• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Erazem Lorbek to enter draft

HawkTodd

Lorbek enters NBA draft. (5-9-03)

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/gen/wire?messageId=16195601

EAST LANSING, Mich. (AP) _ Michigan State forward Erazem Lorbek will enter the NBA draft and skip his final three seasons with the Spartans.

Lorbek, a native of Slovenia, announced the decision Friday. He has signed with an agent and cannot return to college basketball. The NBA draft is June 26.

``When I came home, my dad brought up the idea,'' Lorbek said. ``I thought about it a lot. He talked to people. And I thought it was a good idea. My dad and agent think I can go somewhere in the first round.''

The 6-foot-10, 240-pound Lorbek was a primary reason the Spartans surprised so many people in the NCAA tournament, averaging 11.5 points and 5.3 rebounds in four games. Michigan State beat Florida, Colorado and Maryland before losing to Texas in the East Regional final.

Overall, Lorbek averaged 6.4 points and 3.3 rebounds. He was second on the team in field-goal percentage at .534.

Coach Tom Izzo said he was happy for Lorbek, but appeared upset during a news conference.

Izzo said he felt, ``frustrated, disappointed. ... That's the way it is. I don't really have a big opening statement.''