• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Question for the board?

Scott

• Premium Member

What effect will the owner situation have on the the Hawks offering Josh Smith a extension this summer. I thought there were some stipulation on the number of years we could sign a player without Belkins aproval. Josh would receive a five year extension.

That's how I remember it. I know for sure we could sign our draft picks. I am 90% sure that we could re-sign our own guys, but not 100% sure. Someone might want to look up the press release form when the ruling happened.

In any event, we can sign longer deals as long as Belkin approves, and I'm sure that even he'd want Smith here too.

• Premium Member

I am sure we wil resign him I just dont no if it will be this off season or Knight wait until he is a restricted free agent and matches like he did with Jason Terry. I wonder if Smith will seak a sort contract like Lebron and Wade so he can become a free agent sooner.

Quote:

I am sure we wil resign him I just dont no if it will be this off season or Knight wait until he is a restricted free agent and matches like he did with Jason Terry. I wonder if Smith will seak a sort contract like Lebron and Wade so he can become a free agent sooner.

It's not good business sense to lock Smoove in with an extension this summer. They should wait until the season starts to finalize any extension.

Or you can do just like you said, and just wait until someone gives him an offer, so that we can match it. I'm sure Smoove isn't brave enough to pull an "Eddy Curry", and not sign any offer sheet and take the flat 3.1 million he'll be worth in 08 - 09 . . then become an unrestricted FA after that season.

Smoove isn't going anywhere anytime soon, unless he demands to be traded and truly becomes a disruptive locker room presence . . or unless the Hawks don't feel that he's worth more than "x-amount" of dollars or a MAX contract. He'll get his money, starting with the 08 - 09 season, most likely from us. No need to even worry about that right now.