• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Another good Terrence Moore Article:Fundamentals

ncthompson11

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-bl...mentals_gi.html

I really enjoyed this article. People say players in america have no fundamentals. A lot of that is true but the great athletes seem take the spots of the fundamentally sound players. Not trying to sound racist but if teams gave white americans a shot they could really put together a great team. I think a mix of great athletes and fundamental players who can shoot are needed on a team to be successful.

I loathe Terrence Moore....

I am not knocking THIS article...I havent't read it- could be good.

but the last one few I have read from him (supporting Mike Woodson and the one about Jackie Robinson day) were typical Terrence Moore [censored]-fests....

So, pardon my skepticism when you say ANOTHER Terrence Moore article.

Terrence Moore is also a Georgia Tech and African American homer in the worst way, and I am in no way racist. But, he goes to far with his activism.

As good as fundamentals are you have to be smart to able to play without athletecism. The problem may be that most "unathletic" players may not be smart enough to compensate and that's why they are not on NBA rosters. Basketball fundamentals trump athleticism but athleticism trumps basketball stupidity.

I remember many years ago, when Dominique was in his third or fourth year as a pro, he returned from the summer with a beautiful jump shot.

Everyone asked him where the heck it came from, since he was NOT a jump shooter at all his first few years.

He said he had taught several basketball camps that summer and was extremely embarrassed when he realized he did not have proper shooting fundamentals down when he was trying to teach the kids.

He said he went back to the gym and started practicing jump shots with proper technique for two months straight.

Pretty interesting . . .

Quote:

I remember many years ago, when Dominique was in his third or fourth year as a pro, he returned from the summer with a beautiful jump shot.

Everyone asked him where the heck it came from, since he was NOT a jump shooter at all his first few years.

He said he had taught several basketball camps that summer and was extremely embarrassed when he realized he did not have proper shooting fundamentals down when he was trying to teach the kids.

He said he went back to the gym and started practicing jump shots with proper technique for two months straight.

Pretty interesting . . .

Thanks for the anecdote! I was only like 10 at the time you are talking about. By the time I was watching him, he had a pretty nice j. Especially on the pull up bank shot and stuff. And of course, post achilles tear, he was a really good longer range jump shooter.

Makes me think. Would anyone ever let Childress teach their kid how to shoot? Not me. I know my j looks better than his.

I'm 5'7" and I have a higher release point. lol!

The fundamental ones that are smart are the ones in the league but you cant say just because they have good fundamentals they are smart or deserve a shot. So what they have great ballhandling or get in the proper stance on defense. How do they use that to their advantage. Another things is that fundamentals can be taught as seen by the Nique story. Athleticism can't. Given the choice the athelete would and should be chosen every time.