• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Stotts future?

PoppaFritz

Just curious what the latest news was regarding the Hawks head coaching situation next year.

After watching all of the playoff teams this year I can't help but think it's time to get some life into this organization. I know it's the playoffs and the games, players and coaches are naturally more intense but I can't think of more than a couple times all season that I ever saw Stotts or one of our top players get after a teammate for missing a defensive rotation or any type of mental lapse. Yet, I've seen it numerous times during these playoffs, from the top coaches and players in the NBA. The leadership that these Coaches and players show by expecting nothing less than perfection is something missing from the Hawks. It starts with Stotts, he is just too passive for this team. I don't want to say that it is entirely his fault because the players have to take some ownership in this team. But, there were numerous games this year where the Hawks would make a poor rotation defensively or not make a play because of effort and Stotts would just sit there with his hands in his pockets and a smirk on his face like he had no control over what was happening.

This team might not respond to a more vocal coach but that's half the problem, this team needs to toughen up mentally. I was watching the Mavs-Blazers game and Don Nelson was chewing everybody's rear-end and Dirk and Nash were getting after Najera and other role players if they would miss a defensive assignment. I thought it was great! You could tell they were not only putting forth the effort themselves but they were making sure these mistakes didn't happen again. I think the same can be said for Kobe and Phil or Iverson and Larry Brown, they expect a lot of themselves and their teammates.

Maybe the Hawks just don't have those type of personalities but if they continue to float through next year like they did this season they won't be seeing the playoffs, again.

IMO, this starts with Stotts and I think we need to look at other alternatives.

• Premium Member

It's hard to say.

When you get to the Playoffs, it's a different game. It's win or go home. Look at Marbury. He doesn't normally play with so much emotion as he does now.

However, I agree, that we have a need for a more vocal coach! Stotts is too laid back. We need somebody who would get fired up like Jerry Sloan and Larry Brown. However, looking at who will be available, I think Fratello is our best bet. We also need Tough Players. If we could trade Theo for Davis/Randolph... It would help.

I think as this year goes forward, there will be some fire sells.

1. NEW ORLEANS = Fire Sell.

I think they will start by blaming the coach. However, there's also going to besome players blamed...I think Mashburn could possible end up being trade bait because he is injury prone. PJ Brown also because he's just a defensive player. Look out for Moiso.

2. Portland = Fire Sell.

It's not that they aren't good. It's that they can't win a playoff series. Mighty Mouse is up for sell... However, who wants him. They have questions about their gaurds. McInnis, Daniels are both Free Agents. Anderson is there but I'm not sure that he's staying as PG if Pippen is not playing? I think Bonzi has penciled in his name as the future at SG. There will be a lot of good players to get from PTL. PLUS, Rasheed Wallace might be moved as well.

3. Milwaukee = Sell.

With Milwaukee, if they can't move past NJ, there will be interest in moving some of their players. Tim Thomas and Anthony Mason comes to mind. I think they will look for a trade for Thomas. Teams that are looking to become more Athletic will be interested. There may be room for a threeway here...

Grob to NY, Spreewell to Milwaukee, Thomas/Filler to us. Depending on the filler, this deal might work for us. I'm thinking D. Mason... But the Knicks might find a way to get Cassell out of a deal with Milwaukee... Namely Cassell/Thomas for Spreewell/Thomas?

4. Mavericks.

I think one more trip to the drawing board will be done this season. I think they will try to come up with a way to get a defensive C like Theo.

5. New Jersey.

Has to do something with Deke. Everybody is worried about the departure of Kidd. Of all the playoff teams, I think this one will change the most. Sad part is that once Kidd is gone, the identity of this team will radically change. They have some players that Suck and make a lot. If they can get Toni Parker, they will probably need a big SG.

Non Playoff teams.

1. The Knicks.

Depending on McDyess, the Knicks could be a huge fire sell team.

