• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Just in time for the draft

joannes3000

Now that my mock draft is done, the draft can commence. bannana_guitar.gif

Taken from my post on falcons.scout.com.

1. Oakland - Calvin Johnson. I think ultimately, Kiffin will be able to talk enough sense into Al Davis and have Davis realize that Kiffin can work on grooming a FA QB while they draft a QB in the 3rd (Stanton/Edwards).

2. Detroit - after CJ goes first, the phones go dead on draft day. Sticking with the original plan, minus a trade down, the Lions make their first smart #1 pick in recent years and go with Gaines Adams to solidify their DL; an area they didn't address in FAcy.

3. Cleveland - JaMarcus Russell. Crennell needs an offensive spark to get his offense in gear and to keep his job past this season. Quinn could be taken here, also, but with the burners that are on the roster, you go with the stronger-armed QB.

4. Tampa Bay - after offering the farm to both Oakland and Detroit, the Bucs are met with two realizations. One, they can't land CJ. Two, they're better off served drafting fresh legs on defense where many of their starters get AARP discounts. Amobi Okoye gets the nod here, instantly bringing youth and talent to an aging defense.

5. Arizona - bet the house now. If Joe Thomas is on the board here, there is no questioning who the Cards take. Better pass protection for Leinart, better run blocking for Edge; all for several years to come.

6. Washington - Darth Snyder tries with all his might to trade with the Bears to no avail (for Briggs), so the Skins take our man LaRon Landry instead. Can't argue with that. A Sean Taylor, LaRon Landry combo is a potentially devastating pair of safeties.

7. Minnesota - here's my choice for a shock pick. Despite what anyone says about Tavaris Jackson, I don't think he's the long term solution at QB. The Vikings instead tab Brady Quinn as their future franchise QB here.

8. *trade* Buffalo - talk about a dream come true for both teams. The Falcons trade down 4 spots, netting yet another 1st day pick in Buffalo's 3rd rounder, and the Bills get a top flight RB in Adreian Peterson to replace Willis McGahee. You think a 3rd rounder is too much to give up? Not when the Texans are in the mix attempting to land the exact same player.

9. Miami - with both top QB prospects off the board, the Fins go with a big-bodied tackle that will remind many of Richmond Webb. Both Levi Brown and the Dolphins can only hope to have the same longevity and success.

10. Houston - two years in a row of Texan fans narrowly missing out on hometown stars has the city feeling down and I can't blame them. So what do the Texans do? They draft a defensive player for the second year in a row. Leon Hall seems to be a reach, especially with a guy like Darrelle Revis still on the board, but it's hard to deny his importance on that studly Michigan defense.

11. San Francisco - has there been a more active team at this point in the preseason? Not a chance. The Niners continue their defensive overhaul and make it two Wolverines in a row with the selection of Alan Branch. It wasn't long ago that Branch was regarded as a top 10 pick if not a top 5 pick, and this would be a great value pick.

12. *trade* Atlanta - so we didn't get our guy at #8. What's the next best thing? Acquiring another first day pick in a deep draft and getting a great safety prospect in Reggie Nelson. Landry is the most intriguing safety prospect, but don't sleep on Nelson who ran a similar 40 yard dash at his pro day on campus.

13. St. Louis - the Rams will be looking to improve their defense, yet again. And while they will be bummed to see Okoye and Branch off the board they can still get a solid run-stuffing DL in Adam Carriker. Don't let the DE designation fool you, the guy is nearly big enough to play DT.

14. Carolina - see discussion below. Patrick Willis is too good to pass up in the middle of the round.

15. Pittsburgh - the winds of change could be blowing in the Steel City with the arrival of Mike Tomlin, a Cover 2 disciple. That said, I think the Steelers will be just fine with their current LB corps regardless of the defense they run, and they opt to address their secondary instead with local product Darrelle Revis.

16. *trade* New England - the Patriots front office continues to showcase their ability to draft well with a trade up from the #24 slot. With this move the Pats draft Jon Beason to further revamp their LB unit. Is it even fair that the Pats usher out the Tedy Bruschi/Mike Vrabel era by introducing the Adalius Thomas/Jon Beason era?

17. Jacksonville - the Jags are as surprised as I am (in typing this) that one of the top prospects is still available half way through the first round. Without hesitation the Jags select Jamaal Anderson who will team up with John Henderson and Marcus Stroud to form one of the most feared DL groups in the league.

18. Cincinnati - with many of the Bengals players earning their 'stripes' recently, the Bengals kill two bird with one stone with their first pick. Paul Posluszny brings instant credibility and a blue collar work ethic to a group of LBs that went from great to gone in a heartbeat.

19. Tennessee - two things the Titans need are a return man and a #1 receiver, thanks to the losses of Pacman Jones and Drew Bennett. And before you start thinking of that Ohio State WR, or that homegrown Vol WR, remember Norm Chow. Who better to endorse Dwayne Jarrett as the Titans choice of receiver? He doesn't look to be a bonafide #1, but neither do Ginn or Meachem. And if you're gonna go with a WR knowing they need some work, I think Jarrett gets the nod.

