• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Things we learned last night.

Gray Mule

After "watching" last night's game, along with several

other posters here, on the homeboy radio station, we

learned some things. Mostly bad things.

But, first, the good. Horford may not be as terrible

as we were led to believe by some of his critics.

Take this optimism slowly, remembering that this IS

summer league.

Now, the rest of the news. We learned all this by the

radio broadcast. All the rest of the Hawks on our

summer league team are somewhere between bad and just

plainly terrible.

Shellhead is even worse than we thought and you know how

most posters feel already. Don't expect anything out

of him this season.

Acie Law IV is worse than any of the point guards that

are on our roster. Can't score because he can't hit

his shots. Apparently can't dribble because they stole

the ball from him. Took him 4 years in college to

become a prospect for the NBA. The other three draft

picks were much younger, better. Another failed pick

on Atlanta's part.

All this learned from a one sided radio broadcast.

On a side note, the announcers DID mention several

blocked shots - but failed to mention who on the

Hawks team was doing the blocking. We're left in

the dark on this.

(Please note: This was our first summer league game.

All we saw was thru the eyes of our opponent's men

on the radio. What did we expect? A blowout by

our team?)

One summer league game does not a season make. There

is still a long way to go before the all star break.

By then, we can really begin to see what this team

is all about. Let's not get too high (Hah! Us?)

or too low because of one radio broadcast.

GO HAWKS !!!!

crash.gif

Gray,

It's you who are passing judgement throughout the entire post on all the guys...then ending by saying it's still early???

So, I guess you also said that Greg Oden and Kevin Durant were failed picks because they bombed in their first game?...

I'm not really going to qualify all the player bashing in this post by taking up for each player..

What we KNOW is that this was the 1st professional game for most of these guys...having been there myself...most guys cannot control a little thing called "nerves" the 1st time.

Acie, Shelden, AL and Solomon will all be solid to maybe great(in some cases) NBA players for a long time...Give em' a chance to breathe will ya'

Quote:

Quote:

It's quite possible he was...

Definitley read like he was being serious...

Gray, If I took it wrongly...my apologies!
pillepalle.gif

That was heavily sarcastic for him.

It certainly took me by surprise too. Bravo!

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

It's quite possible he was...

Definitley read like he was being serious...

Gray, If I took it wrongly...my apologies!
pillepalle.gif

That was heavily sarcastic for him.

Of course he was being sarcastic! Horford played great and there were positive with both Shelden and Law. We found out that Horfort was every bit the low post scorer that we thought he was when we drafted him. Shelden's strength is still rebounding. Law's assist to t.o. ratio >2. I wonder would there be as much doom and gloom if we had won by 1 pillepalle.gif

Read all the posts from last night's game thread.

It's all there. Bashing our Hawks has evolved to

a fine art. And this from "watching" one game on

the home boy radio station of our opponent.

Sarcastic?? Who could help it after reading some of

the gloom and doom things either said or implied

last night.

stirthepot.gif

You who have followed my ramblings here for years know

that I am the eternal optimist. I sincerely believe

this year's Hawk team will be the best we've had in many

years.

Horford will be a very good player in the NBA. The

Landlord will be solid. After recovering from his injury,

we caught a glimpse of what he is capable of.

They didn't give the Bob Cousey to Acie Law IV JUST

BECAUSE he was a four year player. He earned it

because of the outstanding year he had.

eheheh.gif

GO HAWKS!!!!

Funny stuff Gray. The announcers were saying all the calls were going for the Jazz. I wonder how much of that effected Law's game. They were also saying that Law's shot was not there last night but he was in control. Shots come and go. That's the last thing I am worried about Law. Horford, from what I heard, showed special skills.

My friend at the game told me not to be so down on Acie Law. He did look like he was playing under control and played great D, it's just that his shot wasn't falling.

Hopefully we'll see better from him, but the fact remains: I don't trust BK, and Chill and Shelden have been a bit of a dissapointment, and Law is another guy in that mold, meaning that he was a "mature" player with a great rep as a college player but not as an NBA prospect.

Of course, it's not fair to judge Law based on one game, but my opinion isn't based on this game....I was just hoping I'd see some signs that I was wrong about him, and so far Stuckey, the guy I wanted, is dominating SL and Law struggled his first game. So I'm a little frustrated, but I'm still in Law's corner.

As for Shelden, we had an entire season to judge him, and what we saw last season wasn't pretty. And I was told he didn't look any better yesterday than he did as a rookie at the SL. So we'll see...he had some production last night at least, but it was ugly once again.

Quote:

Hopefully we'll see better from him, but the fact remains: I don't trust BK, and Chill and Shelden have been a bit of a dissapointment, and Law is another guy in that mold, meaning that he was a "mature" player with a great rep as a college player but not as an NBA prospect.

Trusting BK has nothing to do with trusting Law. Law is his own self, BK has nothing to do with how good Law will become. Just by watching, it's easy to see that Law is a leader, and has a great desire to be a good player.

I don't see how Law being "mature" has anything to do with him not being a good prospect. That's really a horrible example, and there are hundreds of players who played 4 years in college and turned out great. He's bigger than the average PG in the NBA, has a good shot and handles, is a great leader and can take over a game.

Quote:

My friend at the game told me not to be so down on Acie Law. He did look like he was playing under control and played great D, it's just that his shot wasn't falling.

