• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Going To The Hawks and Hornets On Friday....

DawsonsCreek

I havn't been to a basketball game in years. Anyone have any tips on going down to Phillips? Ie. How early should I get there for shootaround, whats a good place to eat etc....

I read on the site about cameras(how they are allowed but not proffesional rigs). Anyone ever have a problem with not being able to get in because of one?

Thanks

DC

Quote:

The security is basically non-existent. Philips Arena is listed right after the homeless shelter on the Al-Qaeda attack list.

LOL . . you act like there are security problems in and around Philips during a Hawks game. I've been the plenty of games in the past few years, and haven't seen anything.

Ish . . the scalpers are more of a nuisance, than the homeless people.

The gates open up an hour before the game, so if you want to get to shootaround then that would be the time. They probably shoot for about 15 minutes, then sign autographs, and then go back to the locker room. They don't come back until maybe 15 minutes before tip-off.

Where to eat? Well I am always partial to going up to Headline's Bar & Grill in Philips. Its a great place to grab a beer, and their food isn't bad either. Plus, you can watch the game from the lower level(upper part of it) while you eat, the only problem is it is behind a basket but if you don't mind it then its great. Outside of Philips you have the CNN center which has just about any fast food place you can think of and a Jocks&Jills. So you have plenty of options to eat which is right around the place.

As far as security, the only thing I have ever had taken away from me was food/drink and a cowbell (they used to give them out at the games for "Fanatical Fans"). Just so long as your camera doesn't look professional they won't care.

There is plenty of Parking around Philips and I doubt you would have trouble finding a place. They usually range from around $5 to $20 depending on how far you want to walk. I love going through Centinneal Olympic Park so I usually park a little farther down just to walk through the Park.

Hope this helps and enjoy the game!

If u are coming from the North, take Northside Drive and hang a left right after the Georgia Dome. There is a parking lot below the main level, below the AJC building, but you have to drive throug a maze of potholes and traintracks, but it's free. It's hard to explain how to get in there, but if you try you might find it. There is another lot right next to it, which is covered and costs $5.

Foodwize - eat at the foodcourt in the CNN building before the game and save a few bucks over the prices inside the arena......although I do love the Italian sausage & peppers at the big hot dog stand.

Quote:

The gates open up an hour before the game, so if you want to get to shootaround then that would be the time. They probably shoot for about 15 minutes, then sign autographs, and then go back to the locker room. They don't come back until maybe 15 minutes before tip-off.

Where to eat? Well I am always partial to going up to Headline's Bar & Grill in Philips. Its a great place to grab a beer, and their food isn't bad either. Plus, you can watch the game from the lower level(upper part of it) while you eat, the only problem is it is behind a basket but if you don't mind it then its great. Outside of Philips you have the CNN center which has just about any fast food place you can think of and a Jocks&Jills. So you have plenty of options to eat which is right around the place.

As far as security, the only thing I have ever had taken away from me was food/drink and a cowbell (they used to give them out at the games for "Fanatical Fans"). Just so long as your camera doesn't look professional they won't care.

There is plenty of Parking around Philips and I doubt you would have trouble finding a place. They usually range from around $5 to $20 depending on how far you want to walk. I love going through Centinneal Olympic Park so I usually park a little farther down just to walk through the Park.

Hope this helps and enjoy the game!

Thank You All for your input.