20. New York Giants - the Giants did their best to imitate the Bengals by purging as much of their LBs as possible. And much like the Bengals, I see the Giants taking a LB to restock the cupboard. Lawrence Timmons may have only started one season at FSU, but he's gushing with talent. Just like Posluszny will get by on smarts, Timmons will get by on sheer athleticism.

21. Denver - in my mock draft I'm not betting on the Broncos trading their entire first day to Detroit. First, I don't think they're trying to trade up for Gaines Adams. Second, their real target of CJ will be gone to Oakland any way. Joe Staley is the call here, given the departure of George Foster and Staley's meteoric rise up draft boards.

22. Dallas - looks like another match made in heaven here. What do you do to offset an aging Terry Glenn? If you're the Cowboys you draft fresh (sub 4.4 40 yard dash) legs owned by Robert Meachem.

23. Kansas City - the Chiefs one-up the Cowboys nice pick by addressing two needs with one pick. No more Dante Hall + an aging CB tandem = Aaron Ross. Ross will immediately pay dividends in the return game and he gets a chance to learn the CB craft from two great teachers in Ty Law and Patrick Surtain.

24. *trade* Green Bay - 8 slots later the Packers still get their man in Marshawn Lynch. Ahman Green's departure makes this an obvious pick, and the Packers can't complain about getting the #2 back in this draft along with an extra pick.

25. New York Jets - how does Mangenious help ensure that Chad Pennington's 2006 season wasn't a flash in the pan? By giving him a steady target for all those short and midrange passes. Greg Olsen trades in his green 'Canes jersey for a green Jets jersey and the chance to shine on a budding team.

26. Philadelphia - can this really happen? Has Andy Reid lost his mind? After getting rid of the media magnet that was T.O., will the Eagles draft who is quite possibly the most controversial player to go in the first round? The answer to all of the above is a resounding yes. Brandon Meriweather, FIU and robbery/gun incidents aside, has just as much, if not more talent than LaRon Landry. I think the Eagles roll the dice here.

27. New Orleans - what better way to follow the recent signing of Charles Grant to a 7 year deal than to give him a fellow SEC DE that will give the Saints a sickening speed rushing tandem. Jarvis Moss gets the chance to let his natural pass-rushing talents shine without having the pressure of being 'the man'.

28. New England - is this even fair? The Pats follow their trade up to land Beason with the drafting of Michael Griffin. Griffin has the speed to step in and play immediately, and under the coaching of Belichick and Rodney Harrison, is it much of a stretch to think that Griffin will turn out to be a leader in the secondary?

29. Baltimore - the Ravens show time and time again that a dominant defense goes a long way toward helping you win on game day. That said, they take the last of seven DBs taken in the first round in Chris Houston. McCallister (30) and Rolle (31) are probably the best CB tandem in the league but they're not getting any younger.

30. San Diego - can the Chargers be any more loaded on either side of the ball? They can with this pick. Doing his best Rashard Lewis imitation, Ted Ginn is seen sobbing in the green room as he watches pick after pick go off the board without his name being called. The end justifies the means, however, and landing on a dominant team where he can be brought along gradually will bring the best out of Ginn.

31. Chicago - how do the Bears get over the hump? Do they draft a QB? No. Do they draft a WR? No. Assuming they don't trade Briggs, they don't draft a LB. Which leads to the most sensible pick for the NFC champs. Ben Grubbs is a mauler and he will do well opening lanes for Cedrick Benson to plow through.

32. Indianapolis - wrapping up the first round, the Colts get a great value pick. Justin Harrell falls into their laps at this point, and Peyton Manning is ready to greet his fellow Volunteer. It's an understatement to say that the Colts run defense was a weakness, and Booger McFarland isn't exactly a spring chicken.

That would be sweet, and I think there is a good chance they will trade down. Heard the g.m on the radio yesterday and he talked about grading need and talent in a matrix to choose their guy. Given that they have multiple needs and the talent level does not drop that much from 8 to 12 or whatever, I think they do this. Or a similar trade. I think there are a bunch of linemen, both sides of the ball, that could be a huge help for us. And if Petrino is going to be successful in year one, he's got to have new peronnel.

Quote:

What do you think the odds are of the Titans moving their first round pick to acquire Michael Turner?

I think the signing of Turner just in time for the draft makes it very likely, although I don't think he'd go to the Titans. I think San Diego would try to send him to the NFC first, with GB being a possible trading partner. There's a wild rumor linking GB and Larry Johnson together, and if there's any truth behind that I would think Turner would be a much cheaper solution.

I'd give the Titans a 75% chance of NOT trading for Turner and going with a WR instead. I think they'll give LenDale White a season or two to prove he's not a franchise back before they start to seriously explore other options at RB.

Quote:

Why is the price of moving from 12 to 8 only a 3rd rounder?

I would want a swap of our 3rd for their 2nd.

#8 + 3rd rounder for #12 + 2nd rounder

That way we pick up 3 2nd round selections. Tasty way to build an OL.

I'd love to swap our 3rd for their 2nd also, but I just don't think that moving up 4 spots in that area of the draft will net us more than their 3rd rounder. FWIW, if you go off the point chart the difference being the #8 and #12 is 200. Their 3rd rounder is worth 220 points and the swap for 2nd/3rd rounders being worth 255 points.