• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

We missed ZaZa Tonite.

bumpyphish1

I never thought I would hear myself say that.

We seriously missed him and had to play Shelden in spots where he normally wouldn't play. I think from here on out either Zaza or Horford will have to be in the game at all times if possible.

Shelden tried, but he just doesn't have it I think. He needs to learn to hit that jumper, too!

Quote:

uh did you watch the game tonight? Shelden is one of the main reasons we won!

Shelden pulled down some boards, sure. Boards any big man should pull down. He is still too tentative, too p*ssy. He couldn't knock down open jumpers that got set up for him. He couldnt go 2-2 at the foul line when we needed him to.

Like I said, he did a decent job tonite. He is also very lucky not to have been exposed.

That's like, my opinion, man.

I respect your opinion, but I have to disagree as well. Shelden was a perfect fit because he rebounds and plays defense, and doesn't need to score to boost his ego. With Smooth out there taking bad shots like he did in the second half (great first half though), Zaza would just add another guy that tries to do too much offensively. Great win, Philips was electric tonight.

Quote:

I respect your opinion, but I have to disagree as well. Shelden was a perfect fit because he rebounds and plays defense, and doesn't need to score to boost his ego. With Smooth out there taking bad shots like he did in the second half (great first half though), Zaza would just add another guy that tries to do too much offensively. Great win, Philips was electric tonight.

My thoughts exactly. Shelden was good tonight. We really need a trade. Zaza will be in the way.

Quote:

okay, well then, yay Shelden!

It's nothing personal. I found myself wanting it to be Al (or Zaza) every time I saw Shelden in there.

I'll admit I was a bit of a Shelden backer at draft time...but that was primarily in comparison to the 7 footer from Bradley (who was recently released - can't think of his name).

I've been disappointed in Shelden too - but he looks much more like the guy we saw at the end of last year - as compared to the guy in the shoulder support earlier in the season.

Now don't take that as a dis on Horford. Horford is obviously superior in an athletic game. Bigger and faster and runs the court and elevates more. Still, I see Shelden as a very solid asset this year...this isn't likely the only time Horford will get into foul trouble.

IMO Shelden went a long way to gaining Woody's confidence tonight. He wasn't blocking out Mehmet Okur. Diop is a physical monster.

That's why there is no way this team misses the playoffs if they stay healthy.

We weren't even at full strength and we were sloppy not being used to this offense and we still played better than any Hawks team I've seen in the last 4 years.

It's not that Shelden played bad, but he hurt us being the backup 5 because of lack of size and offense in the deep post.

We know Zaza can score. Zaza was our 2nd leading scorer vs starters a couple years ago. SO you know he can beat bench guys.

We will have the best big man rotation in the league if Zaza/Horford/Shelden stay healthy

Imagine if Solo developed?

Scary thing is how young all those guys are

His toughness and physical play was a big reason that we won the game. Yes, he missed a couple of opportunites to convert underneath on the offensive end but he more than made up for that by limiting Dallas' 2nd shot opportunites. We had a 52-38 rebounding edge despite DAL starting 2 7 footers. I would like to see Shelden convert a little better on the offensive end but if he gives the effort he gave last night on a nightly basis, I will be VERY happy.

As for Zaza's scoring, it may have helped, but I think

Shelden's D and rebounding had more of an impact than Z's scoring would have. We scored 101 points.

Don't get me wrong, I think we will need Z and need him to play well this season, I just think that Shelden had more of an impact on last night's game than he would have.

Quote:

Shelden pulled down some boards, sure. Boards any big man
should
pull down.

Keyword "should". You are completely underrating rebounding which is one of the most important stats in basketball. Giving up an offensive rebound is a turnover, period. Every time you don't get a defensive rebound, it's 100% a turnover. Rebounding is as important as anything.