Of course, it's not fair to judge Law based on one game, but my opinion isn't based on this game....I was just hoping I'd see some signs that I was wrong about him, and so far Stuckey, the guy I wanted, is dominating SL and Law struggled his first game. So I'm a little frustrated, but I'm still in Law's corner.

As for Shelden, we had an entire season to judge him, and what we saw last season wasn't pretty. And I was told he didn't look any better yesterday than he did as a rookie at the SL. So we'll see...he had some production last night at least, but it was ugly once again.

Didnt you say last night that your friend said Shelden played well???

And again, Law is not going to have trouble scoring in the NBA. I'd be much more worried about him if he scored 20, but only 1-2 assists and a few TOs.

The Jazz RealGM board is saying that Law played great last night. Same with Al.

They say Shelden was solid, not great. They say they expected more from him since he had already been there. I think it was just a matter of his shot not falling(5-15) just like Law.

Quote:

As for Shelden, we had an entire season to judge him, and what we saw last season wasn't pretty.

let's see...

1) he was top-5 ROY candidate first 2 months and lead rookies in rebounding

2) he was then injured most of the year

3) he won Rookie of the Month as a Center the final month of the year when he finally got rid of the shoulder wrap

sure it wasn't ALL-WORLD or anything; but not ugly either...he showed he's gonna be a double-double machine for the next 10 years

Quote:

Quote:

And again, Law is not going to have trouble scoring in the NBA. I'd be much more worried about him if he scored 20, but only 1-2 assists and a few TOs.

No...I said that my friend thought Shelden was as bad as ever. It's not hard to find, just scroll up a bit until you find the post. He was very excited about how Horford played and very discouraged by Shelden, just because everything looks so difficult for Shelden out there even when he does something well.

Anyway, you're right that not trusting BK has nothing to do with Law really, except that once again BK reached for the most "NBA ready" or "mature" player available at a position of need, instead of going for talent.

Part of the reason Law played 4 years in college is that he wasn't seen as a legit NBA prospect until his senior season. Stuckey, on the other hand, was bigger, longer, quicker, faster, and more athletic than Law, plus he is apparently just as skilled, and I believe that will make him a better NBA player than Law.

Shelden was a reach last year for us under similar circumstances, and he didn't fix anything for us - in fact, Millsap would have been the better pick for us, and I think the Stuckey/Law situation will turn out similar to Millsap/Shelden, where one guy gets overlooked because he played for a smaller school.

But to be clear, I'm praying that I'm absolutely wrong, and if Law is a massive success I'll be extremely happy. I'm just hoping, for my own personal sanity, that Law will show us some of that maturity and experience and talent and leadership in the SL and maybe try making some shots tonight.

As I've said somewhere else, my friend called me and told me not to get so upset about Law, that Law looked a lot better than the box score suggests. He's not really worried about him.

My opinion is basically the same as it was before the draft, which was that Law won't be an impact player at PG for us anytime soon.

I hope I'm wrong, though, and that's the main reason I'm upset by his 3-13 shooting performance, along with Stuckey scoring 45 points so far in his first two games: I'm just tired of disagreeing with BK's picks, then watching them suck in the SL, then watching them have disappointing rookie years.

It's happened so many times before that I feel a little gun shy....what's wrong with wanting a guy to have a good summer league every once in a while?

Quote:

sure it wasn't ALL-WORLD or anything; but not ugly either

did you watch the games?

UGLY is a good word to describe how he plays.

He can put up double-doubles but he NEVER looks good doing it.

Also, sometimes I feel he can get 10-10, but can be responsible for an opposing player getting 18-12.

Ugly production is his thing.

Quote:

Quote:

sure it wasn't ALL-WORLD or anything; but not ugly either

did you watch the games?

UGLY is a good word to describe how he plays.

He can put up double-doubles but he NEVER looks good doing it.

Also, sometimes I feel he can get 10-10, but can be responsible for an opposing player getting 18-12.

Ugly production is his thing.

yes, i did

and i don't care how he LOOKS doing it; i just care that he gets it done

and even WITH his INJURY most of the year, he still had a POSITIVE defensive impact...teams scored more on us when he was on bench than when in game...so he HELPED our defense

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No...I said that my friend thought Shelden was as bad as ever. It's not hard to find, just scroll up a bit until you find the post. He was very excited about how Horford played and very discouraged by Shelden, just because everything looks so difficult for Shelden out there even when he does something well.

Anyway, you're right that not trusting BK has nothing to do with Law really, except that once again BK reached for the most "NBA ready" or "mature" player available at a position of need, instead of going for talent.

Part of the reason Law played 4 years in college is that he wasn't seen as a legit NBA prospect until his senior season. Stuckey, on the other hand, was bigger, longer, quicker, faster, and more athletic than Law, plus he is apparently just as skilled, and I believe that will make him a better NBA player than Law.

Shelden was a reach last year for us under similar circumstances, and he didn't fix anything for us - in fact, Millsap would have been the better pick for us, and I think the Stuckey/Law situation will turn out similar to Millsap/Shelden, where one guy gets overlooked because he played for a smaller school.

But to be clear, I'm praying that I'm absolutely wrong, and if Law is a massive success I'll be extremely happy. I'm just hoping, for my own personal sanity, that Law will show us some of that maturity and experience and talent and leadership in the SL and maybe try making some shots tonight.

You sound a bit obcessive!