gooden is on the block. The problem for the Griz right now is fit. Pau Gasol is their power forward of the future, and Gooden has struggled to adapt to playing small forward. His struggles have led to decreased playing time. Gooden's pouting over his role with the team hasn't helped things. Smith suggests that the Grizzlies may be willing to rekindle talks with the Magic. This summer, the Grizzlies were trying to get the Magic to agree to a Stromile Swift for Mike Miller swap. Will they up the ante to Gooden for Miller?

Hidayet Turkoglu

Kings

Bulls? Jan. 27 - According to the Chicago Tribune, the Kings are looking for a lottery-caliber draft pick in return for Turkoglu. Many in Sacramento thought Turkoglu was poised to send Doug Christie to the bench after a solid off-season playing for the Turkish national team, but lately Turkoglu has struggled to find minutes in a deep rotation that includes Keon Clark and second-year guard Gerald Wallace. Turkoglu becomes a restricted free agent after next season and according to Smith, the Kings have spread the word that he's available.

Gary Payton

Sonics

Pacers

Blazers

Hawks

Bucks

T-Wolves

Warriors Jan. 27 - The Sonics are reeling and team president Wally Walker acknowledged last week that the team is listening to trade offers, including ones for veteran Gary Payton. "To say that we're listening, that means that there are people out there that might have some interest in our players," GM Rick Sund told the Seattle Times. "I told our players this: No one is untouchable. No one, and that's true."

Coach Nate McMillan gave even more evidence on Sunday why Payton's antics no longer fit with the rebuilding program he's trying to put into place. McMillan feels that his young players, especially Rashard Lewis, need to be taking control in the deciding moments of games. Will he really get the opportunity with the ultra competitive Payton on the floor? "If you're going to be a go-to kind of guy, the kind of guy Gary has been for us for years, then you have to take those shots," McMillan said. "I want Rashard taking those shots. That's what he wanted and that's what we want. You learn from your defeats and he's no different. He'll be better the next game and the game after that because he's taking those big shots."

Payton is in the final year of a seven-year deal and becomes an unrestricted free agent after the season. Payton's agents made claims before the season about their unwillingness to re-sign with Seattle after overtures for a contract extension were denied. Even though team owner Howard Schultz has reiterated that he wants Payton to retire a Sonic, the writing on the wall is becoming clear in Seattle -- the Sonics aren't ready to compete right now for a championship. That means anyone not named Rashard Lewis and Desmond Mason is expendable.

Eric Snow

Sixers

Warriors, Hawks, T-Wolves Jan. 27 - Several league sources told Insider the Sixers are once again shopping their point guard in return for a post player. While Snow has been a valuable piece of the Sixers puzzle, coach Larry Brown feels that he has enough depth with Aaron McKie and rookie John Salmons to make Snow expendable. Snow's salary, $4.1 million a year, and his solid point guard play makes him attractive trade bait.

Several teams are still looking for a point guard and are rumored to be interested in Snow. The Warriors would swap Danny Fortson straight up in a heartbeat. The Hawks likely would part with a combination of rookie Dan Dickau and Nazr Mohammed. And the T-Wolves are ready to part ways with Joe Smith. However, whether any of those players would help Larry Brown turn around his Sixers is questionable.

Marcus Camby

Nuggets

Sonics? Lakers? Bulls? Jan. 23 - Maybe Marcus Camby isn't going anywhere after all. After a month of trade speculation swirling around the fragile center, the Denver Post is reporting that the Nuggets have contacted Camby's agent about a potential three year extension. "It's something I have to look into when the time is right," said Camby, whose status is day to day after spraining his right ankle Friday in his Nuggets debut against Cleveland. "They've definitely expressed interest to my representation. It's something I am definitely interested in. It shows their commitment to me. They've been bending over backward for me and trying to make sure that I'm all right. You want to be surrounded by people like that. I haven't even played double digits in minutes yet they still think so highly about me and my game. I like to be around people like that."

Why would the Nuggets trade him? They wouldn't mind getting his deal off their cap. With teams like the Sonics, Bulls and Lakers looking for help down low, Camby, if he's really healthy, would be a big coup. Not only is he a legit all-star when he isn't injured, his contract is pretty reasonable. He has only two more years on his contract, and one of those is a team option.

Despite his most recent comments, Camby sure acted like he was angling for a trade. He admitted last week that he's unhappy in the current situation and wouldn't mind being shipped off to a contender. "I'm an East Coast guy," Camby told the Denver Post. "I grew up in Connecticut, went to school in Massachusetts and played the majority of my pro career in New York. Coming out West in itself has been a big adjustment for me. My whole life is on the East Coast. I'm basically out here by myself. No family or nothing."

