• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Acie outplayed Nash in the first quarter

jerrywest

Ya, Law got his 4th foul with 9:30 left in the 3rd quarter. We were up by 6 points at that time.

You are right on..........once Law left with foul trouble Nash heated up.

The people who say Law can't play defense are just clueless !

Lue is the one who can't play defense.

Law also made 2 sweet passes. The interior penetration where the D collapsed on him leaving Chills forthe dunk...then the pass to JJ on the break, JJ could not dunk it and missed the layup. At leat he got 2 foul shots out of it.

Hi passing and foul issues will improve by the game as he gets his feet wet. He has his toe in the water now........how long before he goes under all the way ?

Quote:

Not really. He dribbled across half court and passed to JJ last night. JJ got 10 assists. The ball was never in his hands long enough for him to create, but I expect that to change as he gets acclimated.

He is mostly used as a penetrator. While penetrating, he has to start finding Marvin/JJ for jumpers (similar to Smoove) to pile up assist numbers.

Quote:

Law has only 4 assists in 4 games. What is up with that. That is a reason for concern I would think.

Don't forget that those 4 games are his first 4 games in the NBA.

and as Horford gets comfortable in the post and controls his happy feet there will be alot of "easy assist" to be had by feeding Horford in the paint. Then if Smoove continues improving his post moves Law or any PG will have it easy.

They are both on the same time line. When both Horford & Law get comfortable we are really going to be something special. I hope that can happen by the All Star Break. That might be asking for a lot but I think with the expierence on each on their resumes that they improve quicker then most rookies in their first year.

• Admin

I have been watching him closely and he has made some nice passes but he is playing more like an off guard then a pg. I hope he becomes more of a playmaker. He needs to learn to set the tempo and he also needs to learn that he can penetrate and dish. However, this is only his 4th game. Hopfully that comes. I really would like this team to have a true playmaker and I hope Acie can be that.

If you watch Nash out there...he is just awesome. He didn't start looking for his shot until it was obvious that the rest of his team was hitting anything. Even then he still managed to get 11 assists. He is just a great player who knows how to make his team better and when the team isn't playing well he can put it on his back and carry it.

Quote:

I have been watching him closely and he has made some nice passes but he is playing more like an off guard then a pg. I hope he becomes more of a playmaker.

It seems like he was ordered to take the ball up court and give it to someone.

His main task is to play defense, to wait for someone to pass him for a jumper or make a penetration if the defense isn't set.

If the defense is set, he isn't allowed to do much.

Quote:

Any one remember seeing J.S. around the three point line,

guarding their P.G.? And, stealing the ball!!

Dang. Hawks are a versitile bunch!!

bannana_guitar.gif

Yes. Josh sealed the game with his perimeter defense on Nash. Perimeter defense wasn't his strength. We got to make a list of all the new skills our players picked up this summer. I guess they don't really need a coach.

His main task is to play defense, to wait for someone to pass him for a jumper or make a penetration if the defense isn't set.

I agree with that. Seems Woody is trying to play Law while at the same time shelter him from asking too much too soon and stunting his growth.

That is not the way Law plays naturally. Trust me when I say that this not how Law wants to play either. Law controlled everyting at Texas A&M. He, like Nash, did not look to score alot for himself unless his team was cold. Now he does not have Kidd/Nash type passing ability but he does have good passing ability. He has that 6th sense and it will show itself. He is doing as he is told right now. Hey its working and those true PG attributes will be evident soon enough.

Patience is so hard !

Quote:

Any one remember seeing J.S. around the three point line,

guarding their P.G.? And, stealing the ball!!

Dang. Hawks are a versitile bunch!!

bannana_guitar.gif

Good point, I didn't notice how often Smith was doing it until Smitty mentioned it and pointed it out on a replay that Josh's length and defensive jump outs were giving Nash trouble.

I will say this. It much easier to coach young players to play defense andhigh energy basketball then it is to get young players toplay in a true offensive system.

Quote:

I agree with that. Seems Woody is trying to play Law while at the same time shelter him from asking too much too soon and stunting his growth.

That is not the way Law plays naturally. Trust me when I say that this not how Law wants to play either. Law controlled everyting at Texas A&M. He, like Nash, did not look to score alot for himself unless his team was cold. Now he does not have Kidd/Nash type passing ability but he does have good passing ability. He has that 6th sense and it will show itself. He is doing as he is told right now. Hey its working and those true PG attributes will be evident soon enough.

Patience is so hard !

6th sense. You can sense that he has it, but right now he is allowed to use 1 sense only. Suffocated.