• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is Childress better starting at SF or 6th man?

TexasPete

Josh Childress is the quintessential 6th man, IMO. He brings energy to the game when coming off the bench, and he plays his role. He's a solid perimeter defender who can give you offense as well. Overall, he does a lot of things very well on the court, but there isn't one aspect of his game that really stands out.

Plus, I think his versatility serves better in the 6th man role. He can spell Joe Johnson at shooting guard and Marvin Williams at small forward. He is a very valuable member of this team as a 6th man.

I admit that I wondered what he would be if he were a starter at points during the season last year, but overall, I think he's a great 6th man.

I just think it's great to have options. Right now Childress is the primary SG backup (lineup flaw, but it is what it is), but if Marvin struggles we have a great option to slide into the starting spot.

If Horford proves to be a complete bad ass at PF and Zaza proves strong at C, Smith could slide into SF, and Marvin and Childress could both come off the bench.

We have a lot of tension on this board about starting positions, but we don't seem to be appreciative of the way these young talents have responded to the minutes they've been given and the roles they're expected to play for the team.

If Salim is not the backup 2 for whatever reason, then we need a better backup 2.

Chill is certainly no SG, not even close. He can't guard the 2, can't create his own shot, and doesn't have the overall handles. I have always thought Salim was the backup 2, instant offense off the bench. But Woody has a real Woody for him for some reason. If Salim's defense improved along with his attitude, why isn't he our backup 2?

Salim will leave ATL and light it up off somebody's bench. With the right situation he would be dangerous.

The interesting thing is that Marvin's stock is rising with the board since the preseason began. The other poll is even favoring him as the team's second option, although I'm not sure I buy that one.

Even though we all know the preseason doesn't mean much, apparently Marvin's consistent numbers look like they are winning over the board.

If he has a solid first month I think we are on to something.