Shareef Abdur Rahim

Hawks

Lakers, Sonics, Bulls, Heat, Spurs, Nuggets Jan. 21 - Sagging attendance and sagging AOL/Time Warner stock could force Hawks president Stan Kasten to sell off his stars for more cap room. According to Chicago Tribune, just about everyone is available, with the Hawks preferring to land players whose contract will be expiring so they can get under the salary cap and start over. Look for Abdur Rahim to be the big prize.

Who would be interested? What about the Lakers, who have roughly $11.3 million in salaries they could dump? Or the Sonics, who could send a package of Kenny Anderson and Vladimir Radmanovic? The Sonics almost dealt Gary Payton for Abdur-Rahim two seasons ago. Could they get him for much less now? The Bulls have been searching for veteran help and have plenty of young players -- Jamal Crawford, Marcus Fizer -- to trade. If the Cavs really want to start winning now, a combination of Tyrone Hill and Darius Miles from the Cavaliers could jump start the process.

And don't forget the Heat, Nuggets and Spurs. Abdur-Rahim is better than almost any free agent those teams could land this summer. The Heat have Alonzo Mourning's salary they could use to acquire Abdur-Rahim. The Nuggets have Juwan Howard's. And the Spurs have Hawks favorite Steve Smith's to play with. If these teams were willing to take on another unwieldly contract (like Henderson's or Mohammed's) and throw in a prospect or a draft pick, would the Hawks do the deal?

Austin Croshere

Pacers

Lakers, Sonics, Sixers, Hornets Jan. 17 - The Pacers are working the phones trying to find a home for Croshere or Ron Mercer. They need to get at least one of those salaries off the books to have a realistic shot at signing Jermaine O'Neal, Reggie Miller and Brad Miller this summer. They'd prefer to move Croshere, who has struggled to get playing time because of the team's depth at forward. O'Neal, Artest, Al Harrington and Bender are eating up all of his minutes right now and the Pacers would love to clear that logjam. They'd also love to dump the five years and $38 million remaining on his contract. If the Pacers could move Croshere this fall, they'd clear an additional $7.6 million from the cap.

Several teams, including the Lakers, Sonics and Hornets, have shown some interest in Croshere. His ability to play both the inside and outside game would be attractive to a team like the Lakers, who need help on the boards on the defensive end but like to spread the floor on offense. He's basically a younger, stronger version of Robert Horry. Would the Lakers ship off Horry to the Pacers for Croshere and a pick? Even a combination of Samaki Walker, Tracy Murray and Mark Madsen would do the trick if the Lakers can't stomach losing Horry. The Sonics (for Kenny Anderson), the Sixers (for Derrick Coleman), the Hornets (for P.J. Brown) and the Cavs (for Tyrone Hill) are other teams the Pacers will be calling the next six weeks.

Tyrone Hill

Cavs

Magic, Sonics, Lakers Jan. 15 - Can Tyrone Hill help a contender? He's wondering the same thing right now. Hill was recently benched by coach John Lucas to make way for younger players, despite leading the team in rebounding at 9.1 rpg. "Who would be happy?" Hill told the Cleveland Plain Dealer. "I've done everything [the organization] has wanted me to do since training camp. If they want to put me on the bench, that's their choice. I'm not a young guy anymore, and I wish they'd take that into consideration."

Hill will be an attractive commodity as we head toward the deadline. Hill's in the last year of a contract worth $6 million. Coach John Lucas said Hill, a 13-year veteran, was put into a tough situation because of the team's commitment to developing younger players. "I'm playing the younger guys and obviously that's not going to go well [with veterans]," Lucas told the Cleveland Plain Dealer. "Hill's in a contract year and I'm sensitive to that. But Tyrone's been a professional throughout all of this."

Kwame Brown

Wizards

Clippers, Magic, Bulls, Blazers Jan. 13 - Much was made last week about the Magic's offer of two first-round draft picks for Kwame Brown. The Wizards shot the offer down. Apparently, the Magic aren't taking no for an answer. The latest, according to the Orlando Sentinel, has the Magic possibly throwing in Mike Miller to sweeten the deal. Gabriel believes that Brown is a star in the making and just needs to be free of Jordan's stifling influence to blossom. If they cannot get Brown, the Magic also like forward Etan Thomas -- at the right price.

Brown said he is bothered by the recent wave of reports that have him mentioned in trade talks. "I get phone calls from people who say. 'You're getting traded,' " Brown told the Washington Post. "I get frustrated hearing it. To hear that, it's like 'They don't want me?' " Brown said he has been assured that he won't be dealt. Coach Doug Collins told the Washington Post last week that the team is not contemplating a significant trade or roster move (read trading Kwame Brown) that would sacrifice the development of its young nucleus for a potential playoff run or to appease Michael Jordan in his last NBA season. "People are always going to speculate, but Kwame's been better every game. We're not trading Kwame," Collins said. However a Wizards told the Post that although they do not want to ship Kwame Brown, they would at least think about a deal if they could acquire another young, big player, such as Clippers forward Elton Brand.

