Three-team deal with Garnett, Stoudemire cools

By Chad Ford

ESPN.com

(Archive)

Updated: June 27, 2007, 10:57 PM ET

Comment

Email

Print

The Minnesota Timberwolves' attempts to get a great deal for Kevin Garnett hit a major roadblock on Wednesday afternoon, sources told ESPN.com.

According to multiple sources, the Timberwolves have been talking to multiple teams about finding a third team to help facilitate a Garnett trade.

As ESPN.com reported on Tuesday evening, Minnesota was looking to acquire Atlanta's No. 3 and No. 11 picks in the draft along with several cap-friendly contracts from the Hawks and Phoenix Suns. To participate, Atlanta wanted Amare Stoudemire from Phoenix.

On Wednesday, sources say one of the Hawks owners vetoed a hypothetical deal for Stoudemire.

The Suns claim to have never had any direct contact with the Hawks about a deal. While they have shown strong interest in acquiring Garnett, the deal never reached a stage where they were asked by either team to give up Stoudemire and never offered him in a trade.

While teams like the Lakers and Suns will continue to pursue Garnett, and the Wolves seem intent on trading him, sources say that it's unlikely a deal goes down by the time of the draft.

The latest drama in the KG saga shows some of the perils of dealing with the Hawks -- arguably the most dysfunctional franchise in the league.

The Hawks ownership group, Atlanta Spirit LLC, is embroiled in a nasty lawsuit with former partner Steve Belkin. Belkin won a lawsuit against Atlanta Spirit LLC last summer and a judge ruled that he could buy out the owners of Atlanta Spirit and gain full ownership of the team. Atlanta Spirit is currently appealing the ruling.

In the meantime, Belkin holds some authority over the team. He can veto any trade or free agent signing that takes the team above the NBA salary cap. Several sources suggested that it was Belkin who vetoed the trade.

This fiasco isn't the only situation the Hawks are dealing with. Sources said that Hawks general manager Billy Knight is in a dispute with some of the Hawks owners over who to take at No. 3. Knight prefers Florida's Al Horford. Some in the Hawks ownership, including influential owner Michael Gearon Jr., want to draft Yi Jianlian out of China.

Guest Walter

Good grief this ownership thing is a disaster even if Belkin wasn't the reason the deal didn't or doesn't go through. I couldn't see Pheonix doing it anyhow, but...we absolutely suck.

I wonder seriously if the trade for AJ hasn't preculded this deal more than anything. Without AJ's cap hit (this year) would we have to worry about going over the salary cap by trading for Stoudamire?

W

Quote:

Three-team deal with Garnett, Stoudemire cools

By Chad Ford

ESPN.com

(Archive)

Updated: June 27, 2007, 10:57 PM ET

Comment

Email

Print

The Minnesota Timberwolves' attempts to get a great deal for Kevin Garnett hit a major roadblock on Wednesday afternoon, sources told ESPN.com.

According to multiple sources, the Timberwolves have been talking to multiple teams about finding a third team to help facilitate a Garnett trade.

As ESPN.com reported on Tuesday evening, Minnesota was looking to acquire Atlanta's No. 3 and No. 11 picks in the draft along with several cap-friendly contracts from the Hawks and Phoenix Suns. To participate, Atlanta wanted Amare Stoudemire from Phoenix.

On Wednesday, sources say one of the Hawks owners vetoed a hypothetical deal for Stoudemire.

The Suns claim to have never had any direct contact with the Hawks about a deal. While they have shown strong interest in acquiring Garnett, the deal never reached a stage where they were asked by either team to give up Stoudemire and never offered him in a trade.

While teams like the Lakers and Suns will continue to pursue Garnett, and the Wolves seem intent on trading him, sources say that it's unlikely a deal goes down by the time of the draft.

The latest drama in the KG saga shows some of the perils of dealing with the Hawks -- arguably the most dysfunctional franchise in the league.

The Hawks ownership group, Atlanta Spirit LLC, is embroiled in a nasty lawsuit with former partner Steve Belkin. Belkin won a lawsuit against Atlanta Spirit LLC last summer and a judge ruled that he could buy out the owners of Atlanta Spirit and gain full ownership of the team. Atlanta Spirit is currently appealing the ruling.

In the meantime, Belkin holds some authority over the team. He can veto any trade or free agent signing that takes the team above the NBA salary cap. Several sources suggested that it was Belkin who vetoed the trade.

This fiasco isn't the only situation the Hawks are dealing with. Sources said that Hawks general manager Billy Knight is in a dispute with some of the Hawks owners over who to take at No. 3. Knight prefers Florida's Al Horford. Some in the Hawks ownership, including influential owner Michael Gearon Jr., want to draft Yi Jianlian out of China.

this is exactly what chad said on the radio reading this pisses me off

Don't do the dans le merde based on something Chad Ford said.

It often helps to remember that he also said this:

“Darko really is one of a kind. He runs the floor, handles the ball, shoots an NBA three and plays with his back to the basket. So you can slot him at the 3, 4 or 5. Okay, a few other guys can do that too; what sets Darko apart is his toughness in the post. You’ve got to love a guy who has the footwork to spin by an opponent but still prefers to lower a shoulder and bang. Fact is, Milicic plays in attack mode at both ends of the floor. The more you push, the more he pushes back.”

Belkin is like my worst nightmare. We have a chance to get Joe Johnson, who I loved at the time and love even more now, and yet he trys to stop it.

Now we have a once in a lifetime chance to get an all-NBA center, 24 years-old, one of the most exciting players in the league, and he wants to veto the trade?

I pray this isn't true. If this is true, and Belkin wins the team, I will not watch the Hawks until he's gone.

Quote:

Belkin is like my worst nightmare. We have a chance to get Joe Johnson, who I loved at the time and love even more now, and yet he trys to stop it.

Now we have a once in a lifetime chance to get an all-NBA center, 24 years-old, one of the most exciting players in the league, and he wants to veto the trade?

I pray this isn't true. If this is true, and Belkin wins the team, I will not watch the Hawks until he's gone.

I'm with you. (No, I'm not stalking you from the AJC blogs, haha)

I will not stand for this injustice!! I am bringing a "Fans against Belkin" sign to the Philips Party.

• Moderators

No updates on the Court case. If anyone has any doubts about Belkin's priorities and that the actual team is almost irrelevant to them speak now.

Although there is tons of evidence of that outside this article, I will acknowledge discrediting the article as a legit reason for doubt.

For those who believe the article, there should be no doubt in their mind.

(For me, I don't necessarily credit the article but find it consistent with Belkin's actions.)