• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

This may be the hardest decision I've ever had to

Guest Walter

Guest Walter

make as a fan & Jr. GM. The decision to take the immediate 20/10/2 of Gasol and pair it with JJ at the cost of #3/Childress/...and a very large salary OR keep the pick, draft Yi, and trade from our other, lesser forward prospects for a center (prospect).

I'm serious, I haven't faced a harder decision as a fan as to which would be more beneficial to the Hawks both now and at least the intermediate term. I can't say for sure whether Gasol/JJ/JS can contend even if our Pg pans out somewhat. I can't say that Yi won't be absolutely incredible in this league and carry a team almost all by himself.

I know Gasol isn't a defensive stallwort, but he blocks shots at a large clip. I know Yi isn't as good as Gasol right now but he has the potential to be better IMO. Right now I'm stuck on two things:

1) Cost...Yi is cheap, Gasol is not. If we could include Speedy in the deal that sways me towards Gasol some.

2) What deals for a center are available? If there is a deal for a center using our existing JC, MW, and/or SW capitol I'd be swayed towards Yi.

Anybody have any ideas that can help a troubled fan Jr. GM like me?

W

My feelings here are similar to my feelings on Conley vs Yi. I can see both sides and it is a tough call.

However even if we get Gasol i still think we need a defensive C. He doesn't like playing center. Plus we move Smith to the 3 where he is less effective.

I would imagine BK's shorts feel a little tighter than normal. I don't think it is an exaggeration to say his career will be decided by the moves he makes this offseason. If he makes the right moves it could save his career. if he screws up again his GM days may be done for good.

Quote:

OK - here is my opinion....The best thing we can do is trade for PG. This is what I think will happen.

I have never watched him where i thought wow what a great player.

Pau came into the draft listed at 227. He is 260 now. When i think of what Yi could do with just another 15 pounds and more strength.....

The biggest question I would have about Gasol is injury history. He has averaged 65 games played the last 3 years. I think that it is a very good trade for the Hawks for the number 3 Childress and filler. However throwing in the number 11 pick I would not do it...

We can dream, can't we ??

What if Speedy recovers over this off season and is able

to play like his old self - Wouldn't THAT be great!

Sure, his knees were called cronic. Does that mean there

is no hope for recovery? If so, ugh.

If we pick up a rookie P.G. can Speedy stay healthy

enough to be a mentor for him?

Hard to trade, or even give away, an injured player.

Let's hope that, if we keep him, he comes back healthy.

Like I say, we can dream!!

Sorry I can't help you on the main problem Walter.

I'm just as lost as you are. Glad I don't have to

make the decisions on this.

If we do make a trade or trades, I hope we pick up a

second round pick and can get a PG - JJ - with the pick.

bike.gif

I supsect BK is having contortions about this very issue Walter. And I suspect that the ASG is, or will very soon become, quite involved (with BK) in making that call. I'd imagine that there are those in the ownership group who'll argue that such a close call demands that short and long-term financial considerations should be the deciding factor. Selecting and holding Yi is likely to add far more short-term and long-term value to the franchise than adding Gasol instead. The addition of Yi is likely to DRAMATICALLY improve marketing and merchandizing revenues. These increased revenues will almost certainly make it much more possible for the Hawks to be real players in pursuing future FAs (regardless of where the payroll might sit relative to future caps and luxury taxes). And I wouldn't be alarmed if there aren't more than a few calls being made (to the ASG) by the Metro Atlanta Chamber of Commerce, the Georgia Chamber of Commerce, and others with a keen eye toward business opportunities on the larger implications (with Yi) for the international marketing of metro Atlanta and Georgia to a RAPIDLY growing group of economic powerhouses in Asia. Without very much imagination at all, it becomes quite clear that this is potentially much larger than merely a decision about how do we improve our local basketball side.

Quote:

Anybody have any ideas that can help a troubled fan Jr. GM like me?

Walterdamus, it sounds as if you are suffering from a complete crisis of confidence right now- and believe me, I can feel your pain. I have no answers for you, but feel it may be very beneficial for you to spend some time at the Temple Of Diesel (known affectionately as 'The ToD), Redneck_Camper.jpg

there to engage in intense study and contemplation of The Gospel According To Diesel (the 'GATD').

That is my honest recommendation to you. I know that whenever I suffer from uncertainties, doubts, and questions about how to proceed....I often find myself stopping to ask, "Well, WWDD?" Really, what *would* Diesel do? Then I ponder upon that for awhile, and usually do the direct opposite.

I'm not on the Gasol bandwagon for a few reasons...

1. Contract - His contract will pretty much limit us to re-signing our own players. We don't have a pick next year so if we go for Gasol, the long term decision is made. It is JJ, Gasol, Marvin, Smoove and whatever PG we get at 11. Is that enough to get to the playoffs? Probably. Is it enough to compete for a championship? Maybe, but I doubt it.

2. Injury - Gasol looked like crap coming off of his injury last year. I don't watch alot of Memphis games, but by the numbers, it doesn't look like he improved all that much. If he were to go down again this coming season, we're pretty much looking at the 06-07 season all over again.