Darius Miles

Cavs

Bulls

Raptors Jan. 13 - Coach John Lucas continues to fuel speculation that Darius Miles may be gone. The play of Ricky Davis and rookie Dajuan Wagner continue to make Miles look like a third wheel. "I'm not sold the three of them can play together," Lucas said. So far, Davis and Wagner have been at their best with undrafted Smush Parker at point guard. "I understand when Smush is on the court, the other two perform better," Lucas said of Davis and Wagner. "But I didn't trade my best player [Andre Miller] to allow Smush to operate better."

While there's no truth to the rumor that he's heading to Toronto for Vince Carter, the Bulls have been looking for a new home for Jamal Crawford ever since Jay Williams landed in their laps. He'd be a great fit in Cleveland. With the 6-foot-2 Wagner playing at the two, the Cavs need a big point guard to help out defensively. Crawford has the skills and athleticism that Lucas has been looking for in his point guard. On the Chicago side, GM Jerry Krause has coveted Miles since draft night. If the Bulls throw in a protected No. 1 pick, would the Cavs pull the trigger?

Jamal Crawford

Bulls

Cavs

Warriors

Magic

Sonics

Knicks

Wizards Jan. 13 - Crawford said he's prepared to head back to the bench, once Jay Williams returns from injury, but he has a hard time figuring out how Williams has beat him out for the job. "I know I can be a starter in this league," Crawford told the Chicago Tribune. "I started last year and we were 4-2. I just have to keep playing and accept my role. But I think we play well when I'm in the lineup." If nothing else, Crawford's recent run is improving his trade value. However, GM Jerry Krause continues to insist that Crawford's not going anywhere. "I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm not interested in trading him," Krause said.

Still, there should be plenty of interest. Crawford has been mentioned in rumors that have him going to the Cavs as part of a Darius Miles package, to the Warriors in exchange for Mike Dunleavy Jr. and the Magic, along with Marcus Fizer, for Mike Miller.

Todd MacCulloch

Sixers

Knicks, Sonics, Blazers Jan. 10 - According to the New York Daily News, the Sixers are shopping MacCulloch around the league. The Knicks are one of several teams the Sixers have contacted to see if there's an interest. MacCulloch, who makes $4.9 million this season, has another four years left on his contract after this season. The Knicks have been out searching for a legitimate big man for several years.

Other teams that have shown an interest in MacCulloch in the past may be more willing to cut a deal. The Sonics have coveted him for some time and may be willing to do a deal if the Sixers take one of their useless big men (Calvin Booth, Vitaly Potapenko) off their hands. The Blazers have also been combing the catacombs for another big body in the middle and pursued MacCulloch when he was a free agent two summer ago. They might be willing to part with one of their extra point guards (Antonio Daniels or Jeff McInnis) or even swingman Ruben Patterson.

Kenny Anderson

Sonics

Heat, Pacers, Bucks, Raptors, Warriors, Grizzlies, Wizards Jan. 9 - Sonics coach Nate McMillan is getting sick of the Sonics lack of low post play and the constant complaining for guard Kenny Anderson. "I've got two free-agent point guards who want minutes," McMillan, speaking of Gary Payton and Anderson told the Seattle Post Intelligencer, "and I've got five big men who all play with a similar style. Until we make some moves, this is what we're going to have to work with."

The Sonics have the silver bullet when it comes to trade talks. Anderson, who makes $9 million a year, is in the last year of his contract. His trade value as high as just about any all-star in the league. Teams like the Heat, Pacers, Bucks, Raptors, T-Wolves, Warriors, Grizzlies and Wizards would bend over backwards to get their hands on him. Not only does Anderson have the ability to help a team in the playoff hunt right now, he almost guarantees that it'll be a player in the hot 2004 free-agent market.

Damon Stoudamire

Blazers

Knicks?? Jan. 9 - Stoudamire, who's buried at the end of the bench in Portland, is praying that the Knicks come and rescue him. "I would love to play here," Stoudamire told the N.Y. Post. "New York has always been the Mecca of basketball to me, and if that would happen, I would look forward to that." During a break in Sunday night's Blazers-Knicks action, fans behind the Portland bench began begging for Stoudamire to get traded to the Knicks. "I'll stay in your dog house to get here," Stoudamire reportedly said. Stoudamire told the Oregonian this weekend that he believes his benching is a directive from the office of team president Bob Whitsitt, not coach Maurice Cheeks.

