• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

My email to Babcock about blowing up the team....

flava

Pete,

I'd like to serve as the voice of reason - there is no sense in blowing this team up now. You're only going to get either 1) old talent in return (ie Robinson) or 2) cap space, which will do this franchise no good whatsoever. Face it, no free agent in their right mind would sign with the Hawks; so you'd probably end up paying an average player way more than he's worth. What we need is a big guard (Jamal Crawford, Alvin Williams) and a 7-footer (you should have signed Kevin Willis when you could). Trade Nazr for Jamal. Resign DJ at much less than the guaranteed contract would have been. Another thing, let JT do what he does best - score. I also think you probably should have lost your job by now, but I continue to support you while you have it - just don't waste the talent the Hawks already have before you get fired.

PB

I would hope that I am able to continue to make rational decisions that would not adversely affect the future of the franchise....at least that would be our goal. Each move we have made to date in this rebuilding process looked rational on the surface....acquire the NBA's leading shot blocker who was 7 years younger than Dikembe (along with Kukoc and Mohammed); add two scorers in Shareef and Glenn (one low post presence and one mid-range scorer) and a young and emerging backcourt in JT and DJ....but it has not worked out to date. We tried to sign Willis this summer, but were not permitted to do so unless we could create a roster spot...we had twelve guaranteed contracts at that time. Kevin called me to tell me he had an offer with SA, and I told him he should take it since we did not have a spot open yet..... a few weeks later, DJ was injured in a car accident and we could have used the roster spot for Kevin, but too late.

We are trying to obtain help for JT so he can do exactly what you suggest....score...we love his energy and passion for the game. I will try to make the best decisions for the team's future so the next GM has a strong hand to deal with....thanks for your message and comments.

By the way, I cannot tell you how many NBA players come up to me routinely and want to sign with Atlanta as a free agent...they all love the city...so it is not hard to attract players...the team just needs the room to sign them.

Pete Babcock

I thought Pete addressed the main points of my email and didn't beat around the bush. He almost sounds like he knows he is going to lose his job (which he should). However, I'd like to think that he is not going to do anything stupid. But why should we even be hearing about SAR for Smitty/Ferry. That's ludicrous. Anyway, I hope we trade for a big guard. This team can still make the playoffs this year and shouldn't toss in the towel.

flava

Well, I have to give credit where credit is due. Babcock's response to your letter was intrigueing. Did he directly or indirectly tell us that he was getting fired? Well, for one thing, he answered your questions. I appreciate him telling us the circumstance he's in and how positive he responded.

Well, he tried signing K.Willis, but the timing was off. Oh well!