3. Asking Price - If Sothron is right about Memphis wanting Chillz, #3 & #11, I'd go tell them to pound sand up there azz because Gasol isn't worth all that. saythat.gif Amare would be, but Gasol is not. (on a different note altogether, Amare is one of the few players in the league that I would be willing to package Smoove for)

4. Attitude - Word is Gasol wants out because he wants to play for a winner. I think you'll agree with me that Woody is not the greatest coach in the world. irked.gif I'm not sure that if we did surround him with world class talent that he could steer the team in the right direction. If we suck again next year, Gasol may be demanding out of Atlanta. doh.gif There's no way we'd get back equal value. banghead.gif

Reasons I want Yi...

More global exposure. cool.gif

More national exposure. thumb3d.gif

More Hawks merchandise is sold. munching_out.gif

More Atlanta all-star votes. cookiemonster.gif

...those are just the financial reasons, I haven't even got to his skillset.

Yi has a high ceiling and will be brought into an environment where he should flourish. From watching his clips, he looks to be a solid shooter. He looks to be a long, agile defender. He has a post up game and can efficiently pass out of the post. When all is said and done, he may end up a better player than Gasol. For the next 4 years, he'll make about 1/4 of what Gasol will and probably generate 4 times the revenue that Gasol would. This will allow us to maintain cap flexibility in case of injuries.

In my mind, it isn't all that close. If Memphis wants a Kobe type package in return for Gasol, I say let them keep their disgruntled star.

To answer your second question regarding a center, I would offer Washington Lo & Salim for Haywood. Haywood wants out and the Wizards GM said that he's not dealing Brendan unless he gets a vet big in return. Lo is a vet big, (albeit on his last leg) but Salim's scoring ability should be enough to get the deal done. They had alot of luck with another 2nd round point guard from Arizona so I'd be willing to bet that they would go to that well again.

It works

I posted this on another thread, but it belongs here!

Say no to Gasol or Amare! Why?...We don't need them. Without the injuries this team would have been in the playoffs, period. The entire organization knows that and the league does too. With that being said, BK better keep the #3 and #11. Pick up Yi for $ and future, and a PG because we need one today and tomorrow.

Instead of a bunch of teams lets look at the team that'll win the championship this year: Spurs Blueprint

One Foundation: Tim Duncan

Primary Sidekick (Star): Tony Parker

Bench Sidekick (Star Most of the Time): Manu G

Role Players: Everyone else(defenders, big shot makers, bulls)

Future of the Above: Rookies, 2nd Chance guys, International

Draft Outlook: Diamonds in the ruff to build a future around

Free Agency: Supporting cast members

This is the blueprint to running a basketball organization.

Hawks Blueprint (possible)

One Foundation: JJ

Primary Sidekick (coming up): JSmith

Secondary Sidekick (possibley coming up): M Williams

Bench Sidekick (Sometime Star): JChill

Role Players: Everyone else (SW, Slaim, Solo, Lue, AJ, ZaZa)

Future of the Above: Yi, Conley or Critt or Law, others

Without many injuries this team will make the playoffs next year and will have the funds to keep key players and bring in others. Drafting will become for the future not for the now. FA will want to come here, because they'll have a chance to win.

When I own the Hawks (mark my words)...this will be my plan!

Larenzo Reid

CEO

UC Fitness

www.ucfitness.biz

Quote:

I'm not on the Gasol bandwagon for a few reasons...

2. Injury - Gasol looked like crap coming off of his injury last year. I don't watch alot of Memphis games, but by the numbers, it doesn't look like he improved all that much. If he were to go down again this coming season, we're pretty much looking at the 06-07 season all over again.

confused.gif

Gasol had his best season of his career last season coming off of injury.

His PER has increased every season in the NBA: 19.5 to 20.7 to 21.7 to 22.5 to 22.7 to 24.1 this season. Which means his 24.1 would be the 3rd highest PER in Atlanta Hawks history. ('Nique hit 24.3 twice)

Gasol posted the 7th best PER in the entire league last year. Behind only Wade, Dirk, Ming, Duncan, Kobe, and LeBron. This is playing with total crap. His PER was higher than KG, Boozer, Amare, Bosh and Brand. Out of that list only KG is known for playing defense and he makes almost twice as much as Pau and is 4 years older.

So you might not like Pau but Pau gets it done on the court even in the face of a trade demand, he put up his best season ever. So this fallacy that there are better players available is just crazy to me and thinking you are about to get him for the #3 and Josh Childress is borderline insanity.

If we're going to draft Yi @ 3 then keep the pick and take him and dont look back, then take best available PG at 11.

If we're looking at Wright or Horford or anyone else for that matter w/ # 3 then make a deal to get Gasol. ( just not for 3, 11 and player )

I don't think it's that they want to get rid of him so much as it is the excitement they feel when discussing the potential compensation packages they will receive for him.

Like Jaywalker said in another thread, they already took us to the cleaners back in '01 with the Shareef debacle. Can we please not give them half of our current talent and all of our draft picks for an often injured all-star?

Guest Walter

...I'm still standing on my big toe on a fence. I wouldn't hate either. Maybe leaning a little Yi. But we've GOT to make a trade for a center if we do to make it feasible. Maybe Jaywalker's right here. Maybe others. It's the one time I don't feel I have a good if not the best answer. I'm sleeping on it.

W