• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Whatever player we get, Hawks need a 'leader'

HAWKS1986

The last couple of years the Hawks have drafted players such as DerMarr Johnson, Boris Diaw, Josh Childress, Jason Terry or Marvin Williams.

These guys have shown that they are incapable of being a 'leader'on the court at crunch time. When you use a Top 10 pick, leadership has to be a quality that is demanded and required.

Marvin and Josh Childress have rarely factored into games in the last six minutes of the fourth quarter where most games are won and lost. These guys are entering their third and fourth year respectively and I haven't seen any progress in their ability to lead thus far.

Jason Terry can shoot the ball, but often disappears when the pressure is on. Now he did go to a winning situation in Dallas, but they are already had winning players, so the pressure wasn't on Terry. He was more of a 'follower' or 'front-runner'. However, when Dallas struggled, Terry often struggled as well.

Baron Davis is a leader. Dwayne Wade is a leader.Deron Williams is a leader.

This is what the Hawks need. Players who already have a 'feel' for the game and don't shrink when the pressure is on..

Brendan Wright is an example of a marginal player with great athletic ability just like DerMarr Johnson. Not a franchise player and would be a waste of time.

Acie Law may get picked or maybe not, but among the current point guards he is the most likely to contribute immediately and has 'experience' in making plays late in games under pressure. Conley is still a mystery and so is Javaris. Deron Williams and Chris Paul stayed in school for a few years and it helped them..especially Deron..

Leadership is something that the Hawks must take into account when choosing players at the NBA draft..

Quote:

The last couple of years the Hawks have drafted players such as DerMarr Johnson, Boris Diaw, Josh Childress, Jason Terry or Marvin Williams.

These guys have shown that they are incapable of being a 'leader'on the court at crunch time. When you use a Top 10 pick, leadership has to be a quality that is demanded and required.

Marvin and Josh Childress have rarely factored into games in the last six minutes of the fourth quarter where most games are won and lost. These guys are entering their third and fourth year respectively and I haven't seen any progress in their ability to lead thus far.

Jason Terry can shoot the ball, but often disappears when the pressure is on. Now he did go to a winning situation in Dallas, but they are already had winning players, so the pressure wasn't on Terry. He was more of a 'follower' or 'front-runner'. However, when Dallas struggled, Terry often struggled as well.

Baron Davis is a leader. Dwayne Wade is a leader.Deron Williams is a leader.

This is what the Hawks need. Players who already have a 'feel' for the game and don't shrink when the pressure is on..

Brendan Wright is an example of a marginal player with great athletic ability just like DerMarr Johnson. Not a franchise player and would be a waste of time.

Acie Law may get picked or maybe not, but among the current point guards he is the most likely to contribute immediately and has 'experience' in making plays late in games under pressure. Conley is still a mystery and so is Javaris. Deron Williams and Chris Paul stayed in school for a few years and it helped them..especially Deron..

Leadership is something that the Hawks must take into account when choosing players at the NBA draft..

I figured you were going to take a shot Wright. For one you don't know basketball, if you did you would have known Dermarr was up and coming before the life threating car crash. In fact I don't know why I'm wasting my time in this thread, I'm out.

DerMarr had an unfortunate accdent, but PRIOR TO THE ACCIDENT, he wasn't very good, nor consistent.. He jacked up a few threes, but for him to be drafted as first round pick,a Top 10 pick, was a huge mistake..

DerMarr was overmatched and very inconsistent..that's the truth..

Miracles can happen, but Brendan Wright is an 'incomplete' player who is very athletic.. He might be able to help an established team with star players as a ROLE PLAYER, but the Hawks need a franchise player and leader who can help this team in the immediate future, not a 'project' who is trying to 'cash in'...

I agree 100%, and I've been saying this for a few years now. Noone on our team is really outspoken and a leader type. I don't know that the leader needs to come from the draft, but somehow we have to get one. Look what difference Cassell made for LAC last year. Kinds of players that are coaches on the floor are extremely valuable.

There are no real 'vocal' leaders on this team.. maybe Lue, but he is injured half the time..and is inconsistent-- that's why he has been a perennial back-up for the most part.

Dwayne Wade may have not been your prototypical PG, but he made plays when his team needed him to do so and got in people's faces at the right time, and it has worked out for Miami..

Same thing with Brandon Roy. He may not have the great quickness, or a prototypical passing PG, but he is a leader who can make plays at the end of games..and commands respect..and has a great B-ball IQ

Getting players with low basketball IQs, limited skillset and who hasn't been asked to be a leader in college during crunch time over a period of time(outside of one year) should not be considered as a Top 10 pick..

Durant is a special case with 'overwhelming' talent, but players such as Brendan Wright or Julian Wright (Kansas) or Thaddeus Young are athletic players that aren't leaders but just fringe players who would do better on a more 'established', more complete team..and right now the Hawks aren't at that level..