• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Stephon Marbury

Rexhawk

Quote:

i doubt the knicks buy his contract out but if they do then we need to waive AJ and bring hi in immediately. i don't care what kind of attitude problem he has, if he gives us half of the production he gives new york, would be in the playoffs in no time.

I agree. He couldn't be worse than Lue. At least JJ would trust him. Besides he'd easily pay for himself with the extra interest generated among Georgia Tech fans. Who knows may be Atlnata will light a fire in him, reminding him of his glorious days here. If he creates trouble we could always waive him since he will cost next to nothing. Nothing to lose everything to gain.

The only concern/question is "how many games it will take before Smoove body slams him?"

Quote:

And that would be Starbury's first time in the playoffs in 10 years in the league. Why would we want this pass-first PG to deter Law's development?

I think Law will become an all-star but I don't mind him playing 18 mpg behind a real & experienced PG who might increase our probability of making the playoffs a lot.

Agreed. But we're not talking about Kidd, Billups or Nash. Any player who is so useless that his team is willing to pay him to leave is not likely a role model. Any player who has 10 years of NBA experience without a playoff appearance is not likely the "missing piece" to a playoff birth. And any player whose reputation is much bigger than his production, is not likely the kind of player we need to put in a locker room with younger guys still trying to find their way.

Quote:

marbury has never made the playoffs...now he's older and less productive and u think he's finally gonna make it by coming to atlanta?

we don't need or want him

Its not about whether he's better than before. It's about whether he is better than Lue/AJ/Craig.

We got little to lose and much to gain.

He got a career assist average of 7.9.

You said he never made the playoffs. Actually, he made the playoffs 4 times and the last time he went to the playoffs (in May-2004), with the terrible New York team, he averaged 21.3 points and 6.5 assists. I don't think Lue or Craig can beat half of that. His ppg in regular season is down 25% since then and apg is down 15%.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/stephon_marb...reer_stats.html

In case he goes free, signing him is a no brainer.

Quote:

Agreed. But we're not talking about Kidd, Billups or Nash. Any player who is so useless that his team is willing to pay him to leave is not likely a role model. Any player who has 10 years of NBA experience without a playoff appearance is not likely the "missing piece" to a playoff birth. And any player whose reputation is much bigger than his production, is not likely the kind of player we need to put in a locker room with younger guys still trying to find their way.

Again he went to 4 playoff. He is no Rahim. His career playoff average is 19.4 pts and 6.7 assists. Isn't that better than Lue?

Of course he has problems. Otherwise a player of his skills wouldn't be available.

It's not like we are signing a $5 mill guy. He'll get next to nothing and easily bring in tons of GTech fans to pay for himself. We can always waive him if he creates trouble.

Much to gain and little to lose. Low risk high income potential. What else do you want?

Quote:

Here is my prediction:

If the Knicks get rid of Marbury they will go to the playoffs.

If the Knicks keep Marbury they will not go to the playoffs.

If the Hawks sign Marbury there will be an explosion in the locker room.

Here is my prediction.

Whether Knicks keep Marbury or not, they won't go to the playoffs. They have a dysfunctional team.

If we get Marbury, our probability of making the playoffs increases significantly.

Letting someone go is not just about attitude, the Knicks want to give Nate Robinson the reigns ... you're reasoning is flawed because the same rumors about Marbury are happening about Eric Snow, the perfect example of a professional, coach on the court type guy. Teams just get rid of previous starters to usher in a new era and decrease uncertainty. Look at the Jaguars with Leftwich.

Law isn't quite ready and everyone else the Hawks have at PG are awful. Marbury will at least be able to run a fast paced offense. I think the concerns of him taking a team to the playoffs would also be decreased because we wouldn't be paying him the ridiculous salary he's had for his entire career. When a guy has one of the biggest contracts in the NBA, it's tough to get solid players around him, which explains a lot of Garnett's problems in Minny.

Quote:

Law isn't quite ready and everyone else the Hawks have at PG are awful.

I couldn't agree more. Thats our dilemma. And until we get a PG with experience that the players respect were toast. If we could get a one or two year rental I would do it. Law will be fine but he isn't an instant impact PG like a CP3 or Deron. That's the problem with the draft last year...Conley, Critt, and Law all need some time. Law was the most ready and can play OK but he isn't ready now.

And I'm sick and tired of waiting till next year.