If you blow the team up, do it right.

KB21

Get a player that can be the foundation of a team and build around him.

If Pete wants to blow this thing up, then he should check with Minnesota to see if they would do a Kevin Garnett for Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Glenn Robinson, and Jason Terry deal.

IMO, Minnesota is in a situation where they aren't able to get the type of help Kevin Garnett needs. Orlando is proof that having one superstar caliber player doesn't overcome a lack of a team. If they make this trade, it would give them a line up of Terry, Szczerbiak, Robinson, Abdur-Rahim, and Nesterovic. Not a bad line up at all. They would lack the true superstar, but they would have a more complete team.

With Atlanta, they get a young player who is a superstar to build around. They put Garnett at small forward and finish the season with a starting line up of Dickau, Glover, Garnett, Henderson, and Ratliff.

If you are going to do it, then go for the gusto and get Garnett.

thank you. we need a superstar, end of story, even if it means giving people away to get him...

something to build around, something to draw fans, something WORTH building around...and SAR's not quite it.

KB21,

Why would Minnesota do that?

They are 30-20 to our 19-31. Thus they trade their single catalyst for wins for a group who prove they can not win together.

It is proven under two coaches that this formula of players does not mix. Minnesota, a playoff bound team, would be more than foolish to even have nightmares about that trade.

Play.

HotLanta,

It's true.

I mean, you could offer the entire Hawks roster and our first round pick from here until 2008 - and the trade would still be dumb.

Garnett puts fans in the arena. He is a proven leader and winner and a perennial all-star. He is continually improving.

If we see Garnett in another jersey, I doubt it will be before he is 31.

Play.

KB21,

True, but their attendance is high none-the-less. Which at the end of the day, brings in revenues.

Besides, they will get talent around him eventually (one would think) ... but then again, look at Reef.

But, at least he has gotten to the first round of the playoffs. That is more than most of our team can brag about.

I would love to see Garnett in a Hawks uniform. But, I just don't see it happening. I think you have a better shot at getting Carter or Kobe or Kidd during their free agent years.

You might be able to land Carter now.

I still am under the impression that a good coach can turn this group around. A good coach gives us identity. A good coach will force Reef to be agressive. We would have a game plan, which is something I don't think we have now.

I think our worst problem is the bench. We have no players. We go through NBDL scrubs like a box of Ritz crackers.

Next would be our lack of role players. We have none.

I think our worst player problem is Glenn. He can fill, but he has too many holes.

Terry is secondary, but only because of matchup problems and our difficulty in finding a running mate.

Our two best players are Reef and Theo. But, Reef needs to get motivated or I will take that back. He plays almost like he isn't concerned with the outcome. He has to change.

But when Reef and Theo leave the game, all hades breaks loose. Offensively we look horrible. Defensively we look horrible.

Play.

I don't think a coach is going to make a player something he isn't. In Reef's case, he's not a naturally aggressive player. He gets his points in the flow of the game without demanding the ball or forcing anything. That's the type of player he is. A good coach will maximize his strengths and minimize his weaknesses. Right now, I think his biggest weakness is his post defense, and I think there is a good chance he would play small forward on another team for defensive purposes.

Jason Terry is a Nick Van Excel type of point guard. You have to let him look for his shot, then create for others secondary to that. You can't make him a true point guard just as you can't make him exclusively a two. You have to work with what you have. You play a defense that allows him to play the passing lanes and doesn't ask him to give much help defense because he loses his man when he does that.

Garnett himself gets u into the playoffs whether or not hes in the EAST OR WEST (just like McGrady).

Garnett + TALENT = how far we will go in the playoffs. Garnett + Ratliff should be good enuf to get out of first round.

When Garnett rumors started up last year (i think it was last year), Minnesota didnt hear anything as good as SAR/GROB/TERRY.

They might do it...

why would we put ourselves in the same position they are in?... not being able to build around him because of his contract. i'm a big KG fan and i hate the hawks not even making the playoffs but we've had a one man, first round exit team with nique. if we are going to trade ALL of our talented players we have to get more than one player in return, whether it is though a draft pick or something. whether you like how big dog, jt and reef play, they are our 3 best