You have to give BK credit for trying

Sothron

• Premium Member

I asked one of my sources last week that we hear so many oddball trade offers coming to us and if we had made any ourselves. Lo and behold I get told that we offered the #3 pick and Marvin Williams to Orlando for Dwight Howard. The idea we posited to them was that they could resign Darko at C, draft Horford (local Florida product) for PF and start Marvin at 3. On our end we would start Dwight at C, Shellhead at PF and move Smoove back to SF.

The trade offer was punted around but denied. I just liked hearing Knight not just receiving calls but going out and trying to be active on his end to plug holes in our lineup.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that was a decent proposal for both sides really. Dwight is nearing the end of his rookie contracts so he technically could come here soon regardless of what Orlando does. This way, they get a little more out of the deal. Howard's one of the few upcoming stars that I could see "wanting" to come to Atlanta when they become a free agent. Marvin could be Grant Hill's predecessor. Do you think they might have done that deal if Donovan was the coach?

technically, we could have started Chillz @ the 3 when the matchups presented a problem. I think it boils down to having an undersized team with Howard at Center and Smoove at PF. You can go with 3 PF's (Smoove, Shelden, Howard) or small (Chillz, Smoove, Howard). Either way, you could match up well with alot of other teams.

• Premium Member

One of the best selling points for our end is the friendship between Smoove and Dwight. I have heard ever since he was drafted that Dwight was keeping the door open to come play for the Hawks as a RFA or UFA if Smoove was there and the team was moving up.

I don't know if the trade was offered to them when it was thought Donovan was taking over as the coach but Horford as a local Florida kid would by itself help sell tickets.

I would offer Marvin + #3 + a future 2nd round pick or T. Lue or someone to try lure some more interest for Howard. I would LOVE to see Howard and J Smoove together, and then we draft Crittenton (Howard's good HS friend) at #11 and make a few tweaks, and this is a REAL BASKETBALL TEAM

Sothron, if any of these Gasol / Howard/ etc... trades were to happen, would you anticipate them being maybe at around 7 PM on draft night, right before the teams pick, or this week so the team receiving the #3 would have time to evaluate their options?

Thanks so much for all this insider info.

Quote:

I would offer Marvin + #3 + a future 2nd round pick or T. Lue or someone to try lure some more interest for Howard. I would LOVE to see Howard and J Smoove together, and then we draft Crittenton (Howard's good HS friend) at #11 and make a few tweaks, and this is a REAL BASKETBALL TEAM

somehow get randolph morris on the team and you get the exact same aau celtics team that dominated a few years back wink.gif

• Premium Member

Quote:

Sothron, if any of these Gasol / Howard/ etc... trades were to happen, would you anticipate them being maybe at around 7 PM on draft night, right before the teams pick, or this week so the team receiving the #3 would have time to evaluate their options?

Thanks so much for all this insider info.

I'm not Sothron, but I can tell you that the minute the Hawks pick a player at #3, there cap space is essentially gone.

What that means is that a trade involving the #3 will have to equal out salaries. I'd expect a trade *before* the pick.

• Premium Member

I expect a draft night trade if it were to happen. It might be after our pick as well. We could very well take someone at #3 just to turn around and have them switch ballcaps a few picks later.

I do not plan on turning the channel for the entire draft.

• Premium Member

Quote:

longstanding belief held here that MW is untouchable (A belief I also held). If BK is willing to trade MW than our trade options are truly vast.

LOL. That's ridiculous and you know it as well as I do.

It's one thing to trade Marvin for Andre Miller, it's another thing to trade him for one of the top3 marquis young bigs in the NBA, who also happens to have grown up in Atlanta, and has a world-class attitude.

Quote:

Agreed, I would also be willing to up the ante from just Marvin + #3 in order to get Howard in a Hawks uniform. I'd be more than happy to add a future 2nd round pick AND T Lue (or any other PG on our roster they'd like).

• Premium Member

I was told, specifically told, Marvin was a "sacred cow" to Knight and the FO after the ongoing fiasco of passing over Deron/Paul esp. after several owners wanted Deron only to have Knight ask them to trust him and to take Marvin instead.

However I was also told that if they could get some kind of can't miss deal then they would trade Marvin in a deal. I would argue that Dwight Howard is worth including Marvin and #3. I actually think it would be a great trade for both teams. The Magic frontcourt would be fixed for God only knows how many years with a Darko-Horford-Marvin lineup.

Quote:

Quote:

somehow get randolph morris on the team and you get the exact same aau celtics team that dominated a few years back wink.gif

Javaris did not play for the AAU-Celtics.

I mean, gosh, a starting 5 of Acie Law, Joe Johnson, Josh Childress, Josh Smith, and Dwight Howard? That team can definitely compete in the Eastern conference. Our bench would be awful, but that's something that can be addressed over time.

I have such a rigid view of BK's stubborn beliefs that it is truly surprising to me that he would offer MW in trade for Howard. My statements reflect BK's likely thoughts not my personal opinions about whether we should trade MW (I would offer him in the right deal and would without any doubt offer him for Howard).