• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Larry Brown Officially Steps Down -

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0526/1559098.html

After six seasons, Brown to step down

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ESPN.com news services

Larry Brown's six-year relationship with the Sixers is about to end.

Newspaper reports indicated Monday that Larry Brown will step down as coach and vice president of basketball operations.

The team is expected to announce the decision today at a 4 p.m. news conference.

According to a report in the Philadelphia Inquirer, the decision was reached Sunday night.

While one of the reasons given for Brown's resignation was fatigue, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported Sunday that he would be a candidate for the Cavaliers' coaching spot.

Other leagues sources told the Plain Dealer that with Brown stepping down, former Knicks coach Jeff Van Gundy and Portland coach Mo Cheeks would become candidates for the Sixers.

Van Gundy is also the front-runner for the Houston Rockets job. ESPN.com's Marc Stein reported Sunday that the Rockets received permission to talk to Van Gundy, who is still under contract with the Knicks through July 31.

Cavaliers general manager Jim Paxson said he wanted to hire a coach with postseason success and an ability to teach young players.

Brown was set to meet with Ed Snider, chairman of the 76ers' ownership group, two sources close to Brown told The Associated Press on Sunday.

Snider told the Philadelphia Daily News last week that the team needs to "move on'' if Brown had lost his enthusiasm for coaching the Sixers. Snider also told the paper he thought Brown was leaning toward not returning.

Brown was on vacation since his team was eliminated by Detroit in the second round of the playoffs.

Brown had two years left on his contract, which prohibits him from coaching another NBA team if he leaves prematurely. With Brown deciding to leave, a big question during his meeting with Snider was likely whether the 76ers release him from that clause, the sources told The AP.

Brown has a 1,285-853 record over 31 years, including a 879-685 mark in 20 NBA seasons. Brown arrived as the Sixers' coach in May 1997 and was 255-205 in six seasons with the Sixers. Brown's first season, a 31-51 finish, was his only losing one with the team.

Brown was inducted into the Naismith Basketball Memorial Hall of Fame in September.

Information from the Associated Press was used in this report

This definitely throws a wrench into my coaching predictions the other day.

So, this is what we have on the NBA Coaching Carousel:

Philadelphia

*Maurice Cheeks

*Jeff Van Gundy

Cleveland

*Larry Brown

*Jeff Van Gundy

*Paul Silas

Toronto

*Kevin O'Neil

*Mark Woodson

Washington

*Paul Silas

*perhaps Eddie Jordan

New Orleans

*Tim Floyd

*Mike Fratello

Atlanta

*Mike Dunleavy

*Paul Silas

*perhaps Terry Stotts

Houston

*Jeff Van Gundy

*Larry Brown

*Mike Dunleavy

Los Angeles Clippers

*???

Portland

*???

Have I missed anyone with a coaching opening?

Lets just say that McDavid comes in and gets Croce to be our new GM, would he be able to encourage Brown to come here and coach? Would it be worth it with Brown's history of coaching for short teams with each team? To me I think its worth it. If he comes here for 4 years and revives this team like he did in Philly I would be all for it. Croce is a man that is loved around the league from what I can gather and would bringn a very intense attitude to us. Now, could we then package JT/21st pick/Nazr/filler to Philly for Iverson? How cool would that be. Of course we would then have to deal Dog most likely for a more well rounded and athletic SF that doesnt need the ball so much because we know AI would be jacking the shots up.....but just imagine Theo/AI/LB/Croce together again. That would definitely be exciting in my book.

My guesses on coaching:

ATL - Silas? Stotts? Not sure where all these Dunleavy for coach (gm ok) is coming from.

Philly - ??? JVG/ Cheeks (where did this come from?)

Houston - JVG - I really think he might go there ~ they've got what he wants in a franchise, a pg, and a possibly dominant center (nice mix of youth and vets on the roster as well)

Toronto - O'Neill

Cleveland - Jordan/ Silas

New Orleans - Floyd. They're going to go cheap ~ some leopards never change their spots.

also, since when is Cheeks out of a job in Portland?

I'd rather get someone who will give us more stability at the coaching position, and I'm not sure Croce would bring Brown in. I think Brown was one of the main guys that railroaded Croce in Philly and got him ousted.

who knows about Portland. With Cheeks showing that he can coach and connect with players, combined with the previous assortment of poor off court players, I think mgt. is/should retain Cheeks and focus more on which players to trade/not resign/go after in FAcy.

One person's trash is another person's treasure.

Why are all these coaching candidates without a team

right now? Most of them are without a team because

some team didn't want them or didn't want to pay them

enough money to keep them.

Quiet an impressive list of coaches seem to be available

right now, including the newest from the 76ers.

Would the Hawk's coach be considered free or is he still

under contract to us? If he is free, would he not also be

considered by one of these teams?

Of all the available {At least, seems to be available}

coaches, Stots is not the worst of the whole bunch.

He coached only part of one season here with less

than a full staff of assistant coaches and didn't do too

bad. He is young and now has some experience.

Sometimes. the best deal is one that is never made.

Could Stots be our new head coach? We could do worse!

this be the case for the Hawks? Could he be our