2. The Heat.

They will definitely look for a trade of Eddie Jones/Grant. I think that Pat Riley will Rebuild, but not with NEW Rookies, but with New young guys who have proven themselves somewhat. Look for a deal with PTL? PTL would love Grant Back and Riley would like a shot at Rasheed, but it would probably take Butler too?? There's also a possible deal with Memphis. I could see Riley wanting to get Swift and even Olowakhandi.

3. Houston.

Right now, they would do most anything to get a SF in there. I think they are willing to part with Rice and Griffin for the right SF. I think that they will also try to spend some money on Odom?

4. Clipps.

They have too Many FAs. Sterling probably wants more young players. I look for more deals for either Rookies or 1st year players.

5. Memphis.

West is starting to mold this team. The question is, does he want Kobe? If so, a trade of Swift, Miller, and possible Gasol could be a start. Just imagine a 2004 team of Shaq, Swift, Gasol, Miller, and a PG (Gary Payton)?

6. The Bulls...

Either Crawford or Williams should be traded. Fizer should be traded. Rose, might be traded.

The changing of the gaurd from Krause to Paxon means that things will be done a little differently. I think Paxon will re-evaluate things and doesn't have to make good of Krause's picks.

7. The Raptors...

They will be looking to get Vince some help. I say, look to Jersey.

I am going to have to disagree a little. I think, given time, Stotts will expect way more from our players. I really hope we will allow him to have a FULL year, pre-season and season, to prove himself. I also feel we should give him more control of what the team looks like player-wise.

As for intensity in players, Jason Terry can be, if given the right situation. Give him the full reign of Captain/Floor General with the right players (for me, the team we have minus Dog) without a huge change that he has to adjust to (trade for role-players, NOT stars) and he will prove himself worthy.

Stotts and maybe SAR need to sit down with him and tell him that he is the man. They need to tell him that he could be and should be an Iverson-type player. I mean, if Terry were to shoot as much or show as much intensity and leadership as Iverson... That is to say, I don't want him to be Iverson, I want him to open up his game and have complete control like Iverson has. I want Jason Terry to be a household name. He could be, and should be, an all-star. Sorry about the rambling, I just feel the same about Terry as I did with players like Smitty and Wilkens.

Other than Terry, I don't see anyone else having that intensity. Maybe if he opens up, we'll see more from everyone. If DJ can make it back, maybe he'll be a spark.

1)N.O.- i can see them trading Mashburn. His trade value is high, hes an allstar... the only problem is that he cant stay healhty when it comes to playoff time.

i wouldnt mind going after him, at the right price of course.

I would consider RATLIFF + SCRUBS/PICKS but nothing more.

2)Portland- Mighty Mouse has always been on the trading block... but no one is bidding, or not seriously looking at him. They could trade anyone... exception for maybe Randolph + Wallace (unless one of those "too good to be true" trade occurs).

3)Bucks got really good Guards. Cassell, Payton, Mason, Redd? PT is an issue and i see some of them (1-2 of them getting traded or somehow off the team next year to address other needs- like BIG MEN).

4)IMO Mavs will likely stay put (granted they go somewhat far in the playoffs... hopefully conference finals?) with the exception of 1 trade or so. They would LOVE to have Ratliff but who would they give us? What about FINLEY? Would u do it? Didnt MAVS play well down the stretch w/o Finley? Is he washed up? or is he still the poormans MJ (which isint bad)?

5)NJ- Kidd wants NJ to worry about the playoffs and playoffs only. He never verbally commited to NJ but just insists that the fans stay calm. IMO, he will bolt if the NETS do not go to the conference finals. Deke is out of there... he wants starting minutes and NJ doesnt want to give it to him.

I'd like Finley. I always thought he was a good, potentially great, player. If there could be a way to get them to also take Dog in the trade, I'm betting Nelson wouldn't have a problem benching him, and Cuban has the money.

Finley, LaFrentz & filler for Theo & Dog

JT/DD

Finley/Glover

Newble/DJ

SAR/Hendu

LaFrentz/Nazr

Looks pretty good