Don't expect the Knicks to bite. The emergence of second-round pick Milos Vujanic, a 6-foot-3 point guard from Yugoslavia, should give the team its point guard of the future when he joins the Knicks next season. Vujanic is not only the best point guard in Europe right now, he's Europe's best player period. Since the Knicks will be able to sign him at a relative bargain, don't expect them to create more problems by adding another point guard to the mix.

Robert Horry

Lakers

Grizzlies, Bucks, Heat, Pacers Jan. 8 - Over the past few seasons, the Lakers have been stubborn when it comes to trade talk. "That's not the case this year," GM Mitch Kupchak told the L.A. Times. Kupchak would not say he is shopping players, only that he is listening and mulling the possibilities. "Yes, there have been conversations regarding personnel," he said. "As we get closer to the February deadline, there will be more."

Despite all the commentary to the contrary, the Lakers do have assets. Robert Horry is basically in the last year of his contract because of a team option on his final season. Samaki Walker, Tracy Murray and Mark Madsen are also in the last year of their deals. In the NBA, there is no better currency. Combine their salaries and the Lakers have $11.3 million in very marketable assets.

If Kupchak can convince owner Jerry Buss to spend the money, and if he can talk Jackson into shaking up the roster, the Lakers can be players. How great would Brian Grant look in Laker gold? Or what about Tim Thomas? Or a combination of Toni Kukoc and Anthony Mason? The Pacers would part with Austin Croshere and Ron Mercer. And some combination of Stromile Swift and Lorenzen Wright may fit the bill in Memphis as Jerry West tries to get his team under the cap.

Raef LaFrentz

Mavs

Knicks Jan. 7 - Forget about the latest report in the New York Daily News claiming that the Knicks are in hot pursuit of Mavs big man Raef LaFrentz. LaFrentz signed a seven-year, $69 million contract last summer, making him a base-year compensation player. For trading purposes, LaFrentz makes $7.2 million this season, but the Mavs can only take back $3.6 million in return.

Jason Terry

Hawks

Heat? Blazers? Jan. 6 - A rumor published in the N.Y. Post had the Hawks putting Terry on the trading block. According to the report, the Heat (dangling Eddie Jones) and Blazers are interested in Terry. While GM Pete Babcock denied on Sunday that they were shopping Terry, he didn't rule out the possibility of trading him. "No question, we're talking," Babcock said. "Anything that makes us a better team now and for the future and makes sense financially will be considered and is being considered. But I can tell you that we do not feel that we have to move certain players. And certainly Jason is not being shopped."

Heat coach Pat Riley was also quick to shoot down the rumor. "Bulls---. That's all I'm going to say. It's absolute bulls---," Riley told the Sun Sentinel on Sunday. "You can quote me on that."

Brian Grant

Heat

Sonics, Bulls Jan. 6 - The Heat may not be talking trade with the Hawks, but coach Pat Riley is trying to find a new home for either Grant or Eddie Jones. The Heat need to move one of the two players to get far enough under the cap to make a run at a top tier free agent this summer. The most prominent rumor making the rounds in front offices around the league has the Heat and Sonics talking about a swap that would send Grant and Anthony Carter to the Sonics in return for Kenny Anderson (in the last year of his contract) and Calvin Booth. Sources inside both clubs would not confirm the talks to Insider.

The Sonics don't really miss Vin Baker, but they do miss having a tough defender in the paint. Grant, one of the all-time NBA nice guys, would fit in perfectly into the Sonics system. Carter only has one year remaining on his deal after this season, and would provide backup for the Sonics should Payton come up lame. The Heat, by pulling the trigger on the deal, would clear an additional nine million off the books for this summer. The only downside for the Sonics at this point, is the loss of flexibility. If the team keeps Anderson, they'll clear the nine million off their books and be in a position to make a run at a top free agent like Kidd of Elton Brand. However, if the plan is to re-sign Payton anyway, why bother. He's use up any additional cap room the team would have anyway.

Vince Carter

Raptors

Cavs

everyone Dec. 31 - A report from the Toronto Sun has the Raptors and Cavs talking about a a trade that would send Vince Carter to Cleveland in return for Darius Miles and center Zydrunas Ilgauskas. According to the Sun, Carter isn't happy in Toronto and there is now an uneasiness between him and the franchise. Players and members of the team's basketball staff, according to the report, believe Carter has not worked hard enough during his rehab and has not practiced hard when he's healthy. Carter has played in only 10 games this season for the Raptors.

The Raptors laughed off the rumor on Monday. "There is absolutely no truth to that story whatsoever," general manager Glen Grunwald told the Toronto Star. The deal also doesn't work salary wise. Carter earns $10,067,750 this season, while Ilgauskas and Miles combine to make $15,642,960. That could be fixed if the Raptors threw a retiring Hakeem Olajuwon into the deal. However, Carter is a base-year player this season, meaning that the Raptors could take back only about $5 million of his salary in any deal.