• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Would you take Steve Smith?

Diesel

• Premium Member

It's no secret that Smith has said he'd like to finish his career here and possibly move up to the front office. Well, his long contract is over this year. He might end up with the label NBA Champion in the end of this year.

My question, is would you take a Steve Smith?

What's known is that coming into this offseason, the only gaurd we will have under contract is Dickau.

JT/Glover are restricted FAs.

DJ is a FA.

Ira is a FA.

Email is a FA

Who gets your nod?

The other question is:

Both Kenny Anderson and Jacque Vaughn has mentioned Playing in Atlanta.

So my big followup...

With Anderson, Smith, and Vaughn being free agents, would you take either one? Why or why not. AND WHO WOULD your Gaurds (PG/SGs) be for this coming season?

As described in the recent oration over at RealGM, I think that JT will be back, at least playing out his fifth year if he doesn't want to accept a "undermarket" deal for his services longterm.

I would like to have Slim back, because he still represents a lot of potential and could be had on the cheap.

Dion would be nice, but depending on what we do in the draft, Dion may be a luxury, even at the qualifying offer (about 1.7 mil).

I believe that this year Ira will get the three year deal he is looking for, but it won't be from the Hawks. Hey, if Greg Buckner can get 6 years from someone, Ira will get his modest 3 yr, 10 mil deal somewhere. And that's too much for the Hawks, who can't afford to pay for luxuries yet.

So now, on to the vets:

Smitty would be ideal in that he would bring the experience needed to give the young guys more of an example to grow on. I wouldn't envision him being a part of the rotation, but more of a 12th man.

KA would be nice if we didn't have JT here, in that Kenny could start while Dickau grows into the role (if he can), and we would get the benefit of a veteran playmaker at the point.

The Magic can keep Jacque Vaughn. Again, D will disagree, but the guy doesn't make plays consistently enough to be starting PG. He is a dependable backup, sturdy enough to look the part of the floor leader, but too often for my tastes he does nothing. His grit and hustle disguises his lack of production, IMO. Bottom line: We've been there, done that.

I would like to see this:

PG: Terry

Dickau

SG: Johnson

Draft pick/FA/Glover (Dion only if we can't secure a better option through the draft or FA/trade)

Smitty

Man, that looks weak. We haven't addressed our ballhandling at all, and a guy who missed the entire season is my starting SG.

We definately need a ballhandling SG in the mix, be it through the draft, FA, or trade.

Keep KA's number nearby, give it a ring if we can't do any of the above at SG. At least it's another ballhandler. Heck, call it anyway....we could use the experience back there.

PG: Terry

Anderson

Dickau

SG: Johnson

Draft pick/FA/Glover

Smitty

SF: Robinson

Crawford (Memo to new ownership: Eat this contract and bring in someone else)

PF: Shareef

Henderson

C: Ratliff

Nazr

Oh and Emanual: You're a nice guy....Happy Trails....

I agree Steve Smith would be a good veteran pickup. He probably doesn't have much left but his added perimeter shooting would be a welcome addition.

My one concern is that I heard he was a negative influence in the locker room when he was with Portland. Which was a suprise to me because he and Scottie were the team Captains. I do remember hearing that they were really trying to move him his last year in Portland because he was such an A-hole to the younger players. Not that the attitudes improved without him. You guys might know more than me from his Hawk days about what type of teammate he is but that's what I heard.

The defensive end is where Smitty is a problem.He

just can't keep up with anyone anymore.No need to

bring him back if he asks for more than the vet min.

I agree with Jay.

I see JT coming back, but most likely only for one more year.

The Hawks NEED to bring DJ back. I really think he's gonna turn into a star player (not quite all-star or superstar), and think how bad the Hawks would look if they let go a former #6 pick who turns into a star??

Dion is gone IMO. I don't see the development and consistency that would warrant making any kind of long-range commitment to him. Which is a perfect segue to...

Ira, who the Hawks would probably love to sign to the kind of deal that Dion would command, but will probably get offered more elsewhere. The only saving grace is that the team was so bad last year that hopefully it was hard for opposing coaches to watch tape of Ira.

I think the chances of Smitty coming back are very good, and I'd love to see it. As ARR has already stated in true ARR-fashion (you know, only recognizing the bad in everything all the time), Smith's age and knees make him a defensive liability, BUT he's a better perimeter shooter than ANYONE on the Hawks roster and he's a great veteran leader and role model for the Hawks' young players.

DD is under contract so his status is clear.

So with:

JT/DD

DJ/Smitty who becomes the fifth guard?? I wouldn't be surprised if he came from the draft. With the Hawks' free agency spending options extremely limited plus the contract status of the frontcourt players (SAR, Big Dog, Theo, Hendu and Nazr all locked up) it would make sense for the Hawks to hope that they can draft a guard that can stick.

• Premium Member

Saying that we give Smith 1 year 1 million dollars... vet min.

That leaves us with a MCE.

If we decide to use it on a FA Gaurd... Here's what's available.

Raja Bell - Don't want to give him that much.

Shammond Williams - Don't want to give him that much.

Jon Barry - I'd give him the MCE.

Gilbert Arenas - He's going to the highest bidder (Denver).

Earl Boykins - He's a better PG than JT but we can't afford to give him the MCE.

Posey - I haven't been impressed with him.

Jamison Brewer - He hasn't shown enough.

Reggie Miller - We can't afford Reggie the Hawks killer.

Eric Strickland - I haven't been impressed by him?

Brian Shaw - Nope.

Maggette - Hmm.

Piakwoski - He can hit the three. He's solid. Probably.

Travis Best - Yeah.

Eddie House - Hasn't shown enough.

Kendall Gill - I know he's old, but I would consider it.

Felipe Lopez - I don't know if he's better than Ira?

Rod Strickland - Another old guy....But I'd consider it.

Anthony Johnson (AJ) - Not the MCE... Maybe a vet min?

Kenny Anderson - Yeah.

Robert Pack - NO

Lavor Postell - No

Charlie Ward - Hmm? He's not coming out?

Darryl Armstrong - Yes. I think Orlando will keep him unless they get a good deal on Kidd.

Jacque Vaughn - I'd trade for him.

Randy Brown - No.

Antonio Daniel - YES!!

Jim Jackson - YES...

Mateen Cleaves - No. But for less...

Brent Price - NO.

Kevin Ollie - Hmm?

Speedy Claxton - No

Stephen Jackson - I'll take him.

Voshon Lenard - Hmm?

Lindsey Hunter - Yes.

Calbert Cheneay - No.

One guy I said yes to that would make a sweet deal.....

OLD JJ.

Look at it:

JT/JJ/Grob/SAR/Theo.

JJ has always been a good ball handling SG/Sf. He can shoot the three. I'd take him.

Why would you want two ball hogs on this team. When Jim was here for that run, he did nothing but shot the ball. The only reason he is working in Sac-Town is because he's coming of the bench. He's the same as GRob, better coming off the bench. No way would I want JJ and GRob playing at the same time.

I'd like Steve Smith as an assistant but his playing days are numbered. We have C. Crawford who hasn't given us nothing in 2 years, D. Dickau is still a work in progress. Most folks want G. Rob gone. Will D. Glover continue to grow? Will D. Johnson return healthy/contribute? We need production.