• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is Craig Biggio a HOFer? What about 1st ballot?

Admin

I will be the first to admit that I am not a big Astros fan, although I will go watch a game from time to time since it's the only baseball in town but they have been talking a lot lately, especially this morning about whether or not Biggio is a HOFer and more specifically is he a 1st ballot guy?

Tony Gwynn was on the local radio station this morning talking about his upcoming induction and he says that he would vote for Biggio but personally I'm not sure that I would. Biggio has been fortunate to stay relatively healthy for his whole career and has gotten to play for 1 team without being pushed by any quality young guys to replace him in the later years.

He has been a great defensive player for much of his career, has 3k hits, I'm pretty sure he is near the top of the charts in doubles and has always played the game the right way. Plus he is the all time leader in being hit by pitches which is probably underrated.

To me he is a HOFer, but not a 1st ballot guy like Gwynn. Thoughts?

I agree that he will make it, but I'd like to add the following as a point against him.

His HBP totals seem to be something glorified by the media (and something he is also proud of.) There is an unenforced rule on the books that says that you are out if you do not make an attempt to get out of the way of a pitch. Clearly, Biggio makes less of an attempt than other players, or he's just extremely slow to react. HBP should be a function of the pitcher, not of the batter (primarily in this age of body armor.) Biggio can certainly make the HOF on the merits, but I'm tired of seeing his "HBP 'record'" portrayed as a legitimate one.

True, it is probably not something that he should be proud of, but as a fan I can appreciate someone who is willing to be hit by the ball and although they use lots of armor these days (ahem Barry) to protect themselves and the inside of the plate Biggio has been getting hit long before body armor became such a regular thing.

My only real issue against him is that he was fortunate to be able to play for one team for his whole career and even more so that the Astros have never tried to bring in anyone with any real talent to push him for his position so he has been able to get by with mediocre play more often than he probably should have. In fact I remember the Astros were going to let him go 3-4 years ago but he was able to stick around somehow and they just haven't tried to find a replacement for him.

I do think that if he played in more of the national spotlight for the Yankees, Red Sox, etc. he would be a sure fire HOF player but because of playing for the Astros all these years and not being a power guy he isn't nearly as well known by the casual baseball fan as a Tony Gwynn or Cal Ripken or other similar players.

ballot. I don't think there is any way he played as long as he did without playing through some significant injuries/pain and he gets points from me for that. I also think that the 3,000 hits alone put him in pretty rare company - no matter how long he played to get them. Throw in the number of doubles and the defense and I'd put him in - just not first ballot.

The whole 1st ballot, 2nd ballot, stuff is stupid. If a guy is getting in, then what difference should it make? I'll be very happy when the old geezers stop voting. I'm sick of hearing about old timers not getting in on the 1st ballot, so such and such should'nt get in. Craig Biggio is a hall of famer, and he deserves to get in on the 1st ballot.

It makes a huge difference because each time a guy doesn't get in his chances get lower and lower after a certain point. Probably not after the first time but for sure after the 2nd time. I have to agree with the poster who referred to Ryno and him not getting in on the first ballot. If he couldn't get in on the 1st ballot then I doubt Biggio will either.

• Moderators

Quote:

It makes a huge difference because each time a guy doesn't get in his chances get lower and lower after a certain point. Probably not after the first time but for sure after the 2nd time. I have to agree with the poster who referred to Ryno and him not getting in on the first ballot. If he couldn't get in on the 1st ballot then I doubt Biggio will either.

That said re Sandberg, there is no question he should have been a first ballot guy, IMO. Just because they screwed it up with him doesn't mean they should do that with others. I agree that there is no reason to make people take a lap if they deserve to be elected into the HOF just for some notion that no one should go in on the first ballot.